Announcements
You Could WIN A Year Of Wireless Service – Learn More!

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Thu, May 11, 2017 7:32 PM

How to file a complaint with DirecTV????

Gentlemen:  I want to file a formal complaint regarding the abusive behavior of a call center employee for Direct TV.

I am moving to another state and I cancelled my CenturyLink broadband on May 11, 2017 giving two weeks’ notice. I was then transferred at about 10:00 am MDT by them to a Direct TV call center to cancel that service.

The Direct TV employee ignored my request to cancel service and kept me on the line for about 20 minutes while he insisted, against my protests, to give me “deal” after “deal”. I just wanted to cancel. He threatened me with a $200 penalty fee plus two $20 dollar penalties for cancelling. I told him that I had read the contract and the two $20 fees were appropriate but the $200 fee was not. He insisted that I was going to have to pay at least $240 to cancel.

Fed up, I asked to be transferred to his supervisor. He would not. He started to cover his tracks by stating things for the recording which were NOT truthful. He was threatening ($240), covering his behavior with false statements and, in the end, would not transfer me to a supervisor. He placed me on hold, came back to me once to see if I was still there, then cut me off my transferring me to the incoming message box which announced that “all representatives are busy”. He will tell you that was an accident, or I hung up or some other business that was not his fault.

I called back to Direct TV about 10:30 MDT and was connected to a supervisor who put in a cancellation order for me. I asked him to follow up on my oral complaint. He said he would but that the rep may have been at another call center so he would have to forward it.

Please listen to the last 5 minutes of the recording of my May 11, 2017, 10:00 am (approximately) telephone conversation with this rogue representative. Never in my life have I been so abused like this on the telephone as a customer.

DTV Acct: ***

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

1 year ago

Here are the locals that DirecTV would have for your area as permitted by the FCC: www.directv.com/locals

If DirecTV is negotiating with your local station for continued carriage you can usually keep an eye on it here: http://promise.directv.com/keeping-you-connected-to-your-local-stations/

Channels are subject to change. DirecTV cannot force the channel owner to give them permission. Channel turns of their feed to increase costs. That increase would come from us customers. Since locals are designed to be received by their free over-the-air (OTA) broadcasts, I do not want my bill going up because of channels that are otherwise "free". If you are in an area with poor to no reception for OTA broadcasts, that is unfortunate Perhaps complain to the channel owner for wanting to raise costs. Most people go to DirecTV for the pay channels, not the free locals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

34.1K Messages

3 years ago

@mofarmer This is a customer to customer forum, not customer support. You can try sending your complaint to @ATTDIRECTVCare via private message. This is also a public forum, please remove your personal information. Even if cancelling, still not good to post your account number.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

3 years ago

Agents would be expected to try and find an option to keep you, but it sounds like that one went overboard. As for the Early Cancellation Fee (ECF), it is not multiple fees. It is valued at $20 for each month remaining. So if out of a 24 month agreement you have 12 months left, that would be a $240 ECF. It depends on when you last updated your agreement on when it ends (Initial offer, equipment upgrade, move, special discount offer).

This is a customer to customer forum. Since you have already canceled your service, if you want more than what you got with your last call, you can try sending a private message to @ATTDIRECTVCare instead.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

x

@Juniper wrote:

Agents would be expected to try and find an option to keep you, but it sounds like that one went overboard. As for the Early Cancellation Fee (ECF), it is not multiple fees. It is valued at $20 for each month remaining. So if out of a 24 month agreement you have 12 months left, that would be a $240 ECF. It depends on when you last updated your agreement on when it ends (Initial offer, equipment upgrade, move, special discount offer).

This is a customer to customer forum. Since you have already canceled your service, if you want more than what you got with your last call, you can try sending a private message to @ATTDIRECTVCare instead.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you but what precedes @ATTDIRECTCare? CustomerService? CustServe?
What?
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.7K Messages

3 years ago

Just click on the link @ATTDIRECTVCare, then you can select to send them a private message. 

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks. Your reply is very helpful

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

3 years ago

Sorry about that. Even though it is a highlighted clickable hyperlink, I get it looks like the end of an email address. I shall work on clarifying that in the future for others.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have just spent 1:33 minutes on the phone fighting for a $200 gift card that was promised to me when I switched from my cable provider to Directv.  I have followed up six times and today was told that I didn't redeem it within 90 days so it is no longer valid.  I have been trying to redeem in since January! 

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

DirecTV has gone to the dogs. I first started using DTV in the Summer of 1992 and was mostly satisfied for 20 years but of late they show the character of a cheat on a carnival midway. "Find the pea under the 3 cups folks! Step right up!" The fact that they do not allow any method of filing a complaint says a lot. They don't want to deal with your silly problems they just want to hold you captive. I am not going to use them anymore. I will use ROKU for the good stuff and an air antenna for local stuff.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

After receiving the attached promotion in the mail I called Direct TV regarding the installation of Direct TV, internet service, and phone service to replace my current service with Optimum. I was asked if I previously had Direct TV service which I did and told the sales rep I was considering coming back to Direct TV because of the promotion I received. I asked if the internet services had improved because that was my reason for leaving. I was told that the service had improved and was provided by AT&T now and I told him I had service with Verizon two years ago. I was asked my address which is   Lakewood, NJ 08701. We discussed the different packages with Direct TV and channels available. I elected the Choice package at @$29.99 monthly, with 3 premium channels at no cost for 3 months, NFL ticket for 1 year at no additional cost. I was told because I was bundling the service the $29.99 cost for Direct TV would be provided for two years, and I would receive $100.00 reward AT&T card. When I asked about the $200.00 reward card mentioned in the  flyer I received, I was told I would have to have AT&T cellular service to receive $200.00. I told the sales rep that I had Consumer Cellular service and was very happy with this service, that I would will to sign up for 2 year contract with Direct TV and the package he descripted to me. Direct TV service at $29.99 for two years, internet, and phone he stated my monthly charges would a little over $90.00 monthly plus taxes and fees. I told the sales rep that I wanted the keep my same phone number he stated this would not be an issue the technician would hook up the TV, internet & phone and before he left I would have the same phone #.  He asked my SS# to check my credit references, everything was good. He asked if he could set up installation for Wednesday Aug 16th, but I would not be home so we agreed on Saturday Aug 19th between 8am- 12 noon.

On Friday the 18th when I got home my home phone died I wasn’t sure if AT&T started the transition from Optimum to AT&T, or if my phone battery died because it was old and my other hand sets for the phone had already died. So on Saturday the 19th morning I got up I tried calling to find out if the transition had begun or if I needed to run out and get another phone set up. I tried calling the number on the flyer  , after calling three times and getting disconnected each time, on the forth try I was final connected to a recording that the office was not open until 8am. So I began my phone calls again at 8:18am (on my cell phone, because the house phone was not working) after seven calls of being transferred and disconnected along the way I finally spoke with someone who stated they would check because the transition could have begun with my phone service. Mind you that every single caller asked my name, phone number, and address in NEW JERSEY. After checking the person stated that he could not find that installation was set me for me, that all they could find was that my service has been disconnected??? They asked if I wanted to set up installation and told him that I would wait to see if the technician arrived as scheduled. I then when out brought a new phone set up came home set up the phone which was now working, it was the batteries in the hand set that had died.

The technician arrived around 10:30am - 11am asked about access to the attic area and if the dish could be installed on the roof, he then began working. While he was working I lost internet service and phone service, which I thought was normal. He finished working around 2pm and started setup the TV services in my living room & bedroom when he was done he gave me the Tips & Tricks booklet. I asked about him installing the internet and phone services I ordered, he stated he only does TV installations and that another technician would be coming to install internet & phone. I told him that I was told one technician would be installing everything and I would have phone service before he left with my same phone number. He stated that was not correct the Ernesto or another technician would do the installation for these services. I asked if there was a work order that I had to sign and if he could provide me with my account number. He stated NO, and I was surprised that there was nothing to sign no proof that I received the equipment or install, but he stated that he does not provide paper work. I asked if he could call someone to check on the installation of internet & phone he stated that there wasn’t anyone he could call, but gave me his name and contact number Peter ***** he I had questions. After Peter left I realized I did not have the premiums channels or NFL and called him but he said he did not install these channels and I had to speak with someone at Direct TV.

At 2:12pm I started my nightmare of information search from Direct TV & AT&T. First I was disconnected after giving my phone number, name, address in NJ and explaining my story I was transferred and disconnected. Called again same thing and was told they would transfer me to AT&T to see if technician was coming today or if I had to set up installation with AT&T because there are two installs needed, one for the TV and another install for AT&T internet & phone service. Again I had to provide my phone number, name and address in NJ, but now when I provided my address the rep stated NEW JERSEY and asked my address again he stated we do not provide internet and home phone service in NEW JERSEY. To say that I was shocked is an understatement. I told him that this is the first time I was told this and went through my story above and all the different Direct TV representatives I had spoken with starting with the sales rep on the 15th and that they all had my address in NEW JERSEY. He told me he was putting me on hold and talking with a supervisor regarding my situation and would get back to me. I was on hold for over 30 minutes when I gave up and hand up because the battery on my cell was dying. This call was for 46 minutes and 34 seconds. I got my husband’s cell and called back Direct TV. After giving my phone, name and address to the initial recording I was again transferred to someone I explained what was going on and begged that they transferred me to a supervisor or manager that could help me and provide assistance and information. She agreed and I waited another five minutes or so before being transferred to Luis ( I found out he was not a supervisor or manager) but he stated he would try to help. I again gave my name, phone number and address because Direct TV reps do not speak with each other so for each person I spoke to I had to retell the events of the day. He stated that wireless internet service was provided in NJ, but would check to see what was needed. First he tried to find my account #, but all he could find was acct#   which was disconnected years ago. He then stated he would have to transfer me to someone else. I was transferred to Edgar again name, phone number, and address and recounting the events of the day. I’m sorry I am repeating this, but this is what was happening with each transfer. Edgar told me I did not have service with Direct TV, I told him the system was installed and technicial left an hour ago, and I had the technicians phone #, he spoke with his supervisor and told me to find the ID number on the Direct TV receiver. Once I gave him this he was able to tell me my new account #  . Now he had to transfer me to another person because he could not help me. I was transferred to Adrian emp ID #  , again name, phone number and address. I explained the events gave him both old & new account numbers and that presently I have Direct TV service but none of the free channels offered in the promotion, and I am still paying for Optimum internet & phone service but neither are connected, and I do not know if internet & phone service are provided by AT&T even though I was sold the package to be installed today. Adrian checked and verified and internet service and phone services are not provided in NJ, but worked to get me the premiums channels and NFL Ticket per the promotions which he did he also gave be one or two other premium channels and stated that they would be credited for the first three months, and if I did not want to continue the service for these channels I had to call to disconnect service for these channels before November. I am not even sure which channels I had at that point. I was trying to figure out what I needed to do since I wasn’t going to disconnect my Optimum service until my new service was set up. I have no idea what Optimum will charge me for phone and internet and what this mess is going to cost, or if I can have the Direct TV tech rehook my original set up, then Adrian stated he can try and have the tech hook up the phone and internet that was working before the install of Direct TV but would have to transfer me. He also stated that he now had my service in line with my original offer however he could not adjust the price. That as it stood currently my monthly cost for Direct TV was $69.00. To say I was upset and just wanted to cry is an understatement, I was exhausted by the events of the day. I be sold a package by Direct TV representative and find out the services are not provided in the whole state yet all day I had been giving my address in NJ to numerous people, and the technician that did not know that internet & phone services are not provided in the state of NEW JERSEY. The two promotions I received with the cost for packages at $19.99, $29.99, and $39.99. I could imitation talking to another person. I was then transferred to Deborah emp #  . Deborah asked my name, address, and phone number I gave her both old & new accounts and she listened as I recalled the events and ask her to fix my pricing per the promotional flyer and get a tech to fix my phone and internet because it was working before the install and I am still paying for the service with Optimum that I would need to call Optimum on Monday about what I needed to do with my service. She through the best thing to do was open a case with corporate, she detailed the events of the Direct TX experience and gave me a case #, pin #, phone number to call customer loyalty dept and stated that I would be contacted the coming week to resolve, even though she was not specific about what could be done. At this point neither am I. Not to mention that I will have to paid for a higher Consumer Cellular bill this month because this last call was 2 hrs 49  mins for a total of 6 hrs and 12 mins of phone mins to talk to all the direct TV reps thought out the morning and afternoon.  This was the worst customer service experience, one hand does not know what the other is doing, no one talks to each other, supervisors and managers do not get involved, direct TV reps and sales do not have the slightness idea of what is offered, or promotions. If any one in your organization can help I would appreciate any and all assistance. I need my internet & home phone services with Optimum reinstalled by Direct TV, and the comeback monthly pricing for the Choice package I elected on the 15th of August, I want this price for two year as I was told because I bundled services that I was sold on the 15th, the $100.00 reward card. I am hoping as a gesture of good customer service this price is extended for a third year, and maybe issue me $200.00 reward card for the extra expense I will have to pay for my cell phone minutes and who know what else. Hopefully by then Internet & phone service will once again be offered in New Jersey and I will see improves in customer service.

Feel free to contact me on my cell or work number with questions, advise, assistance, and just plain old HELP!!!

Mary C

Lakewood, NJ 08701

Home phone: [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

3 years ago

@Newjersey58

You will need to go to @ATTDIRECTVCare to send them a private message if you want official support. This is a public customer to customer forum so we have no access to your account.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

send me my $200.00 walmart gift card as promised when I signed up for service... this company service is horrible.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

17.6K Messages

3 years ago

@jaimal

As mentioned above we are customers, not Directv employees. However, Directv itself does not offer store specific cards. A store gift card (walmart, sams club, costco, etc) would be the offer of a 3rd party retailer and as such is not part of the order they send to Directv as that is an additional offer they are making. You will need to contact the 3rd party where you ordered service regarding the walmart gift card.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

ATTDirect is as horrendous as the call center. I, too, have had challenging experiences and I believe they behaved illegally. No one will help. They just stopped communicating cold turkey. I'm at my wit's end. No address exists to send documentation, and they've refused to provide one to me directly. No way to elevate. They just cut me off