Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Mar 5, 2018 8:09 PM

How do you file a complaint against direct tv for unresolved issues regarding my bill

Hello I am very dissatisfied with the service recieved from agents and supervisors with direct TV. The agents and supervisors have given me several different reasons for my having received a Ballon bill in February 2018. They initially told me that I was being charged for equipment that wasnt returned. I actually dropped that equipment off at the FedEx location that was given to me by direct TV. I also took it a step further and call the same day and gave an agent the tracking number. After this was verified I am now being told that I was charged for equipment and installatiin for new genie minis. I recieved a free offer in the mail and before I took advantage of that offer I asked the operator several times to verify that everything was free.... equipment, installation, etc. The agent verified that it was all free. Now I'm being told that I am being charged for it. Not only is this unfair to me. But to add insult to injury agents and supervisors that I have spoken to have been uncaring, rude, confused, supplied varying reasons for charges, and have lied to me on several occasions. I have spoken to about 10-15 operators and 2 supervisors. Each one telling me they were going to escalate the issue find some resolution and call me back. I've not recieved one call back. Each time I call I am connected to someone that provides the same lackluster service as the agents before them. I have been with direct TV for atleast 15 years maybe even longer. I have been disrespected and disillusioned by my treatment regarding this issue and I can't believe that I have paid so much money to direct TV and have gotten so little respect and no resolution. 

Responses

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

We are in the same boat. This has been worst horrible customer service we have ever had in our life. We had a house fire and ever since the transfer has been so bad. Last thing we need right now. We have have documented it for months. ALL the time we have spent is insane. Hours and hours on hold with people that do not understand. We think we are DONE with this company. We have so many records of what we went through. It is something to be looked at. There really seems to be nobody that can help. The last thing was my husband has records of the person, know his name, that promised us a discount because we have been loyal customer for years and the representative that we called today because our bill was totally wrong was very rude and actually told my husband do not beg for discounts. Which we have already documented they said. We are good people and we are just aiming for what is right. This company ***** on customer service and I will voice that to everyone. Not done with me yet. So sorry I am a nice person but this is ridiculous.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I had the same issue about the #free upgrade. I verified everything would be free before agreeing. And to my surprise my bill went up over $50! I never would have upgraded had I known because my bill is already high enough!!! 

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.4K Messages

2 years ago

@PoohAnna wrote:

I had the same issue about the #free upgrade. I verified everything would be free before agreeing. And to my surprise my bill went up over $50! I never would have upgraded had I known because my bill is already high enough!!! 

That should not have happened. 

I assume you had standard definition that was "upgraded" to HiDef equipment?

Perhaps they sold you on upgrading rather than the free swap.  Compare you prior and current bills .... what changed?

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

25.1K Messages

2 years ago

@PoohAnna wrote:

Sounds more like an upgrade than the complimentary MPEG swap. However, even if an upgrade, it would not raise the monthly charges by $50 if you were not adding TVs. If you have only SD basic receivers (not DVR), then the most an upgrade could add would be $10 HD, $10 DVR, and $3 Whole Home DVR (total $23). If added mid-month, you would have partial charges for those services from day of activation to end of bill month, but still wouldn't reach $50 as that would be over 2 full months of those services. I would check the exact line items of that bill compared to the last to see what else is in there.

If you still have them, what are the models of your old boxes and what did you receive?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Also I have been a customer since 2004!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I am in the same boat right now with you. They have done the same thing to my 79 year old father who is not computer savvy so he called me to try to do something about his issues with Direct TV and when I read your complaint I see a lot of the same things he told me as well as them sales calling him to add more channels and he tells them no he gets billed for channels he never requested to sign up for and they are still billing him after he cancelled and returned the equipment and he has called them and has gotten no where and now he is upset because it is a negative on his credit report since he refuses to pay a bill for a service he has not had and he has excellent credit. I will not let this rest, I plan on fighting to get this corrected!

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

👤 Better business bureau
+1 (703) 276-0100

👤 Federal Communications Commission
http://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Can you please let me know if you’re issue was resolved I am currently experiencing the same issue and all i keep getting is the run around and know they want to put the account on collections 

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

I've been billed for 2 mini genie's. I was told they would credit my account which hasn't happened. I called today and the supervisor was to call me back which was 3 hrs ago.
I need to know how to report them.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

This is the worst company to do business with. They have taken a supurb company in Directv and run it to the ground. If you have any type of problem, you will never get it resolved. Customer service is the worst! I am a 20+ yr customer that will be leaving soon. I don't care about the NFL package anymore. If enough people leave, the NFL will find a different provider.

• 

2 Messages

7 months ago

I called in on June 9, 2020 to cancel my service for June 15, 2020 because I was moving. After moving I followed up on June 26, 2020 and was on the phone from 11am until 7pm (all day), to find out the service had not been cancelled and they had no record. Now they are telling me they can not disconnect the service until July 5, 2020 and expect for my to pay for services I am not using. This is a bad nightmare and a scam. They do not give any confirmation for the transaction, but they will find a way to bill you. Horrible experience and I still trying to clear this up.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

25.1K Messages

@rw123 

Sounds like your service month starts over on the 6th of each month. If so then you cannot make June 15 your billing cancellation date. Per the Terms of Service, you pay for the full service month. So you pay for June 6 through July 5, no matter what day you choose to stop using the service. Services under AT&T (including DirecTV) no longer prorate cancellation mid-cycle.

Here is the notice they sent all us customers back in 2018 about the change.

Please read this if you receive DIRECTV, AT&T U-verse® TV, AT&T Internet, AT&T Phone, and/or AT&T Fixed Wireless service(s). We want to remind you that you’re billed in advance for recurring service(s) and/or programming charges and applicable fees based on the terms of your current service agreement(s) with us. Starting January 14, 2019, subject to applicable laws, we’re updating your agreement(s) to include your recurring service(s)/programming charges and fees won’t be prorated if you cancel the above service(s) on any day other than the last day of your billing cycle. Your service(s) will continue until the end of your billing cycle but you won’t get a refund (prorated credits) for any remaining days left in your billing cycle. For products not listed above, refer to their terms of service for more information.

Questions about this change? Go to att.com/ProrationPolicy for more information and to see the revised section of your service agreement(s).

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 months ago

People I feel your pain.   I had Directv for almost 20yrs and have been given every sad story for their screwups but the final straw was when I called in  to complain about my bill and they said they would remove the charge for the HD recorder and the Advance Reciever.   Now that's a $20 credit and the rep said that since it will take 2 months for it to hit the bill she would give me an immediate $40 credit, which she did.   But three months later when the charges should have been removed they were still there.   I called back and they acted like I was crazy and that they couldn't remove those charges.   I mad my plans then to cancel.   June 28,2020 I called and canceled.   That also should have been the last day of my service period so there should have been no need to charge my account any more money.   But AT&T/Directv charged me $146.16 on June 29th and then on 7/3  sent me a notice showing they owed me $141.29.   Mind you they got all their equipment back.   They said they would refund the money to me.   It's 9/10/2020 and I still haven't gotten my money back.    I would strongly suggest that you bypass the deflection machine that is AT&T/Directv management and go directly to the president of AT&T (it will take a written letter and stamp) and file what is called a Presidential Complaint.   It won't be handled by AT&T/Chairman  Edward Whitacre Jr.  but his staff will address it.  (Especially if all the people on this blog/Forum do the same thing!)  This will start the storm that needs to rage on AT&T/DirecTV management to get them to correct the error of their ways.   Raise the point of your years of engagement with the company and that you either demand better service or alert them to the fact that the poor customer service you received is your reason for cutting ties.   AT&T/DirecTV is loosing existing clients in astronomical numbers  and your letters to the top AT&T brass will let them know why.  

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.8K Messages

4 months ago

The first agent had no idea what they where doing, the second agent was correct you can't remove the Advance Receiver fee but you would need to replace the DVR with an HXX receiver to remove the DVR fee. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

25.1K Messages

4 months ago

@CBNAX000 

Unfortunately the original agent gave wrong info. The receiver services are not optional, but based on the level of equipment you have. As long as you have a HD box you pay for HD service. The only way to remove it was going to SD-only equipment, but those options were discontinued in late 2015. If you replaced equipment with non-DVR models, then the DVR service would remove. But as long as you have even just one box that is a DVR, then you pay for the service.

So the first agent gave a one-time credit for valid charges. Either they were very new and didn't understand how receiver services work, or they just did that to placate you and get you off the phone.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 months ago

Interesting that you would say that this must have been a new person  because the contact was on your customer retention team.  I hardly think you'd be putting a new person on that team since the only way customers get there is by threatening to cancel service and you can't afford for them to make a mistake.  Either way, the mistake was made and I canceled my service (oh and spare me the crap about you not being an employee).   

Get started...

Ask a new question