Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Sep 22, 2020 6:09 PM

How can I verify what equipment was not returned?

I cancelled my Directv and returned my equipment 5 days later to the Fed Ex office as instructed. I have the receipt from Fed Ex dated Aug. 17. The receipt lists the quantity and serial numbers of the boxes that I returned. Everything else was lumped together as "accessories." I returned a remote, wall plug, and HDMI cable for each box and the internet box for the main Genie DVR, but the accessories were not itemized on my receipt. The receipt has an RMA number but not a tracking number.

I received an email last week that I was overdue in returning my equipment and would be charged late fees until it was received. I tried customer service but the woman was unable to tell me whether they had received the equipment that I left with Fed Ex or what item(s) were missing. I've looked around my house as advised but the only item I found that might belong to Directv is a co-ax cable. 

I have no issue returning the cable, but I would like to verify whether that is the only missing item before I ship it. Is there any way to verify what items were not returned?

Responses

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

a month ago

Only the receivers where returnable, you own the coax, remotes, HDMI cables and the dish.

(edited)

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

I'm confused. Are you saying that Directv is going to charge late fees because I returned too much equipment? That does not seem reasonable to me. 

When I called to cancel, I was told that everything originally included in the boxes with the receivers had to be returned. I had 4 receivers - 1 Genie DVR receiver and 3 satellite receivers. I remember each receiver came with a remote but we broke/lost at least one remote during the 5 or 6 years that we had the receivers. One of the four remotes that I returned was not the original, but it looked exactly like the others. I couldn't remember if the HDMI cables were included with the receivers or purchased separately so I returned them. I also had a box to connect the DVR to the internet. There was a coax that connected from the wall to the internet box and another from the box to the DVR. I returned one coax but I forgot the one from the wall.

I have a receipt from Fed Ex that shows I returned 4 receivers, itemized by serial number, and "accessories." The quantity and type of "accessories" are not included so I have no proof that I returned the remotes, cables, and internet box.

When I received the email that I had not returned my equipment, I called AT&T/Directv to find out what I had missed. With hold times and being passed to three different "customer service" people, I wasted over 45 minutes and never found out what equipment was missing. They couldn't tell me whether the receivers I dropped off at Fed Ex had been returned. One rep told me to look around for anything that might be Directv's and return it. I'd prefer to know exactly what is missing so I can find it rather than guess. 

I was not told to return the dishes, but those are the only items I know of, besides the coax cable, that I still have from my satellite TV service. I actually have two on my roof because one quit working and the tech who installed the new one left the old one. If those are the "unreturned equipment" then I'll have to hire a professional to remove them.

I was hoping there was a way to check returned/missing equipment online so I wouldn't have to waste time calling again. I've looked but can't find anything.

(edited)

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.1K Messages

a month ago

DTV is not charging for returning to much, Only the receivers are returnable, you own the dish,coax,remotes and anything else. The receipt FedEx gave you is the proof that you returned them so how long it takes FedEx to get them to DTV's refurbishing department doesn't matter.  Until DTV actually charges you an NRF ignore the emails, just hang onto the receipt.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question