Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Tue, Sep 4, 2018 5:34 PM

Here is the latest DirecTV Hacker Scam / FRAUD

Fraud Dept exists.. But don't waste your time calling them they are extremely rude and very unhelpful.  I spoke with the lady named Rebecca who should not be customer-facing ever.  Extremely unhelpful and would not transfer me to a supervisor.

Here is the latest Fraud Text I received today:

"Dear ___________
Account #____________

Do you know you can avail upto 50% discounts on your DIRECTV AT&T bills by redeeming this Promo code: EBAY.
So Hurry Up, call us eight five five seven two six seven three five nine before promo expires today.

Regards,
DIRECTV AT&T"

Responses

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 months ago

They did this to me, and since I have recently inquired about DirecTV discounts (I'm a DTV customer and my previous promotion is over, now bill is going way up).  Everything looked and sounded legit, and both my husband and I fell for it!!!  We are upstanding, intelligent (well, thought so, anyway) people... I have a Masters Degree for heaven's sake!!!     But the timing was incredible, and they had all my info!!!    I actually thought it was in response to my previous inquiries to AT&T/DirectV....     I'm so disgusted not just with them, but with myself for falling for such nonsense!!!     I am always on guard against scammers and spoofers, but I really let my guard down this time.  Don't do it, people.  NEVER again will I accept a "bargain" unless I call myself and talk to the service folks.  I feel gullible, violated, and totally stupid!!!!   UGH!   

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 months ago

@oakberry did you get your money back? 

Did you buy the Ebay gift cards? 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 months ago

Just got a call telling me that since I am a long time customer of Direct TV, I was available for a discount on monthly bill. The deal was that they could reduce my monthly bill to $50.00 per month which was slightly more than half my bill.  I would need to purchase an Ebay gift card for $150.00 and call them back with the number to pay for the first 3 months, then my monthly bill would be $50 per month for the next 21 months. The number they gave to call back was the same as DirectTV customer service on my bill (276-1702) except rather than 800 it was 888.

I called Direct TV who verified it was a SCAM and when I called the number back that they gave me, the initial answer was exactly the same as Direct TV except it had a promotion number option. Brian Edwards assured me that it was not a SCAM and said that customer service would not know about the promotions being offered.

Sounded pretty legit, but I knew it was a scam!!!  He said once I paid the $150 with the Ebay card, I would receive an email with all of the details and a $50 Visa gift card. Sounded too good to be true... and I'm sure it was. Told him I would need to call back once I got the card. Think I'll call them back, ask for him and give a bogus card number and tell him I'll be awaiting the email. Love to waste scammers time!!!

mitchflorida

Scholar

• 

221 Messages

7 months ago

The scandal is that these scammers are getting their information, including your private phone number,  from DirecTV.  I believe they are  located in India and some of them are insiders at DTV.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 months ago

is there any recourse to recoup any or all of the funds paid to this fraud?

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.6K Messages

7 months ago

@mitchflorida With all the hacks that have happened anyone that wants to pay for it can get that info, doesn't mean that DTV/AT&T where hacked or not.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 months ago

Sounds like we have someone giveing out our information from at&t .I did not see this scam till I changedy programing on my account this morning.***** To many folks getting burned with this.I all most fell for it.They would not take debit.Just a eBay card

[Per Guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.6K Messages

6 months ago

How is DTV/AT&T liable for someone most likely in another country using VOIP and VPNS to call you?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

4 months ago

I just got this same scam call from 888-589-0096. Some Indian accent guy supposedly named Jerry, yeah right...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

Told these scammers that I was a federal agent with the FCC and have intercepted the call and have dispatched agents from US Embassy in their area to shut down their operation. They hung up....hopefully yanked the cords out of the wall and ran like (Edited per community guidelines)!

(edited)