AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Tue, Sep 4, 2018 5:34 PM

Here is the latest DirecTV Hacker Scam / FRAUD

Fraud Dept exists.. But don't waste your time calling them they are extremely rude and very unhelpful.  I spoke with the lady named Rebecca who should not be customer-facing ever.  Extremely unhelpful and would not transfer me to a supervisor.

Here is the latest Fraud Text I received today:

"Dear ___________
Account #____________

Do you know you can avail upto 50% discounts on your DIRECTV AT&T bills by redeeming this Promo code: EBAY.
So Hurry Up, call us eight five five seven two six seven three five nine before promo expires today.

Regards,
DIRECTV AT&T"

Responses

tgreaves

Former Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

2 years ago

@debsteph

Anything to ever do with "Ebay", "Amazon", "iTunes" or realistically any other giftcards that Directv/AT&T call or text you claiming if you buy it and send it to them to get a discount is a scam. It's been an ongoing issue for a while now, but this happens with all companies not just Directv. 

I personally like to screw with them by calling or texting them back with fake card numbers then try and convince them its real. I just like to toy with those kind of people.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Nice!

Yeah I yanked his chain a few times myself. I made him repeat the offer to
me 10 times and made him explain it in different ways until he got so
frustrated he hung up.
tgreaves

Former Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

2 years ago

@debsteph

Almost worthwhile turning your caller ID off and calling them back again and again making up fake names each time just to see how annoyed they get. maybe record the call and if u have the ability post ity on here. im sure we would all get amusement from it.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

I received this text yesterday.  Same scam I am sure.

Valued Customer,

Avail 50% discount on your DIRECTV bill by redeeming this Promo code: EBAY.

Call at 1 (855) 863-0217 before the promo expires today.

DIRECTV

Thanks,

James

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Valued Customer,

Last day to get 50% discount on your monthly bill. Use Promo code: EBAY,

When you call at 1 (888) 358-5290 before promo expires.

DirectTV and AT&T

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Text Message:
Valued Customer,

Last day to get 50% discount on
your monthly bill. Use Promo 
code: EBAY,

When you call at 1(888)358-5290 
before promo expires.

DIRECTTV AT&T

Date Received: 12/14/2018

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

This has been sent to my text messages 5 times using this #77292

Valued Customer,

Last day to get 50% discount on your monthly bill. Use Promo code: EBAY.
When you Call at 1 (888) 358-5290 before promo expires.

DIRECTV AT&T

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I had nothing to do when I qot home from work tonight, so I wasted "their" time for 30-45 minutes. You might say they wasted mine, but it was so much fun.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

The directtv 50% off in partnership with eBay is still a fraud. They call and while on the phone activate premium channels like HBO, cinemax and Starz. Then say you need to prepay 7 months of billing to receive 50% off. DONT DO IT. ITS A SCAM

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

How do they activate the channels if they’re not from DirectTV?

• 

1 Message

@Cyns2019 I do not know but they can, I had to call dtv to cancel a subscription to cinemax they added to me. They told me to set my tv to the cinemax channe. Then they added it. To show them I am not a complete fool, I did not get a $300 gift card and call them with the info that they wanted off the card.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I just got a call today telling me I can reduce my bill to $75.00/month if I prepay 4 months of my Direct TV bill with a prepaid Ebay gift card.  Why can't the fraud watchers call the same fraudulent number I call to catch them?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

They attempted to scam me with the Ebay / Directv gift card advanced payment.  By phone and email sounded credible since they confirmed my Directv account number and my most recent Directv bill payment amounts.  Called Directv and after insisting to talk with supervisor RB or Arby, they confirm it was a scam.  They believe that it is and internal Directv fraudulent network.  They were to investigate and get back to me, but nothing at this time.  Since I have not been hacked, I strongly suspect that Directv has been hacked.  Arby denied it but will complete investigation.  I believe Directv needs to step to the plate and communicate to all their customers of this potential hack/breach to Directv accounts/system.  

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

They have done this me but wanted Amazon gift cards & now the 

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

2 years ago

They got me last year with using Amazon gift cards & now they keep hounding me with texts for Ebay gift cards to get at&t discounts

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

2 years ago

@Sjacobsen wrote:

They got me last year with using Amazon gift cards & now they keep hounding me with texts for Ebay gift cards to get at&t discounts

Once they successfully scam someone, they think you're an easy mark and keep trying. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question