Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wed, Sep 19, 2018 8:30 PM

Does DIRECTV offer Senior discounts?

Are there any options for senior citizens on fixed budgets to subscribe to an economical phone/tv/internet bundle?

What is the cheapest bundle available?

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.7K Messages

2 years ago

DirecTV does not offer discounts to specific groups of customers (senior citizen, military, low income, etc.). Promotions are based on your individual qualification (credit), depending on the current special running.

If you order service, make sure you read the order confirmation before you are installed. That way you clearly understand amount of discounts, the length of them, and what the full price will be. And review that first bill of course. Wish more people would read their paperwork.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

40.2K Messages

a year ago

@tonyzavala No, there is no senior discount.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.7K Messages

9 months ago

Intro discounts are for 1 year. Any later discounts can be for 12 or 24 months, or in rare cases perhaps 3 or 6 months depending on the special. Use that time to review your channels and choose the right package for you based on what the full cost is as discounts may not always be available.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

2 years ago

no senior discounts

you would have to look at the web pages to see the cheapest

pay attention to the price after the credits expire

build a pack to see fees and other things

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Is there a senior discount from att. existing customers..

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 months ago

Att Representatives are saying that there is Senior Citizens Discounts. Need to enlighten them.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.2K Messages

9 months ago

@DeShun03 wrote:

Att Representatives are saying that there is Senior Citizens Discounts. Need to enlighten them.

Maybe for phone services?  Certainly not for DirecTV Satellite.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.7K Messages

9 months ago

@DeShun03 wrote:

DirecTV does not. But other AT&T services (phone, internet, etc.) might.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 months ago

I am a long standing customer of Direct TV and was shocked and appalled when I received my bill Oct.15, 2019. It had jumped from 71.99 to 114.96. I nearly fainted, this was over 15% of my SS# check. I called DirectTV and was told to call back on 11/3/19, when I paid my bill. I did. I was told, They would cut down my programming which they did, and boy did they! I called back the next day and got this wonderful young man named Brandon, I explained my situation to him, and he also told me I was suppose to be getting 259 channels (which was news to me) I was only getting 58 channels. So I said, I think you owe me money! But I had already started crying, I knew I was going to have to have the TV cut off. I didn't mention that I am 69 and in very poor health, I have a nurse 5 hours a day, and cannot drive any more, and can't even go to the library to get books. I was beside myself. I have no family or anyone that lives closer than 350 miles (one niece). He had already told me, he could give me the the same package for over a hundred dollars, I told him the facts, blubbering all the while and the poor fellow didn't know what to do with me (and I didn't either) He said hold on and I thought he was calling 911. He came back on the line and had talked to his supervisor and they gave a PACKAGE for ONE YEAR for $66.99. I did get uncontrollable then. I have truly been blessed by Brandon and DirectTv. I just hope it holds for a year, I ask that and he said it would, so I don't want people saying AT&T and Direct Tv are scamming senior citizens. They are not!! 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 months ago

You are wrong!       Read on down!!!!!!!!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21.7K Messages

9 months ago

@ladysara1 

Very glad you were able to get a discounted price for a year. Not many people can get a discount like that currently, as specials are being reevaluated per some customers were too costly.

You are correct, DirecTV/AT&T are not scamming Senior Citizens. TV is a luxury entertainment service so does not have fixed/low income programs like for other utilities that are considered necessities (at base level) such as phone, electric heating, etc. The issue is some people out there feel they are entitled to be given what they want, without having to properly pay for it.

This is why I always suggest for anybody to review your services at full cost. That way even when you enjoy a discount, you know you can afford it going forward after that discount ends. And remember, those discounts count down on every monthly bill so simple tracking to know when to expect that normal full bill.

Just make sure to read through that next bill, and order confirmation if you received one in your email, to make sure all is as expected. The big thing to check is even if the bill is lower, to see if it is a monthly discount (for the year you mentioned), or if the agent only gave a one-time credit (a situation I have heard too often). If it is the expected discount, then very glad for you and hope all goes better. If just a one-time credit, though bad of agent for giving wrong expectation, at least it gives some breathing room while you decide what to do going forward.

Best wishes to you in any case.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

40.2K Messages

9 months ago

@ladysara1 wrote:

You are wrong!       Read on down!!!!!!!!

Who is wrong about what? If you are saying that Directv does offer senior citizen discounts, they do not. Whatever discount you got was specific to you. There is no guarantee any other customer can get that whether a senior or not. Glad they took care of you, though.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 months ago

@ladysara1  Some libraries offer books online.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 months ago

I have been trying to type in a reply to you about everything that has
happened and it disappears.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 months ago

Good for you. Just remember that the package you were given will expire in one year ... be sure that when it's time to... renew your package.. pick the right one.

Get started...

Ask a new question