Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Fri, Aug 24, 2018 2:17 AM

DIRECTV retention promotions

my ultimate package in direct tv has resumed to normal price of $149/month after paying $40/month x2 yrs.. I spent 2 hrs w/ loyalty program 8/22 for a promotion to maintain my package and was told by 3 different depts there were no promotions available  I calle d8/23 to cancel service and all of a sudden they offered $45/ month discount  . I don't trust them and don't understand 2 hours yesterday negotiating to keep service was met with " guess you will have to cancel"

Any thoughts

Responses

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

a year ago

Since att merger, customer service not what used to be.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

a year ago

@caspvol wrote:

Since att merger, customer service not what used to be.

And?

If you would like assistance, post the details. If you want to complain about a specific customer service issue, then call DirecTV. We as other customers can only do so much.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
bear350

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

a year ago

Do you Folks at DirecTV even want to be the best Digital Tv Provider out here anymore >?   I am not happy with what they did to me after almost 20 years of Service,  Ya know the so called Service Department did for me ? Well here it goes, They told me if I wanted a better price to go get a different Service,  So Guess what,  I did.  I am now the Proud owner of a Hopper 3 with sling to Super Joeys and whole Home Service HD Free for life which DirecTV charged me 10 or 12 dollars per month, and charged me Again for the ability to Record them for another 10 bucks per month, whole home for 3 more likely 5 dollars per month now,  It's included in my package for life my HD DVR has 16 tuners and can record way more TV. and all for 77.00 per month and I have just as much TV as DirecTV had.

Ya know they will more than likely Delete this Post which for the life of me I will not understand,  I would of Stayed and paid but when I am told to go somewhere else after being a customer for almost 20 years, it felt like a FIRM SLAP IN THE FACE.  and that is really to bad.  I did like their service but that was the last Straw,  Paying 169.00 per month and saving almost 100.00 per month for 2 whole years is a very nice side that DirecTv only showed me before AT&T bought them out.  I was able to keep my bill lower without spending hours on the phone and very kind service reps,  Now it was like pulling teeth, for the life of me I can't understand this, WHY ??  I am saving this post and if they pull it off like they have done to my last few I will just make a Web page and display all my thoughts about how I was Treated and send a copy to the AT&T front office.  

You Tell people to come here and Discuss Issues and then when you don't like what is being said you delete our Posts. 

So do the math, I was told by someone here Dish charges this that and the other thing,  Well that's not True at all.  I am sorry I have to post stuff like this but maybe DirecTv should listen to its customers more and Change what they are doing 

So you can actually change the things that need to be. 

Oh one more thing,, I have Directv on CBS which I tried to call and figure it out but CBS goes out about 3 times per month and gives a Message No Need to Call your service will soon be restored,  Not one time so far in almost 2 months has Dish gone off the air on CBS,  Survivor was notorious for cutting out the words at Tribal counsel and a few others, that kept happening for the past Several years without a fix.  Maybe someday I might come back but for now,  Dish network has been so kind and caring on the phone, and get this,  I f your TV service is having any Issues they call your phone and ask you if you're having issues the guy that installed it showed me how it works,  I haven't had a problem yet  but that is service. 

Bottom line People,  I am saving almost 100.00 bucks per month for two years that's a ton of money to me and DirecTV should really try to Service their longtime Customers with Better Prices and Teach their help-line more Friendly staff. 

I only come here to Help others and Hopefully get their attention, Which like I said this post will more than likely be DELETED because it doesn't conform, So that makes it more easily to take posts down without pause.  That is sad instead of fixing the Problems of having a discussion.  2400.00 bucks saving watching the Same Channels so far I've been very happy hopefully it will stay that way.  I am going to post this in a few spots like Dish, TV.com. and send a copy to the front office at DirecTV. 

You would think  DirecTV would want someone like me,  but telling me to go somewhere else to get a better price and come back as a new DirecTv customer in a year or two.  What the heck is that ?   I Really Liked it or I would not have had it for almost 20 years.  I see the issue with telling people that is now they lost out on,  well do that math and I only did it at 130 is 29.000 dollars that they lost  over the next 20.  

I feel bad about posting this but I thought I should to hopefully get something done As I got sick of being Treated like a 3rd rate customer.

Good luck in the Future DirecTV.  Thanks for all those Good Years of Service, As for these last few years, Not so much.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

a year ago

@bear350 

DirecTV charges the receiver services for the account. Then it is just a flat $7 for each additional TV, no matter the level of box.

Dish charges per TV are based on level of box so can be $10 to $17 each. Multiple TVs exponentially becomes more expensive with Dish in the long run (at least after any intro promotions). Dish also charges for using an external hard drive, changing programming, returning a box, even by not having your box charged to landline phone or broadband internet etc. This is all in their residential agreement on the last two pages. If even with that billing model Dish is still cheaper for you, then fair enough. Because of the costs, and a few things I think is wrong to charge for (hard drive, not connected to other services, etc.) I will not have their service. Also previously they would count the SD and HD versions of a channel twice because they had them as different channel numbers, so same content but 2 different channels, which allowed them to pad their numbers. With DirecTV the SD and HD versions are the same channel number, so not counted twice, and I don't have to memorize two sets of numbers (still have 1 non-HD TV for occasional use).

Posts don't just get deleted for trivial reasons. They get deleted if the post is considered inappropriate by the forum terms of service; a legal discussion, insulting or inappropriate language, personal info included (name, contact info, account number, etc.). In those cases they just delete the inappropriate content, not the entire post unless it was extremely bad. Your post here doesn't seem to have anything that would cause deletion. Though it is a bit difficult to read with no space between paragraphs.

If you kept seeing a message on a channel (that would be the local affiliate of CBS, not CBS itself), then that most likely is the feed from the local affiliate to DirecTV. That could be a problem with DriecTV receiving their feed, or an issue with the local sending it in the first place. Agents over the phone will have limited info as all that is relevant to the customer is a known issue that is being worked on. If the issue is a delivery issue from the channel, then DirecTV can only wait until the local affiliate of CBS fixes the issue. On the other hand if the issue is on DirecTV's end, it would be surprising the issue would go on for very long.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
bear350

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

a year ago

The service I have with dish only shows the channels I pay for there is no extra SD or HD numbers they are not as you say. As for the HD service I was referring to High Def not Hard Drive. although I do have an external Hard drive hooked up to my Hopper 3 it works just fine I just plugged it in and it formatted and works fine. I also only pay for one TV DVR service which is 5.00 bucks, and the Joey's are 5 bucks per and only goes up to 7 per after 2 years I am including a snapshot of what I was talking about.

DIRECTV Equipment Services

Watch DIRECTV on Multiple TVs

3 TVs at $7 each; Save $7 off 1st TV

Advanced Receiver Service - HD

DIRECTV Protection Plan

Advanced Receiver Service - DVR

DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service

So I don't pay for High def service which is 120 per year which i tried to get off but was refused after all those years of being with them and hearing they are giving it for free now, also there's not a charge with Dish for whole home, It's included in the DVR Price.. So not sure what your talking about Hard drive or HD, SD channels are the only channels that show up on dish, the ones I pay for. which is very nice. I didn't hear what your thought about being told to go somewhere else is. I have been nothing but a very kind talking person on the phone or the chat very kind, but told to go somewhere else if I wanted that good of a deal.

I have a Great Tv service right now as long as they continue being good like they have been I will stay, I more than likely would of stayed if not told to try someone else and come back in a year and get a new customer price,

I've talked to the President of DirecTv about a bit over a year ago, that was the only way to get a discount I guess, in which they gave me off 70.00 per month to keep my bill below 100.00 per month, It took almost one week to do that talking to different People but it did get done. So I stayed for the year in contract, I also waited about 6 months of paying Full price 169.97 before Chatting First then Calling them only to be told what I was.

Bottom line is Dish must of wanted me more than DirecTV did. they gave me a unreal deal at 77.00 per month without HBO but i can live with that and I was also given a 300.00 credit card. Price lock for two years and after the two years my price will only go up 9.00 more which is 5.00 for hopper 3 and 2.00 per joey and will continue to unless their package price goes up in which I've personally talked to several Dish Customers and their bill has not gone up in 5 years on the other said their bill has only went up very minimal. I started DirecTv at 39,99 per month almost 20 years later 169.97 I still had the same package with Protection and HBO, But I noticed DirecTv throws in all those other Charges as you can see by my bill.

87.99 package goes almost 80.00 past that with all the extra charges Protection was 7.99 and HBO was 18.00 there 26.00 of it where does the other 50 bucks go ? I appreciate your time if you need any further facts on Dish let me know but I have paid no extra for my external hard drive and can keep everything I want too, with DirecTV I could not save any of my recording with an external HD DVR Recording Device. And only the Channels I pay for are the ones I see on my guide it's really a simple thing there's no extra channel numbers.

They also gave me gold Protection for the 2 years and I have just as many or more channels that I watch than with DirecTv, As for the CBS going out at least 2 to 3 times per month and it been happening for years I really don't think it's CBS that is causing this Issue and if it is DirecTv should have addressed it. IMO it was to many viewers during Survivor because it never failed Clear Blue Skies and the Signal goes out and right in the middle of Tribal Counsel. I did record it if you want I can send you that video to show what was happening. It was very bothersome to have happen every single time.

As for Billing, are we billed in Advance ? Thanks for all your input on this, but after being a DirecTv Customer for almost 20 year and it may have been 20, but to be Treated like a Second Rate Customer and being told to go somewhere else with a rude tone I was shocked that someone actually said that to me.

I may be back someday, but for now I am very happy with what Dish Network has done for me over the next two years that's a ton of savings for a new Customer and I asked what my bill would be after the two and they told me 9.00 more if the package doesn't go up, then it would go up accordingly.

Don't get me wrong I did like it even with the Signal losses I would of kept it, but I am glad I made the switch for the savings and like I said, I have not missed anything except HBO and I have subscription for only 14.00 dollar per month and that's 4.00 bucks cheaper than DirecTV..

One more thing, Before AT&T bought DirecTv their Service Reps where Kind and could actually do stuff to make its long time good paying Customers Happy now it's a stressful mission and getting hung up on multiple times and no I am not a rude person at all I was told to hold and then hung up on, Only to call back and be treated, "well" Kinda poorly. I would go to say it needs some work, but like I always say everything is fixable.

Thanks for your time Bear350.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

a year ago

With dish it used to be that SD channels were in a different range then the HD channels. That is how they counted the SD and HD versions of the channel twice. If they stopped that practice, or have eliminated SD all together then glad they changed it as I never liked the practice.

There was no confusion of mixing High Definition (HD) with Hard Drive Disk (HDD). I was only referencing things that Dish charges for that DirecTV does not, such as the activation of an external hard drive. It was general information for comparison on why I have preferred DirecTV.

DirecTV is not giving HD for free. Their business model had to change on how it was listed, but new and old customers pay essentially the same.

Old model: Primary TV Free, HD $10, DVR $10, Whole Home DVR $3 = $23

New: model: Primary TV $7, HD included (SD only options grandfathered, and now shutting down), Advanced Receiver (DVR and Whole Home DVR together) $15 = $22

Both ways it is $7 for each additional TV, no matter what kind of box (not up to $17 each like Dish shows on their residential agreement depending on what box it is).

Sometimes there may be a welcome back offer, but not guaranteed. Gone too long and you lose all your history and start over as a brand new customer (credit check and such) and beyond any intro special you 'might' get, it would be a while before you built up account loyalty again to qualify for anything particularly good.

If Dish waived some of those fees, then very nice. But I suggest you go on their website, pull up the residential agreement, and look at the last couple of pages which details things they normally charge for.

To answer your question about billing, with DirecTV the bill produces on day 2 of the cycle. This is because it is subscription based which is very consistant unlike other services that are usage based that have to bill after the service month has ended (i.e. cell phones with minute/text overage, and now data usage as well).

Make sure you have read Dish's order confirmation, as some agents (of any company) may say anything to get the sale. That way no surprises.

If Dish's setup works for you, that is what matters in the end. But make sure to inform yourself on those little bits so that you don't get hit hard by anything unexpected later. The differences between the two still make DirecTV my best option.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

dam im not the only one huh..i have been a customer for 14 years and started out paying 29 a month then after that i think it was like 70...fast forward to today i pay 185 a month and get nothing more really than years ago and i have called to ask how this got added or what this charge is and no one can explain it..and dtv always let me be a month behind never called or sent notice or anything ..when att took over they disconnected me and made me pay 400.00 to get reconnected they said they needed all customers to have a 0 balance monthly..i hate it since att took over

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

a year ago

@ashrpblond wrote:

dam im not the only one huh..i have been a customer for 14 years and started out paying 29 a month then after that i think it was like 70...fast forward to today i pay 185 a month and get nothing more really than years ago and i have called to ask how this got added or what this charge is and no one can explain it..and dtv always let me be a month behind never called or sent notice or anything ..when att took over they disconnected me and made me pay 400.00 to get reconnected they said they needed all customers to have a 0 balance monthly..i hate it since att took over

Cost of many things has gone up over the years. In particular the networks charge the TV providers more each time the agreement comes up, which in turn raises our bill as they deal with increasing operating costs. For comparison consider gas prices 14 years ago vs today.

You say DirecTV never notified you when you were a month behind. They send out the statement every month. If you go past due the next bill reflects this, shows a late fee, and quite possibly a date service would be interrupted by if you haven't paid the past due portion. So DirecTV shouldn't have to call you to remind you to pay your bill.

AT&T acquiring DirecTV didn't change how billing works. You are expected to have the bill paid in full ($0 balance) each month. If you don't pay it fully, then you deal with the late fee on the next bill and notice about any possible interruption if it keeps going. This is like most other companies.

If you are at $185 a month then you are on the more expensive side of the service, such as high-end package (possibly Premier?) or have some optional add-ons. I would review what you actually watch to make sure you aren't subscribed into higher or more services than you really use. You can change your package at any time. So you could lower it for awhile to help your finances and raise it back up when comfortable for the budget. If you only use some channels for a couple months for the new season of a favorite show, then changing the package helps as you only pay for the additional channels when you are using them instead of the entire year.

bear350

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

a year ago

Not sure what you're talking about,  But I can Assure you my Price will not Double like DirecTv did to us.  and to save 2400.00 over the next two years without missing anything I had with DirecTv then It's a win for me and a loss for DirecTv as I was a 20 year customer.  I have a copy of the contract which Dish sent me the day I signed up and there's nothing as you state in there,  the only thing is 2.00 per joey that's 4.00 and 5.00 for my Hopper 3 = 9.00 more after two years, 

DirecTv will Raise your Bill almost Double after the First year. Even if Dish Network doubled my Bill in Two years which I doubt will happen It would still be 20.00 bucks cheaper.  

I don't know how long you've been here doing this but I've been with DirecTv for 20 years and it's done nothing but gone up in price without any benefits,. Matter of fact the Service people have gotten very rude to its customers and trying to get a loyalty it a joke I have not got anything from them, No free movies what are we supposed to get with being a Loyale DirecTV customer ? I had to pull teeth to get a Discount on my bill, I paid 7.99 a  month for Protection Package and if my Receivers broke which happened often They made me Sign a new Two year agreement with them, how is that Fair ? I paid for that Protection and had to sign another 2 years to use it ? What is that about ?  Then I had a Receiver that got so hot it was going to cause a Fire and I had to pull teeth to get them to send me a new one, and remember I had and have been paying for a Protection Package for years now 20 to be exact, why would they make me sign another 2 years to use what I am paying for. isn't that just a way to keep Long time good paying customers to keep them as customers ?

Listen I am not here to argue with anyone,  I am here to say DirecTv used to be the best in the Satellite industry, but Since AT&T bought them it's no difference from their Phone service, You can't get a landline without anything extra for under 50.00 bucks a month, Technology is getting better OTA Channels are FREE  But AT&T Keep Raising Prices when all this Tech. is better easier, and doesn't need a bunch of People going out in the Field, So why are Prices going UP and Up ? hold on let me stop you before you answer this one,  There is no Reason.... all I can see is GREED, How many customers does DirecTV have 1.8 million to 2 million customers ? just multiply that by say 50.00 bucks per month and they are taking in 100.000.000 per year Now double that or triple that.  I can't say anything but I know big companies need to make money,  sure, But to gouge people isn't right either.  

There's one more thing I would of stayed with them if not for being told to go see if I can get it cheaper from another Provider. Man I am glad they did in the end, but I more than likely would of stayed and paid.  In the End I am very happy with Dish Network, after all how can't I be,  That's 100.00 dollars per month I am Saving, and I assure you,  I am Watching the same TV I had been watching with DirecTv but for 100.00 cheaper per month, with no HBO of course.

In the end I am happy as of now, and In two Years I'll make sure to let you know how much it goes up, If your right or not we will see but i've talked to several Dish Customers and Like I said in an earlier post 5 years their price has not gone up one penny. I think Dish Network might take the top spot away from DirecTV.  but time will tell and I will let you know. 

Thanks for all your Input on all of this and talking to me over this period.   Oh I still have not received my 169.00 dollar back yet almost 3 months,   I will be calling them soon  and i will record it for my records,  truthfully I don't think DirecTv will refund my money without a fight. if so I will post here and let ya all know.   

For Now God Bless and keep on Keepin.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

My ultimate package just went up to $157. Per month. Then we lost our local ABC & CBS. Next I am sure it will be NBC. called to try to get some sort of compensation but absolutely nothing. Offered to send out antenna to put on back of reciever. Said overnight. 2 days later called them this one said 3 to 5 business days.have been with direct tv since June is 2011 and they certainly do not care about the ones that have stayed with them. They were so much better before AT&T! Getting ready to call Dish now to see what I can from them with out paying a arm and leg. Wish me luck!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

a year ago

@bear350 

Go to Dish's site, and under "Service Agreements" pull up the Residential Agreement for their TV plans. Check the last couple pages. Notice the charges per box (instead of a flat $7 additional TV fee like DirecTV, charge for changing programming, activate an external hard drive, and if you choose not to be connected to landline or internet. This is what I have been referring to. It right their on their site to read.

Dish charges that DirecTV does not.JPG

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

a year ago

@Theriver wrote:

My ultimate package just went up to $157. Per month. Then we lost our local ABC & CBS. Next I am sure it will be NBC. called to try to get some sort of compensation but absolutely nothing. Offered to send out antenna to put on back of reciever. Said overnight. 2 days later called them this one said 3 to 5 business days.have been with direct tv since June is 2011 and they certainly do not care about the ones that have stayed with them. They were so much better before AT&T! Getting ready to call Dish now to see what I can from them with out paying a arm and leg. Wish me luck!

Not all locals are owned by the same affiliate. If you still have NBC, then they are not part of the Nexstar negotiations. Some local affiliates don't pull the feed, but never a guarantee. Channels are subject to change as TV providers do not own them and cannot force them to stay on. As such TV providers have a clause in their terms of service that state this. As long as you receive at least 1 local, the package cost is the same (not charged different for locals for each address), but if you receive no locals at all then there is a no-locals version of the package. No compensation is required, but if you call DirecTV they might do something as a courtesy.

With channels like Cloo, Chiller, and SoapNet no longer in existence, other channels like boomerang are now in lower packages, and Encore has an option to add by itself (without the full Starz pack), then Ultimate may no longer be the right package for a lot of people. I would check the channels you watch to see if you might good to go down to at least Xtra, or possibly Preferred Xtra if you don't watch sports (in particular no RSNs, so no RSN fee in addition to be slightly cheaper than Xtra and has additional channels like Hallmark Movies & Mysteries). https://support.directv.com/dtv-programming/360

The 3-5 business days for DirecTV has been standard for years before the AT&T acquisition. Sure an order might come quicker, but shouldn't be guaranteed to be overnight. Getting a free Local Channel Connector (LCC), even ahead of national launch (not available to the rest of the consumer base), is good enough. Additional money spent to overnight it as well shouldn't be expected in general and agent should familiarize themselves with the correct shipping options.

Regardless if you stay with DirecTV, go with Dish or another provider, remember none of them are immune from negotiations. So this is DirecTV's turn with this channel. Switching will not prevent this situation, or a similar one with another channel, from happening again.

bear350

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

8 months ago

Typical DirecTV Act. Cancel and in your mail box you will get a discount it makes no sense at all.

With the money they could save by not sending out 10 tons of paper per day maybe DirecTv's Prices might be better.

I switched almost a year ago today and I cannot be happier. If you do Make sure you get the Hopper 3 it's just awesome it can record 16 channels at one time and the Features are the best I've seen on the market.

It can save you 1000s of dollars per year. and the quality is some of the best. I don't know why they said I would have to pay to add a Hard Drive I can just hook up any hard drive and Record any movies, shows, Netflix, even Youtube, with out being charged. With DirecTV I had to buy video Capture Device to save anything and it was a pain in the neck. With Dish I can just pull up my Screen and there is an Option to save to External Device, It don't cost me a Penny !!

Get started...

Ask a new question