Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Celebrate all that he does with a gift for every kind of dad!
J

• 

1 Message

Wed, Apr 28, 2021 11:32 PM

DirecTV Cancelation Proration

DIRECTTV CUSTOMERS TAKE NOTE!   WHO KNOWS THIS? 

I cancelled DirectTV six days before end of billing cycle. WHO KNEW that I’d be charged an entire month and not prorated for the six days. Natalie NH447H didn’t mention this little tidbit to me when I called and cancelled.

Called and questioned it today when the billing is the same. NO PRORATED credit. 

I was informed today by Jasmine JW960S that the ONLY way you get service prorated is if you are DECEASED. If service is cancelled ONE day into the billing cycle you are charged an entire month. CONVENIENT that this isn’t disclosed upon cancellation.  

Customer retention, HA!  AT&T is losing people due to their archaic policies and HORRID customer service. Looks like Roku is the way to go. Avoid ATT like the plague. 

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

27.2K Messages

2 m ago

@JohnStankeysucks1 

Actually not archaic since practically all service companies have adopted this billing policy in recent years. AT&T/DirecTV are not the first nor the last.

By the way, this was sent to all us customers in 2018:

Please read this if you receive DIRECTV, AT&T U-verse® TV, AT&T Internet, AT&T Phone, and/or AT&T Fixed Wireless service(s). We want to remind you that you’re billed in advance for recurring service(s) and/or programming charges and applicable fees based on the terms of your current service agreement(s) with us. Starting January 14, 2019, subject to applicable laws, we’re updating your agreement(s) to include your recurring service(s)/programming charges and fees won’t be prorated if you cancel the above service(s) on any day other than the last day of your billing cycle. Your service(s) will continue until the end of your billing cycle but you won’t get a refund (prorated credits) for any remaining days left in your billing cycle. For products not listed above, refer to their terms of service for more information.

Questions about this change? Go to att.com/ProrationPolicy for more information and to see the revised section of your service agreement(s).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

22.7K Messages

2 m ago

DTV changed the prorate policy 3 years ago, they sent an email then and it has been in the TOS since then.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

1 Message

2 m ago

My husband changed from Xfinity to AT&T Internet and Direct TV. It is the worst decision we have ever made. It has been a nightmare with getting our service to work properly. They cannot get the billing right at all. We have had several service calls and each time the technician leaves, the problem still exists. They were supposed to combine the services at the start and they have yet to get that correct. We still must pay for the internet and Direct TV on separate bills (inconvenience). My husband felt we would save money, but we have spent $400 plus in a one-month span with AT&T. I tried paying my Direct TV bill online, and the system does not recommend the account number nor the phone number. This is worse than a migraine headache and I miss Xfinity immensely. This company is horrible at getting your services and bill correct. We had an appointment for a technician to come to our home yet again on Saturday. The technician was a no show, no call...smh!  I am calling Xfinity today!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

27.2K Messages

2 m ago

@BobandHaz 

This thread is about disagreeing with the discontinue of prorating the final/cancellation bill that occurred a couple years ago. Suggested you start your own thread.

Describe in detail your technical issue (symptoms, error messages, etc.). Include model of boxes and what troubleshooting has been tried, as well as what the tech supposedly did.

Regarding the billing, see how the bill matches to the order confirmation DirecTV emailed you. If they match then that is what DirecTV will go by. In that case if direct sales agent, you would submit a complaint through a supervisor. But if through a 3rd party, or AT&T store (they are not employees of DirecTV so similar to a 3rd party), then you complain through the 3rd party. However if the bill does not match the order confirmation (DirecTV's, not one a 3rd party might have handed to you), then you go straight through DirecTV to resolve. Alternatively a BBB complaint is an option.

• 

1 Message

1 m ago

I have been trying to cancel my Direct TV for weeks. Customer support keeps passing me along to different departments that can't cancel my service. Here is the frustrating part. I immediately tell the agent I want to cancel my Direct TV. The agent then proceeds with a line of questioning to verify my account and try and assist me, only to tell me 10 minutes later after holding and explaining my issue, that they do not have the authority to cancel my DTV, and to please hold while they transfer me to the correct dept. They play this game with me for hours on end, until they finally disconnect me, because I won't give up. You can't cancel on line, or through chat and the service agents are refusing to cancel my service. WHAT THE HOSTAGE CRAP IS GOING ON!!!!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

27.2K Messages

1 m ago

@1_Tatchison 

Call DirecTV and when you get the voice system say "cancel". That way you are routed to the cancellation/retention department, instead of dealing with a front-line agent who has to transfer you (after verifying the account so they have a "paper" trail in the system).

Only way to cancel is over the phone. But using the keyword "cancel" should avoid the additional transfers and minimize any hold.

• 

1 Message

1 m ago

I'm interested in what your saying because I canceled my Directv and got a statement in the mail showing a credit but I can not find it anywhere on my ATT combined billing.  I will definitely be contacting Directv and ATT about it.  Thanks for the heads up!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

27.2K Messages

1 m ago

@Slhaugland  

When you cancel service (DirecTV and/or AT&T services) of a combined bill, or simply choose to opt out of the joint bill, it goes back to individual billing. The final statement goes out by itself. If this happens before AT&T has billed for the last month they received, then that goes back to DirecTV which can result in 2 monthly statements on one.

As for the credit showing, that is a little unusual since there is no proration. I would call the DirecTV side first to get the details of that separated bill to see what adjustments may have resulted in that credit balance.

• 

3 Messages

1 m ago

I have had horrible experiences with billing and payments. One month I processed a single payment for service but the person who processed the payment arbitrarily decided to take 2 months out of my bank account. This caused me to have to go to my bank to straighten it out only to learn that the billing/payment dept could have reversed the duplicate charge. Now I'm looking at my paper bill which is from April 19- May 18 and is due tomorrow. When I look at my account online at att.com, the information is showing that the current billing period is Mar 19-Apr 18 and that there was a credit applied for $10. to the previous month but I did not receive any notice about a credit in the prior period/payment. It is suspicious that the online information is different than the paper billing. I have tried to discuss issues with billing and payments, but those that I spoke with do not speak English very well and nothing is corrected. Now we see some sort of credits that have been applied to my account yet I did not take the credits nor did I know anything about them. This is very suspicious. My equipment is old as I have been a long term customer but I am seeing problems that are disturbing that many customers seem to be going through. Please tell me who I can speak with who understands the English language so I can work this out. I don't think I will be a customer for much longer after the issues that I'm seeing with others as well as my own problems with Direct TV

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

27.2K Messages

1 m ago

@patrison 

Online account should only show Mar 19 thru April 18 if you are looking at past bills. Though it may take a day or 2 after the paper bill produced for it to show online, that is still well before the paper one is received and for the cycle starting April 19 then absolutely the new bill should be showing.

If the April thru May bill doesn't show online at all that is very badly delayed. You would need to discuss with customer support on the details if you have questions about the paper bill. There is no way to get a specific person (English first language, location of agent, gender, etc.). It is just call and get the next agent available.

You also threw in there that your equipment is "old", but no other context. Are you having trouble with any boxes or considering upgrade options that may work out better for you? With some more information, including models of each of your boxes, guidance could be given before you call customer support.

• 

3 Messages

1 m ago

The response here is typical of how AT&T does not resolve issues. I need to find someone who can discuss the online billing difference from the paper billing and the credits that were applied through this online account that I know nothing about and do not appear on the paper bills. Note: I am not asking for something unreasonable by asking to talk with someone who understands the English language. 

The paper bills are accurate and were prepared weeks ago so the citing of a few days for the online billing platform to catch up are meaningless as are the ambiguous credits to the online account that are not on my paper bill.

As for the old equipment, more than 9 years old, the online support told me they were going to send new equipment and have not. This was something initiated by them but again, no follow through.

Perhaps AT&T should spin off to a new entity who could actually operate this side of the business in a professional manner before Direct TV loses all of their current customers.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

27.2K Messages

1 m ago

There is no way to guarantee how fluent in English any of the agents are. If you feel there is too much of a communication issue with one, then you callback and try the next agent. Everyone "understands" English in customer support, otherwise if they didn't they couldn't read the system or start a conversation with you.

You said online only shows Mar thru April, not April thru May. My point was based on what you said the online access was missing the latest bill as that was way too late for it not to be showing.

Equipment being 9 years old doesn't mean new equipment gets sent out. They don't just send new equipment based on how many years you've had it. Equipment only goes out if you accept an order for an upgrade (24 month agreement), MPEG swap (if you have MPEG-2 equipment that is obsolete, unlikely at 9 years but not impossible), or a warranty replacement if you had a technical issue that couldn't be fixed with troubleshooting.

What are the models are each box? Was it just because of how long you've had them, or was there an actual reason for the replacement? I am concerned that agent just said something you wanted to hear or placed an order you didn't need (or at least not ideal for your setup).

• 

3 Messages

1 m ago

You ignored valid complaints and have shifted the blame to the customer. Congratulations.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

22.7K Messages

1 m ago

This is a customer to customer forum with no access to any accounts.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

27.2K Messages

1 m ago

@patrison 

Did not ignore anything. Agents must understand English to a point to have a job. Your not likely how fluent they are, or perhaps have a thick accent, doesn't change that.

Since online didn't have the recent bill (well after it should have been ready), that is why I was suggesting to call DirecTV or at least compare the paper bills. If online info doesn't add up, or in this case is missing info, then those are your options to figure out the what is going on with the billing.

I did not "shift blame to the customer" at all. I verified options you have available. In fact I have concern that the agent who ordered (supposedly) equipment is a problem (so agent to blame in that case). Equipment doesn't get replaced because of age. Only if it is malfunctioning, you wish to do an optional upgrade, or there is a change in the service that makes it obsolete would you replace it. Either agent didn't place an order and just said it to placate you over everything else or they placed an order that is not good for your setup (including a 24 month service agreement for no benefit to you).

In case you missed it, this is a public forum of other customers. This is not customer support. We can provide guidance in many cases, but for official support you call. And if there is any communication issue between you and the agent then you hang up and callback and try again. You get the next available agent regardless of your preferences.

Get started...

Ask a new question