Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Mentor

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Oct 7, 2016 1:52 PM

Closed

direct tv/Amazon scam

On Oct. 6, 2016 I was contacted by an Indian sounding person from 1-888-*** saying he was with Direct TV.

Long story short he was offering me reduced monthly rates on my Direct TV bill and I would get premium channels, and NFL Sundays for 2 years.  Said it was a promotion with Direct TV and Amazon.  They were promoting Amazon Gift Cards and if I paid 5 months up front with an Amazon gift card within in 24 hours I would receive a $100 Visa gift card as well.

Originally I agreed, his supervisor came on line to record and verify the agreement.

I was given, what he said was the billing department for Direct TV (1-888-***) and an authorization code to use when I called after purchasing the Amazon gift card.

I got on line and contacted AT&T at 1-800-531-5000 since I am bundled with them.  The girl in billing assured me this was a scam, but she had never heard of it before.  I suggested she contact her supervisor or someone.

I got on line and searched Direct TV/Amazon scams and found this scam had been going on since February!

Why does Direct TV / AT&T not notify their customer and employees of this scam?

This scam is well implemented, to good to be true or not!  Get off you butts and inform your customers!

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Responses

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

If you enter 1 like they instruct you to do after they connect..

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I received this same call twice.  His first call sounded fishy at the time, when he asked me what plan I'm currently on in broken English.  I told the guy it's odd he's claiming to be from DirecTV, but he doesn't know which plan I'm on.  I told him I'm not interested, ran a search on the phone number, and contacted ATT to inform them of the scam.  When he called me again today, I decided to mess with him.  I asked him which plan I'm on - he said he doesn't know.  I asked him what my address is.  He actually knew this, but he couldn't pronounce any of the words, and they are very simple words.  I then got bored and told him I know he isn't from DirecTV.  He told me to eff off and hung up on me.

Why hasn't ATT requested a law enforcement investigation of this?  I told them a month ago I received this scam call, and getting the call from the same guy again was quite surprising.

tgreaves

Former Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

2 years ago

@NolSan

Do you still have the phone number available. I would like to do some further investigation on this.

Also @NolSan please visit and read the following thread https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-Account/MUST-READ-An-in-depth-look-into-scam-phone-calls/td-p/5647377 

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Hi!

The phone number is 888-531-5000.

Thanks!

Nolan
shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.9K Messages

2 years ago

Most likely that number is spoofed and will go nowhere.  So how can DTV/AT&T do anything to block non existent numbers from calling you?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
tgreaves

Former Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

2 years ago

I'll add it to my call back and see where it goes. i'll let you know what happens when I call it.

BTW @NolSan did you get to read that other thread?

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I spoke to DTV on 10-20-18.  We paid our bill to the representative and also set up auto-pay.   On 10-30-18 we received a call from a person about an offer that DTV had available to us.  If we prepaid our bill for four months, we would be eligible to reduce our bill from $112 to $69.99.  We would have to use an Amazon gift card to pay the $280.  We did and then shortly after realized that it was a scam.  Too late.  I was out $280.  I've been communicating with DTV about this to see why the rep I spoke to on 10-20-18 didn't disclose to me there is an active scam targeting DTV customers.  I feel  ATT/DTV should reimburse me the $280 or at least compromise and offer several months of complementary service.   David

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

To what state agency would you report DTV to?  They should be warning there customers.

I live in Calif. 

Tutor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I just received a phone call today from 1-800-288-2020 from a person with a very, very thick Indian accent saying he was with AT&T DirecTV services and was running a promotion.  He stated the promotion was sponsored by EBAY and that I could save $40 per month if I prepaid 2 months of service with a prepaid EBAY gift card.  He also stated I would receive a $100 gift card after I paid the 2 months with the prepaid EBAY gift cards.  I told him that I just called AT&T two weeks prior and already had all the discounts.  He then asked me how much my bill was for all of my bundled services....I almost laughed at him, I thought to myself, wouldn't he know what my bill was if he was really calling from AT&T.  I played along and he transferred me to his supervisor to explain the billing process and how to purchase the prepaid EBAY gift cards.  He informed me that I would only receive the promotion if I called the billing dept. by the end of the day to submit payment.  This person was about to give me the number when I hung up on this pathetic excuse for a human being.  These people are thieves and should be prosecuted for criminal activity.  Next time one of them calls, I will most likely play along until I get the phone number they give me so I can post their scam all over the internet.  Then I will let them know what scum of the earth they are, and tell them that I hope they have a horrific accident when they are spending the money they stole from hard working Americans.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

They just called me with this scam. 11/29/18 3:30pm. CA.

How do they know I'm an att/direct tv customer? Their caller id said att also.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

They told me to call 888-391-7528

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

I filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission on 9/29/17. I have copies of the complaint. To this day, they have not done nothing. I still keep getting text messages from them.

I spoke to a local TV station and they seemed interested in looking at the documents I have. I might go that route.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

20.9K Messages

2 years ago

@thedirthole They bought your info from the person(s) who stole it by hacking data bases or they stole it themselves.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

They are posing and using the name AT&T and Amazon and EBAY. Why haven't you guys attempted to prosecute them?  They are a slander to your name and service. Not to mention the fact that they are thieves.

Curtis

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.3K Messages

2 years ago

@60Falcon wrote:

They are posing and using the name AT&T and Amazon and EBAY. Why haven't you guys attempted to prosecute them?  They are a slander to your name and service. Not to mention the fact that they are thieves.

Curtis

Have you read this thread?

Of course companies like AT&T and Amazon try to stop these scammers.  But it's impossible.  Most aren't even in the USA.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.

Get started...

Ask a new question