Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tue, Jan 8, 2019 4:57 PM

Direct TV Scams

Please be on the alert for scams to reduce your monthly payment and to add premium channels -- all for $50 per month.  Here's the catch.  You are asked to send in the first five or six monthly payments -- generally around $300.  It gets funky on how the payment is made. They ask you to put it on a gift card and call back with the number.  Direct TV never asks for upfront payments for promotions or packages.  They got me once when I first signed up with Direct TV.  Not again.  The phone number they used was 866-978-4731.   

Responses

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.8K Messages

1 year ago

Great advice. Lots of posts here about similar scams.  NEVER trust any offer that requires using Gift Cards for any payments!

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 months ago

I just got the same call and now it is May of 2019. Asking to pay the first 4 months in an eBay gift card. I can't believe people actually fall for that.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.6K Messages

9 months ago

Of course they do, that is why they still use it.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 months ago

Has anyone had the premium channels activated without doing anything?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 months ago

I was offered a sweet deal and they offered free internet. They called using a local # and had my name and address. Google pay $300.00 by 9 pm same day, I played along and got transferred to a higher up scammer.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 months ago

Att direct tv is a scam.  Sent me a cardboard rewards card for 200 points said I could use for anything. Call them up and they sail I had no reward card eve though had the card in my. Hand expires at the end of this month 6/30/2019.  So I canceled my account because they are in breech of the agreed contract.  No one will heat and outright lie to me.when I go to court I will explain to the judge exactly what happened. Please be aware att will send you out a reward card but they will not honor the card. Complete scam 

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.6K Messages

8 months ago

You agreed to binding arbitration.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 months ago

No phone call here, but we were approached at Walmart, by legit looking AT&T reps, on July 5, 2019. They were offering what seemed like a great package deal... 180+ channels & high speed internet for $80/mo, all we had to do was pay $20 right then & it would all be hooked up within a few days. The next Day (7/06) a guy did come to the house but refused to install anything because we have 6 dogs, and left. He was VERY rude as well. On 7/07, another man came out (much nicer), and installed the internet part. As of today, 7/14, we still have no tv. When my husband called to inquire about it, the 1st lady listened to what he had to say, then she told him that she was in the process of finding out what happened with the 1st guy, placed him on hold. 20 min later, another lady came on the phone & made him re-verify our account. Once he did so, she informed him that our acct is under someone else’s name & address, and our 4 digit code was wrong! They also told him that we need to go back to Walmart & cancel the order with the same guys that sold us the package in the 1st place, get our $20 refunded, then call AT&T directly to order, pay in full & have it installed. We were shocked they expect us to pay again... it doesn’t make sense & screams SCAM to me!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 months ago

They call me just about every day from a 1-800 number. They even say if I pay $300 by 11pm tonight they will give me a $100 gift card. I act like Im interested knowing it's a scam then I get transferred to a "supervisor". I asked where they were located out of and he said California. I said what city and he said dont worry about that but I'll give you our address. So the address was some numbers, a street name, I assume a city called Montreal (lol) and zip of 79523 (which is a zip code for Rittiv, Sweeden). Lol what a bunch of clowns.

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

18.6K Messages

6 months ago

@JuggaloBatman87  DTV/AT&T don't do sales in retail outlets, those salespersons are working for a third party company so they have to fix any problems.  Did you get an email conformation notice from DTV?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 months ago

Yes I got a guy with an Indian accent called me and told me that I had to pay extra for DIRECTV I had to pay an extra $200 I think it was I told him he could come and pick up the box anytime he wanted but I Would not pay it he actually called me back again and I hung up on him

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

6 months ago

The guy with the Indian accent only called me twice once when I hung up on him and the second time he asked me why did I hang up on him and I hung up on him he said he would call back the first call he said he would call back on Friday a technician with culture remove the box from the house or whatever and but he never called so I don’t think your callback year because I was pretty upset

• 

2 Messages

Direct Tv in general is a scam. I was quoted bogus rates and discounts to sign up only to find out the prices were actually a lot more and the existing customer (AT&T phone/existing customer does not exist). Customer service in Philippines could care a less. "Installment contractors abandon appointments or don't show up at all" per a supervisor. This company is the worst of the worst.

• 

1 Message

4 weeks ago

Just got a call...said they were from Direct TV.

The number on the caller ID: 1- (Phone number hidden)

Had promotional offer to reduce my 94 year old mother’s monthly bill down from $136.41/mo to just $74.99/mo for the next 24 months for her same program package with no new contract necessary. Would have to pay the first 4 months Jan Feb Mar & April up front...then continue paying monthly for the next 20 months. Would be given a promotion code by a supervisor and was told to call (888) 305-0636 Extension 1 to arrange payment. Would receive a $100 Visa gift card for taking advantage of this promotion. They had my mother’s first name and strangely enough when I asked them

to provide her Direct TV account number, they were able to do so. Said she had until 8pm tonight to take advantage of the offer. I said “Just give me the promotion code and I will use the phone numbers I have for Direct TV to verify this promotion” at which time the caller hung up! I hate to think they might have been able to take advantage of my mother had I not been in town visiting...especially when they knew her Direct TV account number! I cannot believe how clever these disgusting scammers are!!!

If it sounds too good to be true...it is a scam.

(edited)