Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Thu, Jul 27, 2017 3:09 PM

Closed

Complaint Letter addressed to DirecTV and AT&T.

7/26/2017

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing a complaint letter addressed to DirecTV and AT&T.

I started the painful process of beginning a relationship with DirecTV and AT&T on or around April 10th 2017. I called in and spoke with a DirecTV sales representative who sold me on not only purchasing DirecTV service, but also switching from T-Mobile to AT&T for a $25 monthly credit off my DirecTV bill.

During the phone conversation with the sales rep from DirecTV, he explained the costs for both AT&T and DirecTV services over the phone. I actually had him explain the monthly billing on both AT&T and DirecTV twice. The sales rep explained to me the following:

• My monthly bill for DirecTV would be $65.83; which would also be credited $25 per month for setting up AT&T Cell phone as well. The monthly bill should be $40.83 plus taxes moving forward (less than $50.00 total).
    • This would take 1-3 billing cycles to have the $25 applied
  • My monthly AT&T bill would be $65-$70 total including taxes/fees and this would allow me to get the $25/month credit towards the DirecTV bill
    • This bill has been as stated on the phone with the sales rep

At first, when he informed me of the option to bundle the Cell Phone (AT&T) with TV (DirecTV), I actually had him repeat these monthly dollar amounts to me to make sure I was hearing and understanding him correctly. The repeated what I should expect to see on a monthly statement moving forward. At this point, I decided to move forward with the offer. He collected an initial payment from me over the phone and sent me a confirmation email of the TV plan. At this time, I contacted AT&T and let them know I had spoken with a DirecTV Sales Rep and that I was looking for the $25/mo credit offer towards DirecTV bill. The AT&T service was set up.

From April to June, I had 3 billing cycles and this is what my bills had actually been:

April

• DirecTV: $73.andchange
  • AT&T: $0

May

• DirecTV: $82.andchange
  • AT&T: $150.11

June

• DirecTV: $82.andchange
  • AT&T: $71.82

I called in a spoke with a rep on or around July 3rd 2017 to make sure I would not be charged for any of the premium services, since my 3 month free was nearing (April 10-July 10th). He helped cancel my premium channels but let me know that since I have the Unlimited Plus plan with the AT&T contract, HBO comes free of no charge. He left HBO on my account and removed the other premium channels.

I also asked him when I should see the $25 monthly credit applied to the account. He forwarded my concerns to have a supervisor look into why the $25 credit was not applied. I never actually spoke with a supervisor from this conversation.

My July bill statement is now available (as of today 7/19) and now I’ve been billed the following (and charged by DirecTV):

July

• DirecTV: $109.andchange
  • AT&T: $66.andchange

Okay, so the sales rep in April did tell me months 1-3 the bill may be high before the $25/month would be credited. So, why in the 4th month is my bill now $109.andchange? That’s a large discrepancy from $40.83+tax.

I called into DirecTV on July 19th, to question the newest July bill, because at this point, I 1) had not spoken with a supervisor like the customer service rep on July 3rd promised, and 2) the 4th DirecTV statement is nearly 3 TIMES what I initially agreed to over the phone with the sales rep (Remember, $40.83 was what my expected monthly bill should be plus taxes, this was explained in April). For the record, my AT&T July bill is right in the ballpark I was explained by the sales rep, so no complaints at this point with the most recent July AT&T bill statement of $66.andchange.

During the call on July 19th, The DirecTV rep (Romeo – ID#   was kind enough to explain to me that I was actually charged for HBO (the premium channels the July3rd rep left on the account thinking I would be getting it for free monthly as part of the Unlimited Plus).  I also was being charged for a ‘Protection Plan’, which he kindly credited my account for May, June and July charges, and he removed the ‘Protection Plan’ moving forward. He assured me my bill would now be $65.83 moving forward, but that he would need to connect me with AT&T to look into the $25/month credit that is not being applied.

I think to myself, Great, that sounds easy enough. Nothing is wrong with my AT&T bill. AT&T will apply the $25/mo credit moving forward and apply a $100 credit for April-July and all will be good in the world. Wrong.

I spoke with a ‘Penny’   in billing. She informed me that I was placed into the WRONG AT&T CELL PHONE PLAN. I am apparently in the Unlimited ‘Choice’ plan. This is why the $25/mo credit is not posting to my DirecTV account. The cell phone plan I needed to qualify for the $25/mo credit is the ‘Unlimited Plus’, which was quoted as $95/mo for the first time on 7/19/2017. She asked me if I wanted to get into this plan now to receive the $25/mo credit? WHAT? In April, on the initial call, the DirecTV Sales Rep explained what I should expect to see as a monthly bill moving forward, and it was $65-$70/mo, NOT $95/mo.

Penny, bless her soul, transferred me to ‘Janice’   in Atlanta in ‘Customer Loyalty’ AT&T, who couldn’t help. Janice then transferred me to another guy in AT&T, who I believe stated his ID# as   AT&T Rep ID# informed me the most he could do on his end is credit me the $100 for the $25/mo credit missed in April, May, June and July.

ME: Okay, so $25/mo credit for April, May, June and July at least makes me whole for the prior month statement, thank you, but what about the future billing cycles? I will be paying $25/mo more than the sales rep told me I would pay.

AT&T Rep  : Nope, you don’t have the right cell phone plan to apply that credit moving forward.

ME: WHAT? The DirecTV sales rep is the one who told me about this offer, is the one who told me what I should be expecting to pay monthly moving forward, which is the ONLY REASON I SWITCHED TO DIRECTV AND AT&T, and you’re telling me that you are not able to credit the account moving forward?

AT&T Rep: Let me see if we can conference in DirecTV to see if they will credit your account moving forward.

DirecTV rep is conferenced onto the phone with AT&T Rep   on the line. The DirecTV rep  is totally not helpful. So I ask for a supervisor.

DirecTV Supervisor Stephanie  is introduced. I re-re-re-reexplain my situation, and bluntly state that I request either a $25/mo credit applied to this account monthly throughout the duration of this 24-mo contract agreement, or, I request the ability to cancel my ’24-mo agreement’ with a waived cancellation fee since the original agreement is null and void. Stephanie, with DirecTV, explains to me that the most she can do is credit my account with a one-time $50 credit. AND THEN she has the audacity to tell me (and a paraphrase since I don’t have the benefit of recording calls like you do, which by the way, please listen to the April 10th call with the DirecTV Sales Rep so you can hear the bait and switch sales pitch I heard):

“Well, since I’ve reviewed this, it appears the confirmation in April states you’ve been placed into the ‘Choice’ plan, I’m afraid I will not be able to apply a $25/mo Credit to your account, and I will not be able to waive your cancellation fee if you choose to cancel your DirecTV services. It’s you’re responsibility to review that to ensure you’re in the right plan.”

On one hand she’s right; the email says ‘Choice’. On the other hand, the hand that was shook with the sales rep; the email also states ’$65.83’ as the Estimated first bill, which is exactly what the sales rep had told me I should expect moving forward on each billing statement. But ,what Stephanie says is, the word ‘Choice’ in the Order Email was supposed to tell me I do not qualify for the cell phone $25/mo Credit? This is not something a customer would ever realize, especially after the DirecTV sales rep explained the expected monthly bill multiple times to me over the phone on April 10th, which is the only reason I even entered into a 24-mo agreement in the first place!

I am now writing to inform you that I have received the following legal advice:

In order to have a valid contract, there must be a meeting of the minds as to the object of the contract. If the seller of a good or service misrepresents the quality or nature of that good or service to you and that misrepresentation was reasonably relied upon as a material reason for your decision, this is grounds to seek to hold the contract invalid for failure of the meeting of the minds and misrepresentation.

It is obvious to any reasonable person that this product was misrepresented to me and that the sales rep on or around April 10th sold me a bundled AT&T and DirecTV plan that simply did not exist in the terms which they were agreed to.

I have found online that I am not the only one who has experienced this sort of misrepresentation from DirecTV’s and/or AT&T’s prior billing practices. Since the call on April 10th with the initial sales rep, I have also incurred additional expenses to have DirecTV Installation fee, hours on the phone with AT&T and DirecTV attempting to solve these issues, hours spent switching from T-Mobile and from Comcast, as well as to get legal advice.

At this time, if you refuse to void my contract, OR, credit my account $25/mo throughout the remaining 21 months of the 24-mo agreement, I will file a complaint with the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Unit and the Federal Trade Commission for intentional misrepresentation of your services. Either, or, is suitable. If you continue to fail to take adequate responsibility for this nightmare at that point, I will move on to suing you not only for the amount of the cancellation fee that you are attempting to charge me ($400), but also for damages.

I will also copy this complaint and this letter to at least one website per day for every day that you do not get back to me and say that you will void my contract or credit my account in FULL, until there are no websites to post to anymore. I will start this today August 5th.

Do you really wish to go down this road? Please respond soon. [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Responses

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

They put my box in the bedroom too!!! It freezes up too!! Good luck!

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

got everything waived and money back. [Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]I have a feeling thousands of people have been impacted by these sales practices

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Re:  Complaint against Direct TV/ AT&T

I had service with DirectTV/AT&T for about five months and I was not able to pay my bill for about two months.  I received a notice stating my service had been disconnected.  On Aug. 27, 2018,  I contacted DirectTV/AT&T and explained my circumstances and why I was not able to pay at the time. I asked if I could have my services reconnected.  The gentleman I spoke with told me that I owed $410 for both DirectTV/AT&T.  However he said if I paid  AT&T their portion of $293 then he would waive the remaining balance owed to DirectTV.  I agreed and he contacted AT&T via conference call.  I stayed on the phone for about an hour and a half trying to get this resolved.  So at the end of our conversation, I was told I would be given $400 in Visa reward cards for returning as a customer and my DirectTV service would be $40 per month just for TV service.  I was told someone would contact me within 24 hours in regards to getting my home phone/internet service installed.  Well the next day no one had called so I just let it go.  On Aug. 29, 2018, I called back to inquire about the home phone/internet services.  I was bounced around from agent to agent and then put on hold for almost two hours.  I gave up and just told myself I will call another day.  Well I work and attend school in the evening and just did not have time to call back yet nobody contacted me either.  So fast forward to Sept. 8, 2018 and I still had not heard anything so I decided to call again.  This time I get an agent on the phone and explained the circumstances about trying to get home phone and internet services.  I was placed on hold and sent to 10 different people.  I finally spoke with a supervisor who informed me that the very first agent I spoke with on Aug. 27th had not documented the information in my account about having someone call me about home phone/internet service installation.  Yes my TV service was reconnected at the price of $51.99/month not $40/month which is what I was told.  Also he only documented that I would receive $200 in Visa reward cards not $400 which is what he offered.  I was bothered because he made me look as if I was lying.  By this time I had been on the phone with this company for about 3 hours.  I no longer had the energy to fight this issue.  I just asked that my service be canceled immediately.  The few months I did have the service, there were no issues.  I also have AT&T cell phone service and no problems.  Yet I feel like nobody with this company wanted to resolve my issue because I was bounced around and placed on hold for hours.  DirectTV/AT&t just lost another customer probably to a competitor all because of lies and disregard for a customer.  TRULY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IT'S BEST!!!

tgreaves

Former Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

2 years ago

@Emomma

Generally the reward cards are for customers who qualify who are in good standings within the company. missing bills and falling behind is something that generally disqualifies you from such bonus'. this is possibly what happened to the additional $200. generally dTV won't even reconnect your services until all outstanding debt is paid. Once your re-connection order was placed, $400 may have been submitted but the system cross checked it and saw you were only qualified for $200. So that is what was mailed out. 

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Good Morning,
So what about the hours of being placed on hold and bounced around to 10
different agents and being misled by an employee? Yes I see you addressed
the rewards cards however not my other issues.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Hello,

I have been a DIRECTV client for 18 years. Every time I call about lowering my invoice all they want to do is take things away and not offer any type of discount. If you’re a brand new client will give you all kinds of things for free for a limited time package. But they don’t offer any of those things to existing clients. They have horrible customer service you’re on the phone for hours at a time trying to get things resolved or to hear your concerns. I would not recommend anybody to go to DIRECTV. It’s unfair how they treat their clients. They’re so quick to take your money. But so difficult to get anything done. Or after the fact would NOT honor what they say would do or be truthful. Their automated phone system is broken. Then they send you off to India for cheaper labor to help assist. Then whenever they need something more involved they ship it back over to the US for someone to resolve your concern.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

18.7K Messages

a year ago

@Niceguyy

Pretty much everybody gets a discounted price for the 1st year. It helps attract people to the business with their "welcome basket", and of course 3 months free of premium channels, and most offers with 1st season free of NFL Sunday Ticket.

After the intro then we pay full cost. Sometimes discounts 'might' be available, but not to the level the 1st year was. With existing customers exceeding new customers coming in, they cannot sustain such discounts ongoing for the majority of the consumer base. That is why that huge deal is the 1st year only.

So review your services and see if the channels you watch might be in a lower costing package now. Remove any optional services you don't use enough. Never rely on discounts to be able to afford the service. If you can't afford it without discounts, then you cannot afford it.

If you have other concerns such as upgrades, technical issues, etc. then perhaps other customers here could be of assistance if you were to post the details of what is going on. As for options to lower your bill or to submit a complaint about any unfair treatment you felt you received, you call DirecTV about that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
tgreaves

Former Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

a year ago

@Niceguyy

I work and live in the USA. I work in a AT&T call center. Sorry but not everything has been sent off to India.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I hear exactly what you’ve gone through. We’ve had the same similar issues.  Always the promises, never receiving the promises.  I have spent hours upon hours on the phone with both Att and Direct trying to get things untangled and trying to make sense of the issues.  Nothing like being disconnected over and over, making 5, 6, 7 calls in one day trying to get ahold of SOMEONE who knows SONETHING!  Someone who can actually help unravel the issues, without disconnecting you, fix the issues, without disconnecting you, refund the funds due you, without disconnecting you, get your channels (“(package” lineup”) correct, without disconnecting you, and making sure you are actually happy with all that’s been done...., it’s a dream.

i don’t know what has become of true “service” in this world.  It used to be that people understood that they provided a service and people paid them for that service. They continued to get paid for that service as long as the service was as it should be.  Today they have gotten so big, and the people have been programmed to believe they either should just be happy with what they get, or that we have no control over what we get.., even when we pay hard earned money for it.   

The people needs to wake up and start to demand that we receive the service that WE PAY FOR.  People are being ripped off left and right. They are literally stealing our hard earned cash..., but it’s all made easy for them, hard for us. They can take our money when they want...., we cannot get our money back when we want.

a service that was a pay service which did not include commercials because consumers PAID for the service, now shoves a crap load of commercials on us during our programs.  WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!?  WE PAY FOR THIS SERVICE!!   

tgreaves

Former Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

a year ago

@BindiCo

commercials/adverts that you see make up for the rest of the cost of the package. if you wanted a full service without adverts it would cost x3 - x4 the current costs. Name a pay tv service with no adverts. Even Youtube TV has adverts.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I agree!  Direct sent me an e-mail congratulating me on purchasing NFL football package, which I did not do. I called them the same day, and they said they would remove all but the first month, as I did not call in time. I explained that I JUST received the e-mail, and that I had not ordered it.  They told me that it was done by me over the television. I don't even like football, and never even go to that channel. Don't even know which channel it is. A few days later, I got another e-mail congratulating me for the same purchase. I called again, and this time they removed the whole charge. I continued to be billed for the first month charge from the first time, and called Direct a total of 5 times.  Each time I was told that it would be taken care of, and not to worry. I expressed concern to one representative about the date that they were going to shut off my service, and she assured me that she would change that date to allow for the correction to go thru.  My service was turned off on the new date that she had given me. I called again, explained my problem to a supervisor this time, and she hung up on me after telling me I ordered it and there was nothing she could do for me. I called one more time, got a representative who said she was a supervisor, and explained my problem. She said she couldn't help me either. I asked to be transferred to the retention department and she informed me that SHE was the retention department, and did I want to be transferred back to the complaint department, or start the process of stopping my service. I decided to make one last try, and was transferred back to the complaint dept. I spoke to a very nice gentleman,( and yes, I got everyone's name, but was told later that everyone went by a number, not name.) He assured me, after 20 minutes and two conferences with his supervisor, that everything would be taken care of, and not to worry. Two days later, my service was turned off, and I have now had to pay a charge to turn it on besides paying the $61 dollar charge for the NFL football. Needless to say, I am looking into a different carrier.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…