Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Thu, Jul 27, 2017 3:09 PM

Closed

Complaint Letter addressed to DirecTV and AT&T.

7/26/2017

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing a complaint letter addressed to DirecTV and AT&T.

I started the painful process of beginning a relationship with DirecTV and AT&T on or around April 10th 2017. I called in and spoke with a DirecTV sales representative who sold me on not only purchasing DirecTV service, but also switching from T-Mobile to AT&T for a $25 monthly credit off my DirecTV bill.

During the phone conversation with the sales rep from DirecTV, he explained the costs for both AT&T and DirecTV services over the phone. I actually had him explain the monthly billing on both AT&T and DirecTV twice. The sales rep explained to me the following:

• My monthly bill for DirecTV would be $65.83; which would also be credited $25 per month for setting up AT&T Cell phone as well. The monthly bill should be $40.83 plus taxes moving forward (less than $50.00 total).
    • This would take 1-3 billing cycles to have the $25 applied
  • My monthly AT&T bill would be $65-$70 total including taxes/fees and this would allow me to get the $25/month credit towards the DirecTV bill
    • This bill has been as stated on the phone with the sales rep

At first, when he informed me of the option to bundle the Cell Phone (AT&T) with TV (DirecTV), I actually had him repeat these monthly dollar amounts to me to make sure I was hearing and understanding him correctly. The repeated what I should expect to see on a monthly statement moving forward. At this point, I decided to move forward with the offer. He collected an initial payment from me over the phone and sent me a confirmation email of the TV plan. At this time, I contacted AT&T and let them know I had spoken with a DirecTV Sales Rep and that I was looking for the $25/mo credit offer towards DirecTV bill. The AT&T service was set up.

From April to June, I had 3 billing cycles and this is what my bills had actually been:

April

• DirecTV: $73.andchange
  • AT&T: $0

May

• DirecTV: $82.andchange
  • AT&T: $150.11

June

• DirecTV: $82.andchange
  • AT&T: $71.82

I called in a spoke with a rep on or around July 3rd 2017 to make sure I would not be charged for any of the premium services, since my 3 month free was nearing (April 10-July 10th). He helped cancel my premium channels but let me know that since I have the Unlimited Plus plan with the AT&T contract, HBO comes free of no charge. He left HBO on my account and removed the other premium channels.

I also asked him when I should see the $25 monthly credit applied to the account. He forwarded my concerns to have a supervisor look into why the $25 credit was not applied. I never actually spoke with a supervisor from this conversation.

My July bill statement is now available (as of today 7/19) and now I’ve been billed the following (and charged by DirecTV):

July

• DirecTV: $109.andchange
  • AT&T: $66.andchange

Okay, so the sales rep in April did tell me months 1-3 the bill may be high before the $25/month would be credited. So, why in the 4th month is my bill now $109.andchange? That’s a large discrepancy from $40.83+tax.

I called into DirecTV on July 19th, to question the newest July bill, because at this point, I 1) had not spoken with a supervisor like the customer service rep on July 3rd promised, and 2) the 4th DirecTV statement is nearly 3 TIMES what I initially agreed to over the phone with the sales rep (Remember, $40.83 was what my expected monthly bill should be plus taxes, this was explained in April). For the record, my AT&T July bill is right in the ballpark I was explained by the sales rep, so no complaints at this point with the most recent July AT&T bill statement of $66.andchange.

During the call on July 19th, The DirecTV rep (Romeo – ID#   was kind enough to explain to me that I was actually charged for HBO (the premium channels the July3rd rep left on the account thinking I would be getting it for free monthly as part of the Unlimited Plus).  I also was being charged for a ‘Protection Plan’, which he kindly credited my account for May, June and July charges, and he removed the ‘Protection Plan’ moving forward. He assured me my bill would now be $65.83 moving forward, but that he would need to connect me with AT&T to look into the $25/month credit that is not being applied.

I think to myself, Great, that sounds easy enough. Nothing is wrong with my AT&T bill. AT&T will apply the $25/mo credit moving forward and apply a $100 credit for April-July and all will be good in the world. Wrong.

I spoke with a ‘Penny’   in billing. She informed me that I was placed into the WRONG AT&T CELL PHONE PLAN. I am apparently in the Unlimited ‘Choice’ plan. This is why the $25/mo credit is not posting to my DirecTV account. The cell phone plan I needed to qualify for the $25/mo credit is the ‘Unlimited Plus’, which was quoted as $95/mo for the first time on 7/19/2017. She asked me if I wanted to get into this plan now to receive the $25/mo credit? WHAT? In April, on the initial call, the DirecTV Sales Rep explained what I should expect to see as a monthly bill moving forward, and it was $65-$70/mo, NOT $95/mo.

Penny, bless her soul, transferred me to ‘Janice’   in Atlanta in ‘Customer Loyalty’ AT&T, who couldn’t help. Janice then transferred me to another guy in AT&T, who I believe stated his ID# as   AT&T Rep ID# informed me the most he could do on his end is credit me the $100 for the $25/mo credit missed in April, May, June and July.

ME: Okay, so $25/mo credit for April, May, June and July at least makes me whole for the prior month statement, thank you, but what about the future billing cycles? I will be paying $25/mo more than the sales rep told me I would pay.

AT&T Rep  : Nope, you don’t have the right cell phone plan to apply that credit moving forward.

ME: WHAT? The DirecTV sales rep is the one who told me about this offer, is the one who told me what I should be expecting to pay monthly moving forward, which is the ONLY REASON I SWITCHED TO DIRECTV AND AT&T, and you’re telling me that you are not able to credit the account moving forward?

AT&T Rep: Let me see if we can conference in DirecTV to see if they will credit your account moving forward.

DirecTV rep is conferenced onto the phone with AT&T Rep   on the line. The DirecTV rep  is totally not helpful. So I ask for a supervisor.

DirecTV Supervisor Stephanie  is introduced. I re-re-re-reexplain my situation, and bluntly state that I request either a $25/mo credit applied to this account monthly throughout the duration of this 24-mo contract agreement, or, I request the ability to cancel my ’24-mo agreement’ with a waived cancellation fee since the original agreement is null and void. Stephanie, with DirecTV, explains to me that the most she can do is credit my account with a one-time $50 credit. AND THEN she has the audacity to tell me (and a paraphrase since I don’t have the benefit of recording calls like you do, which by the way, please listen to the April 10th call with the DirecTV Sales Rep so you can hear the bait and switch sales pitch I heard):

“Well, since I’ve reviewed this, it appears the confirmation in April states you’ve been placed into the ‘Choice’ plan, I’m afraid I will not be able to apply a $25/mo Credit to your account, and I will not be able to waive your cancellation fee if you choose to cancel your DirecTV services. It’s you’re responsibility to review that to ensure you’re in the right plan.”

On one hand she’s right; the email says ‘Choice’. On the other hand, the hand that was shook with the sales rep; the email also states ’$65.83’ as the Estimated first bill, which is exactly what the sales rep had told me I should expect moving forward on each billing statement. But ,what Stephanie says is, the word ‘Choice’ in the Order Email was supposed to tell me I do not qualify for the cell phone $25/mo Credit? This is not something a customer would ever realize, especially after the DirecTV sales rep explained the expected monthly bill multiple times to me over the phone on April 10th, which is the only reason I even entered into a 24-mo agreement in the first place!

I am now writing to inform you that I have received the following legal advice:

In order to have a valid contract, there must be a meeting of the minds as to the object of the contract. If the seller of a good or service misrepresents the quality or nature of that good or service to you and that misrepresentation was reasonably relied upon as a material reason for your decision, this is grounds to seek to hold the contract invalid for failure of the meeting of the minds and misrepresentation.

It is obvious to any reasonable person that this product was misrepresented to me and that the sales rep on or around April 10th sold me a bundled AT&T and DirecTV plan that simply did not exist in the terms which they were agreed to.

I have found online that I am not the only one who has experienced this sort of misrepresentation from DirecTV’s and/or AT&T’s prior billing practices. Since the call on April 10th with the initial sales rep, I have also incurred additional expenses to have DirecTV Installation fee, hours on the phone with AT&T and DirecTV attempting to solve these issues, hours spent switching from T-Mobile and from Comcast, as well as to get legal advice.

At this time, if you refuse to void my contract, OR, credit my account $25/mo throughout the remaining 21 months of the 24-mo agreement, I will file a complaint with the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Unit and the Federal Trade Commission for intentional misrepresentation of your services. Either, or, is suitable. If you continue to fail to take adequate responsibility for this nightmare at that point, I will move on to suing you not only for the amount of the cancellation fee that you are attempting to charge me ($400), but also for damages.

I will also copy this complaint and this letter to at least one website per day for every day that you do not get back to me and say that you will void my contract or credit my account in FULL, until there are no websites to post to anymore. I will start this today August 5th.

Do you really wish to go down this road? Please respond soon. [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Responses

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

8.8K Messages

3 years ago

this is perhaps the best thought out written complaint letter i have seen on here

try a pm to @ATTDIRECTVCare

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I just signed up a week ago and I've already spent hours on the phone trying to get the service I was sold. Still do not have all of the free movies channels.  I dread what my bills will be based on your experience.

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

52.8K Messages

3 years ago

If only the DirecTV and AT&T folks knew enough about each other's products to avoid crap like this.  So sad. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Did this get resolved for you?

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

I just want to make sure I'm not charged the cancellation fee as promised in writing and over the phone. Plus, I had credit on my account that is owed back to me since I was overcharged. I wanted to know the amount I am owed and when I would receive that.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Hi, what happen to your complaint? I have also complain for their service.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Good luck! After 2 months of back and forth, lies, etc., they finally caved. They owe me $80.54, money I will probably never see.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Hi! I have complaint  with direct tv and AT&T because of their misinterpretation of my contract. Everytime I cancelled my contract they promise me with additional channel. What is the result of your complaint?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I just want to cancel my contract and change to another cable company.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

So after 2 months they finally agreed to cancel my contract without penalty because I was able to prove they breached the contract and sold me a lie.

It's possible to get that conclusion but I can tell you it took 2 months and a lot of wasted time and effort.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have a similar issue with a BOGO promotion AT&T offered us. We were contempting signing up with T mobile to take their BOGO promotion to up grade my wife's phone.  When we called in the find out about cancelling we were offered the world.  Once we took their bait it has been anything but free for the second phone.  All attempts to get a resolution have been extremely negative.  We have been charged about $1000.00 over our original plan to get a free phone.  This seems to be how AT&T does business.  I've been working on this since July and have had no success.  I would just like to be made whole and separate us from AT&T  AND GET AWAY FROM THIS NIGHTMARE!

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

What worked for me, and maybe will help you, is I began to log every employees ID # over the course of the two months. I built the case and filed a written complaint and threatened legal action. I finally got one person to offer to cancel the contract without penalty, and then used that persons written admission to finalize the case.

They sold me the TV and Cell Phone package, but the product they sold me didn't qualify for the price they quoted me. So they told me 4 months after opening the accounts that I would need to upgrade and spend $40/mo more to get the original discount. They flat out lied from the beginning and sold me a product that didn't exist.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I had a similar situation but for our business accounts. I told att I was going to close all of our business accounts with them if they didn’t fix the problem - we are talking $1000s they would lose. They couldn’t have cared less. I’m switching all my home accounts: directv, cell phones and internet as well. I was literally on the phone with them for over four hours to fix 4 of our business accounts!!! They fixed the problems but I’m still waiting on the credits. They are awful! I’m cancelling everything. I can’t wait! My boss said he will gladly pay the termination fees just to be out from under them.  

Tutor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I also had a similar problem with At&t and Direct tv. I called at&t to activate a new cell phone after the sales rep ask if he could interest me in direct TV and internet for $70 a month ($30 for Internet & $40 for direct tv). I ask him how many channels would I get he said over 150. He then ask me what channels I normally watch. I gave him a list of channels I normally watch after each one he would say yes that's included. The day they hooked the tech was demonstrating the remote to me. I notice numerous channels that I told them I watch I was not able to view. So I ask the tech why he said those channels are not included in your package. I explained to him that the AT&T rep told me the channels was included.  I then immediately got on the phone with AT&T and explained what was going on and told them if those channels are not included then I no longer want their service and the tech can take everything back out of my house and I will just stay with spectrum. They said I would be charged the termination fee. I explained there was no meeting of the minds if those channels are not included like the rep had told me. She told me not to worry if I was promised those channels I would get them at the price I agreed on. She said she just needed to have it escalate to the loyalty department in order for me to receive them. She said I would have to wait a month though in order to get them because AT&T had to wait until they received the bill from Direct TV and they would upgrade me to the package that included the channels I wanted for the same price. I waited a month as was told for some reason it didn't get escalate so I needed to wait another two weeks. Once again was told not to worry I would receive the channel package I was promised for the price I was promised. I then waited the 2 weeks. Was told the same thing over again but this time I needed to wait 3-5 days. I waited again and called back I was then told if I wanted those channels I would have to upgrade to the choice package and would be an additional  $56 so instead of $40 it would  be $96 I then ask to speak to the supervisor which was no help at all. I was told I could pay the additional or stick with what I have. I told them I just wanted to cancel she said that's fine but you will have to pay $25 a month for the remainder of the 24 month contract. They have you no matter which way you go. I honestly believe they train their reps to lie to the customer just to make the sale. This is happening way to much to their customers. We all just need to file a class action suit against them.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Hello, I myself have a complaint to file with direct tv/ century link. We recently joined a contract with them around December of 2017. Everything seemed like a great deal, as they had promised 2 visa gift cards 1 for 200$ and 1 for 100$ as a gift for signing with direct tv and century link. Well weeks go by and they had only provided 2 100$ gift cards. ( Which is 100$ less than what they promised.) Okay so I let it go. Until one day my wife was on the phone with them for something and I asked her to bring up the gift cards and why it was not as they said? She asked and the operator said that I must have not understood them correctly and that I must have heard wrong. (Mind you the operator was just guessing they did not actually look into this.) So I let it go, because I was not about to argue with them. But things have just been horror with my service, the internet is completely slow! We did get the higher speed internet for a reason and it is even slower than I have ever seen. Due to the internet being slow things like netflix and hulu are running really slow. Not only is the internet slow but so is the tv signal is some rooms. Now I was not home at the time of this all being installed, (only my mother was) and for some reason she had them place the main receiver in one of the bedrooms. Her not knowing much about it. Due to the box being on a small confined room it gets hot really fast. I feel as though that is something that the technician should have informed her about. The other day the box got really hot and than the power went out in that room and it blew out the tv which has not worked ever since. Thank goodness we have the protection plan so I am going to call to make a claim. ( When I get the money) I just want it all resolved. Did I misunderstand the amount of money they were going to give me? Can I have someone come out and move my box without being charged! And Can someone come look at my tv?

-Javier [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

• 

2 Messages

What ever you do, do not allow AT&T representatives to talk you into suspending your account when you sell your old home and move 200 miles away to a new house in another town. After a few months you will get a bill for services you did not receive. Then when you call them about this, they will explain that they will remove the charges. BUT they won't. ANOTHER bill will follow the next month that is "late" and considered to be in collections. Then all the phone calls you make to talk to someone in a boiler room on the other side of the world will pressure you into paying it after the previous month ago they agreed you should not. Of course, you are going to because you always pay your bills and have a wonderful credit rating you do not want to tarnish. Then when you call afterwards to complain because this whole thing is just outright wrong, they will tell you the only way to fix this problem is to reopen the account, place it is collections, and then give you a refund. RED TAPE. RED TAPE. RED TAPE. All red tape that could possibley scar your credit rating for something THEY recommended. Don't allow them steal $68 from you legally like they did to my husband and I. -Grace & Michael Buchanan

• 

2 Messages

@Saberbobcat In other words, terminate. Do not suspend. Do not put on vacation. Because all of the complaints you make will hit a deaf wall and bounce back at you, even if you have been using their services for at least 20 years. So much for customer service. So much for taking care of loyal customers...