Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
S

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Sep 22, 2020 1:07 AM

cancellation due to move

We cancelled AT&T home phone, At&T internet and DirectTV because we sold our house in June 2020. Our new home has a different service provider, which we are are charged for through an HOA fee.  DirectTV REFUSES to accept our cancellation, even though AT&T has cancelled both the home phone and internet, as per our request. DirectTV continues to send us a bill for $167.00 each month, since we cancelled in June.  We have made numerous phone calls, taking up much of our free time.  In August we were told that the situation was handled and that we were owed approximately $20. Today we finally got an envelope from DirectTV, but not with our refund, a new bill for $167.00! After yet another phone call, we were told that the last promise of a refund was denied and that we are still being billed. We've sent back equipment. We've cancelled the account, but we keep getting billed. We have superior credit and we are afraid that DirectTV will forever bill us and/or we will go into collections and have our credit destroyed. They have no email address to write to. Tomorrow a letter is going in the US mail, as we were directed by the customer service representative we spoke to today.   Help, we no longer need service at a house that we no longer own or live in. Please DirectTV let us go and stop charging us.  At&T, your parent company, has made the break, you can too! Please.

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

a month ago

Cancelling your phone and internet doesn't cancel DirecTV. You have to speak to DirecTV's cancellation/retention department to cancel that service.

So make sure you are calling the DirecTV specific number (not the AT&T side). When you get the voice system say "cancel" and that should route you directly to the correct department. Be advised that the final bill is not prorated, so you pay for the full service month, even if you cancel on the day the service month starts.

If you have spoken to the DirecTV retention department specifically and you were billed for a service month that started after you spoke to them, then upon your next call request a supervisor to dispute.

https://support.directv.com/contact

Customer Service

800.531.5000 | Pay BillOrder MoviesRefresh Your Receivers
General support daily, 8 a.m. – 12 a.m. ET

And for reference, here is the notice from 2018 confirming bills are no longer prorated.

Please read this if you receive DIRECTV, AT&T U-verse® TV, AT&T Internet, AT&T Phone, and/or AT&T Fixed Wireless service(s). We want to remind you that you’re billed in advance for recurring service(s) and/or programming charges and applicable fees based on the terms of your current service agreement(s) with us. Starting January 14, 2019, subject to applicable laws, we’re updating your agreement(s) to include your recurring service(s)/programming charges and fees won’t be prorated if you cancel the above service(s) on any day other than the last day of your billing cycle. Your service(s) will continue until the end of your billing cycle but you won’t get a refund (prorated credits) for any remaining days left in your billing cycle. For products not listed above, refer to their terms of service for more information.

Questions about this change? Go to att.com/ProrationPolicy for more information and to see the revised section of your service agreement(s).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

Why did the person I spoke to both on June 8 and June 9 accept my DirectTV cancellation and not tell us that? I called twice to confirm. Why is directTV still billing us when we keep calling them to say we’ve returned equipment, moved, and cancelled account?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

a month ago

Sorry but have no way to know why an agent didn't tell you something.

Depends on what day your service month starts over each month on what should have been the final bill. At most if your service month starts on the 8th of each month, then your final bill would have been for service of June 8 thru July 7. So if you were billed for a service month starting in July or later (that wasn't one-time charges to clear the account such as PPVs found on the access cards), then the account wasn't canceled and you need to speak to a supervisor (in the retention department) to dispute at this point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question