Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
J

• 

1 Message

Wed, Aug 5, 2020 7:08 PM

Canceled direct tv but still received a bill

I canceled my service on 7/28/20. I received a new bill for 7/29/20 to 8/28/20. I called and was told that I had to pay that bill that Direct TV does not prorate. Has anyone else had this problem?  I have been laid off from my job and diagnosed with breast cancer a month ago and I’ve undergone mastectomy surgery. I cannot afford to pay $175 for a month of TV that I canceled on 7/28/20.  The representative was not willing to work with me.   Any suggestions?  Has anyone else been told no prorating?

Responses

shannon02

ACE - Expert

• 

21.8K Messages

6 months ago

Per the new TOS that came out 2 yrs ago you pay for and receiver service till the end of your billing cycle regardless of when you cancel.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
davemize

ACE - Professor

• 

3.3K Messages

6 months ago

DirecTV does not prorate bills, as per the Residential Terms of Service, specifically:  

5. CANCELLATION

(a) Term.

The term of this Agreement is indefinite and Service will continue until canceled as provided herein. Unless you notify us that you wish to cancel it, we will automatically renew Service that you subscribe to on a periodic basis, including any monthly or annual subscriptions and seasonal sports subscriptions, as long as we continue to carry the Service.

(b) Your Cancellation.

You may cancel Service by calling us at 800.288.2020. Your cancellation is effective on the last day of the billing cycle in which you cancel (exceptions may apply to certain promotional periods and must be in writing) and you will not receive a prorated credit or refund for any portion of Service cancelled (subject to applicable law). You will still be responsible for payment of all outstanding balances accrued through that effective date. You will receive Service through the effective date of your cancellation. If you cancel Service or change your Service package, you may be subject to an Early Termination Fee if you agreed to a programming agreement with DIRECTV and have failed to maintain the required programming package for the required period of time. For Services sold only in blocks of one month or multiples of one month, if you cancel such Service, we will credit you only for full months not used. For example, if you subscribe for a year of such Service from January through December but cancel on March 10, we will credit you for the subscription fees for April through December. However, we will not credit any fees for January through March. Additionally, we will not credit seasonal sports subscriptions after the season starts unless we provide otherwise in writing.

"Don't make me summon the flying monkeys...."

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

45.9K Messages

6 months ago

True, Directv does not prorate the final bill but if you cancelled on 7/28, you should not be billed for 7/29-8/28. File an FCC or BBB complaint.

nabukl

ACE - Professor

• 

3.8K Messages

6 months ago

@sandblaster is correct you canceled on the last day of your billing cycle so shouldn't have been billed for this current month's cycle,  I would make sure it's actually canceled.

Get started...

Ask a new question