Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wed, Oct 21, 2015 4:42 AM

Avoid Combining Your ATT Bill with DirecTV

Following up on the nightmare ATT created concerning my DirecTV bill, I had service restored today.  See my other posts and many other posts on how combining your bill eliminates your DirecTV bill and yet takes 60 days to generate a new combined ATT / DirecTV bill.  And guess what?  You, the customer, are supposed to just notice, hey, its time to pay, pick up the phone and call in a credit card, without really knowing you had a bill or how much it is.  And the penalty for not magically knowing to call in to pay your bill?  Having service cut off with NO warning.  No emails, no phone calls, no paper bills.  Just two weeks after combining the bills - your service is disrupted.

You have to see my last "customer service" chat on this.  The absurd support team clicked off on me half way through and transferred the chat to ... "wireless support".  On a DirecTV billing issue.  She then told me she couldn't help, I had to contact DirecTV support.  See the post.  You'll love it.

Here was the chat session today where I threw in the towel and paid my mystery bill over the chat.  Sure hope it was a real person taking my credit card.

You will see actual company policy is:

1. No you don't get a bill without asking;

2. Yes, your old way to pay (the DirecTV site is gone);

3. Yes, the new site doesn't let you pay your old bill.

4. Yes, we suspended your account in the midst of this inability to bill (or even get a bill) without warning.

5. Yes, you need to randomly call in about once a month when you feel like paying.  Better mark it on the calendar.

6. Oh, just take our word for what the bill is and enter your credit card in chat.

7. We are so sorry this is inconvenient, says ATT, we will waive the late fee that we should never have charged you.

AT&T : Hello! How may I help you today? 
 AT&T : My name is Terry W and I'll be happy to assist you today. May I please have your name and account number? 
 Me : I am in billing nightmare. I have a combined bill and it says balance ZERO. I can no longer get to my old DirecTV bill because it routes to My ATT. I don't get paper bills. And to add insult to injury, DirecTV, without warning or email, says I'm behind on my payment.  
 AT&T : No worries, I know how important it is to know what your balance is and also see what you're paying. 
 AT&T : I can help you with that! 
 AT&T : May I ask who I'm speaking with and the phone number on the account? 
 Me : DirecTV is XXXXXXXXXXXX  
 Me : XXXXXX 
 Me : XXXXXXXXXXXXXX  
 AT&T : Thanks, Andrew! May I also have the 4-digit passcode on the account for verification purposes? 
 Me : xxxx  
 AT&T : Perfect, thanks! 
 AT&T : Please allow me a moment, while I access your account. 
 Me : You will see this a Catch 22. And the balance on the My ATT site for DirecTV -- $88 -- I paid.  
 AT&T : No worries, Andrew, we've definitely got your back on this! Please give me just a couple minutes to look through everything &eq;) 
 AT&T : I'm not finding the DirecTV account with that phone number. Could it be listed under a different phone number? 
 Me : XXXXXXXX 
 Me : Combined already.  
 AT&T : No worries, and thanks &eq;) For your records, the DirecTV account number is XXXXXXXX. The DirecTV account does still continue on its own, although its balance will always transfer into the Unified account each month so you won't normally pay the DirecTV account directly 
 AT&T : Looking over the account, I do see that there is a current balance of XXXX, with XXXXX past due. Because of the confusion with making the payment, we would also be able to waive the late charge if we're able to make the payment today. Would it be possible to make the payment today? 
 Me : So how did that *not* happen despite my sign up? And how can I pay a bill that doesn't transfer over and doesn't have any way to get to it????  
 Me : And I don't get paper billing for?  
 Me : Nor did I get a single email about ...  
 AT&T : The Unification process does take up to 60 days before it fully Unifies, and at that point it will definitely show up on the regular paperless bill. I do apologize that this was not properly discussed before the Unification, although it is the standard Unification process 
 AT&T : The great news though is once the Unification process completes everything will be on the Unified bill, and you'll also get the $5/month discount for Unified billing &eq;) 
 Me : If it is the standard unification process AND the unification process completely turned off my ability to get to my old DirecTV bill, what would discussing it have changed???  
 Me : No matter what, apparently, I both wouldn't receive the bill and I would have no online ability to pay?  
 Me : DirecTV.com where I used to pay just loops into My ATT DirecTV which shows zero balance.  
 AT&T : During the Unification process, we do handle the payments either over the phone or in chat, and we do typically waive the payment convenience charge that is normally applied when paying over the phone 
 AT&T : Currently the Unified balance is $0 because the DirecTV balance hasn't yet transferred. Until the Unification process completes, we do handle the payments manually 
 Me : OK. That is crazy. But OK. With no emails about that to users?  
 Me : And no one said a thing during sign up?  
 AT&T : I do apologize that this was not explained to you before the Unification started as it should have been. However this will only be the case until the Unification process completes, then everything will be normal again and on the Unified account along with the discount &eq;) 
 Me : And so next month on some random date I don't know with some random amount I don't know without receiving a bill I'm just supposed to call and pay again?  
 AT&T : It does take up to 60 days for the Unification process to fully complete. However, please give me just a few minutes to see what we can do about mailing a reprint of your DirecTV bill 
 Me : XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX  
 AT&T : No worries, please give me just a few minutes to get everything taken care of. I am still looking into ordering the bill reprint, and then we'll take care of the payment 
 Me : You do realize without explaining this, on the web, by email, with a courtesy email, or a courtesy call DirecTV / ATT just deactivated my receiver. Poof.  
 Me : How is that supposed to be customer service for those of us that unified?  
 AT&T : I am sorry to hear about the suspension, although we will definitely get this taken care of, and the account will restore automatically once we process the payment. Please give me just a few more minutes to finish with the bill reprint. I do appreciate your patience 
 Me : Seems like DirecTV / ATT actually owes many of us a refund or credit. This has taken over an hour last night with no resolution by chat and now this time today plus a night of no service with no warning.  
 Me : The user boards have a series of complaints like this one.  
 AT&T : I am sorry to hear about the inconvenience regarding this. I am sorry to hear about the suspension, although the payment was due and could have been paid at any point over the phone or in chat when it would have been normally due. However we absolutely do value you as a customer, so I am going to reverse the late charges on this. 
 AT&T : I am still working on reprinting the bill for you, though. Thank you for bearing with me as I work on this 
 AT&T : Great, we're all set with the reprint! Regarding the payment, just to confirm, are we making the payment for the full XXXX currently due, or only the XXXX past due? 
 Me : Full is fine.  
 AT&T : Okay no problem! Also after waiving the late charge, the bill is reduced to $XXXX. Please give me just a minute to process the payment &eq;) 
 Me : all set?  
 AT&T : Perfect, we're all set! The receivers should restore automatically shortly. You should also receive an email with a regenerated copy of your latest DirecTV bill within 3-7 business days. 

Responses

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Can't wait to have to deal with this issue too!  Just switched from U-verse to DirectTV and, after being promised no interruption of U-verse until DirectTV is installed, my U-verse was disconnected immediately and it can't be reinstalled without re-ordering a new U-verse service.  So no TV at all until DirectTV is installed.  Now, in addition, I have to worry about not getting bill for 60 days.  I wasn't informed of that delay either.  Very unhappy with ATT right now!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Its completely awful, I was on the phone/chat with them for over 8 hours between 2 days and when I ended the calls, I was told the issue was resolved. Then 2 days later, they turned everything off AND I now notice they put the one time $40 charge on my bill for "restarting" my service.

I just got a late notice from Directv even though I made the change in AUGUST. I had even went to the trouble of paying the rest of August and September to make the transition smoother. My Directv bill is still NOT included on my wireless. The customer service has been terrible to say the least. Worst decision ever to combine. Thats on me.....

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I have been dealing with unified billing since I moved in June(I transferred services and combined my ATT wireless and Direct tv and that was the worst mistake ive ever made!!!! the first month my bill came and it was combined and it was 1,042.46 and they told me several times that the bill was valid and even stopped taking my calls on the supervisors end so I paid that bill just to get it out the way for it to be behind me even when I knew for a fact that I was being over charged and I finally got someone who told me oh I see the problem and we will credit your account for the mistake (after it was paid) 5 months later and still no credit for that. next month bill over 600.00 and I still didn't know what I was paying for (bill was soooooo confusing) paid that one and cut down everything to see what was going on with my bill. next month the bill came and it was 486.48 and I paid it and switched from combined billing the same day.... within days I had an ATT wireless bill for 221.00 (and some change) and so I called customer service and they told me not to worry about that bill they don't know why I have one and its already been paid. so I went in the ATT store and they told me the EXACT same thing as customer service did. so I disregarded the bill as directed. within a week or so I received a cut off notice or suspension of service for my wireless service and I immediately called customer service and was on the phone for almost 6 hours (good thing I work at night) trying to get this straight and that call ended with a supervisor telling me that it will be handled we will send ATT wireless their money and we will send direct tv theirs and it will be straight by end of business day. well little did I know unified billing sent the entire 486.48 to att wireless side which left me with credit on that end. but instead of telling me they did that I get a bill from unified billing for the entire 486.48 (if they had sent me the bill for just what I owed direct tv I would have understood .... EVEN THOUGH I NEVER TOLD THEM TO SEND THE ENTIRE AMOUNT TO ATT WIRELESS... I called customer service and they assured me that it would be handled and it wasn't ... and I called again they told me that the 486.48 was reversed back to my account so I went to the bank and got a print out and took it to the store and then they told customer service that It wasn't then it came out that they had sent it to att wireless side. ok so if wireless has gotten paid why do I still owe the entire 486.48??? I asked shouldn't I just owe for the direct tv part? and she replied yes, and I will fix this for you ... then she says this is more than I do in credit so I will have to get it sent to someone who can .. and we will call you back within the week. still waiting on that phone call. so after a week goes by I call and they say the same thing but first saying that it was sent back to the bank then it was sent to wireless and that he will call me back and he never does... and that has gone on since aug. Mind you I am still paying a separate wireless bill the whole time and a separate direct tv bill and then they are trying to stick me with a combined billing bill as well.. I cut off my direct tv services in Sept. (26,2017) by calling direct tv side themselves thinking that's all I needed to do but that wasn't the case at all. on top of the combined billing 486.48 that they assured me that where going to fix months ago they have been adding direct tv charges and sending new bills each month since (even the months where my services were cancelled ... !!! I called att several times within a week for weeks  and still nothing but the same ole I see where you deserve a credit will fix it for you then another bill comes for the same month plus.... who do I need to talk to about this it needs to be resolved asap because this is messing up my credit. ( they even sent it to a collection agency )now the bill is about 800.00 MIND YOU THAT THIS IS UNIFIED (COMBINED) BILLING/ WITH DIRECT TV BUT THE BILL IS ONLY FOR DIRECT TV... I HAVE SEVERAL DIFF ACCOUNT NUMBERS (separate account for both and plus one for combined (crazy) ) oh and Direct Tv account is paid in full final bill and all with a 0.45 cent credit. who do I need to talk to, to get this resolved finally .... I'm just over the customer service calls that get me no where.... I do have all payment receipts and bills ect that ive ever had .... 

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…