Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
F

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Jun 5, 2020 3:07 PM

AT&T Fraud Department CANNOT BE CONTACTED

Two DirectTV accounts were fraudulent established using my information, one of which was flagged as fraud and closed by AT&T within a month or two of it being opened. Nevertheless, AT&T sent the accounts to collection agents as a bad debt in my name and this has significantly impacted my credit score. I have spent HOURS trying to contact the AT&T Fraud Department (the DirectTV Fraud Department is very responsive but cannot help me because the accounts were recently established on AT&T's systems). For AT&T to submit known fraudulent accounts for collection in my name is unacceptable, and then for its Fraud Department not to be available to actually address the issue makes matters so much worse. As an attorney, I will look into the matter further to determine what other recourse is available, but I am using this forum to let others know of the difficulty of ever reaching the Fraud Department.

Responses

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

a month ago

All AT&T/DirecTV departments are impacted by Covid-19. They had to close many call centers and put additional employees on extended leave. So they are very short staffed.

In addition to calling, I would try www.directv.com/notmyaccount so that all bases are covered. To my understanding unlike the rest of customer support, their fraud/identity theft team works on more traditional business hours. Good luck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
www.directv.com or www.att.com
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.2K Messages

a month ago

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

9 Messages

a month ago

this is happening to me right now as well -- is there a number you have been able to get through to??

• 

2 Messages

Sadly, no. It was suggested to me to try the Fraud Dept. number either right when it opens (8:00 a.m. Eastern) or right before it closes (7:00 p.m. Eastern) but not sure that will work either.

• 

9 Messages

ugh this literally happened to me in February and they said they took care of it. Here is something else I found from my last attempt if helpful to you. It;s been over two hours :(

Identity Theft:

Phone Number: (800) 860-8542

• 

9 Messages

also, anyone know if the fraud dept is open on weekends?

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

As I recall they didn't use to be. As mentioned, they keep closer to traditional business hours compared to the rest of customer support.

• 

9 Messages

also received this # if helpful

We have completed our review concerning your claim. We are unable to review your case at this time, please contact our Theft of Identity team at (877) 379-2319 to further assist you.

• 

9 Messages

Just called at 619 EST.. and they are closed. Has anyone been successful getting through?!

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

21K Messages

I wouldn't call after 5pm EST. Even if they normally close at 7pm EST (still a few hours before the rest of customer support), they probably have shorter hours because of low staffing and being a smaller department to begin with.

Unless they have extended their working days, be prepared to callback on Monday when they would be open again. The webform at least should get the ball rolling in the meantime.

• 

9 Messages

appreciate the help -- this is the message I received back

We have completed our review concerning your claim. We are unable to review your case at this time, please contact our Theft of Identity team at (877) 379-2319 to further assist you.

Thank you for the opportunity to assist with this matter. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

• 

9 Messages

Update: Was finally able to get someone to call me back after I messaged AT&T and Direct TV on every social media account. The one that worked: send a private message to their AT&T Facebook page (works for DirectTV as well). They will send you a packet you need to fill out and a fax number where you can send it back.

Get started...

Ask a new question