Announcements
Ace Back to School with AT&T's A+ deals!
1conservative1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Apr 13, 2017 9:19 PM

$300 DIRECTV/AT&T gift card scam

On 2/7/17 I called AT&T to discuss lowering my monthly bill, I was pitched a DIRECTV promotion which included a $300 gift card and that my monthly bill for the choice package would be $62.47 per month which included all taxes and fees. Upon my agreement to service, a supervisor got on the call and confirmed the $300 gift card. I was told that I would receive the card in 2-3 months and that I did not need to do anything but wait for it's arrival. After about 2.5 months I decided to call and check on my gift card. DIRECTV proceeded to tell me that I needed to go through their website to redeem it. It turns out that it showed that I was ineligible, so I called DIRECTV back and they told me they needed 7 days to review it. So I'm still waiting to hear how that works. The Directv rep told me that another gift card would be available through AT&T website but it was only for $100, which I was able to redeem. I asked to speak to a supervisor and I got nowhere. Bottom line - The DIRECTV rep who sold me, lied to me as did his supervisor when he got on the phone and verified the new account and promotion. I recorded the phone call with my wife's phone because the offer seemed to be too good to be true and I am glad that I did. I will be reporting them to the NC Attorney General's office. Hopefully they'll be interested in hearing the audio. I suggest anyone looking to do business with AT&T/DIRECTV to think twice.

On another note, I keep having to cancel insurance/protection for my phones. I've cancelled at least 4 or 5 times and it keeps showing up on my bill. So this isn't just st an isolated incident, the lies and theft is habitual. I'm thoroughly disgusted.

Responses

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

4 y ago

Yes. Yes it is. ATT had been Really shady the last 2 yrs.
bcbsncjlj

ACE - Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

4 y ago

ATT&T has really become a horrible company lately. Why would anyone signup for any of their promotions is beyond me. I would go with a lower tier firm before I would ever do a contract with them. Just horrible!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

Hi.. I am currently going through the same thing with AT&T/Direct Tv. I called a phew months ago to see what I could do to lower my bill and got the $300 gift card promo.. got cable.. paid my first bill a month early so I could get the $300 as I was told my first bill must not be late, when I called and made the payment I was then told the $300 gift card would be mailed out and would receive it within 4 to 8 weeks.. I called today.. almost a month later as I'm having issues with my cable box and I'm told my bill is past due.. the lady never took my payment last month and I have not yet received a bill in the mail either so I had no clue that it never went through. I told the person I spoke with i paid the bill the 9th of last month and they have no record of it but supposedly they record there calls and it just vanished??.. then another guy I spoke with said he seen that I called the 9th but not to make a payment. And when I asked about the gift card I was told it was $100 but since my first bill was late i won't receive the gift card.. How can these people get away with doing this kind of thing ??? Irritated 100%

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 y ago

ME TOO!  I just went through the same thing!  Frustrating, promised $300 gift card that never came.  But the bills still come.  I have spoken to ATT employees, managers they ask you to call this number, then this number, then they cut you off.  They say to call Direct TV.  The same story there, they tell you to call ATT.  Everyone wants to pass the buck on to someone else and no one, not even a manager can actually follow though and make something happen. At the end of this saga, which has lasted approx. 5 days and probably 2 1/2 hours or so on the phone, I am not ending up with any $300 gift card as promoted through the mail and promised but they did say (with much frustration, straight forward honesty and extreme personality in the tone of my voice, I am supposed to get $300 credit on my account.  Most people would have a heart attack if they had to do what I had to do to get this.  But, I am very persistent.  But, we will wait and see if this actually comes to fruition!!!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

Good for you! Keep on top of it like you have been.If still nothing,contact
the Better Business Bureau.Within about 3 days of filing complaint w/BBB
someone from the corporate office called me and I got the $300.Was a huge
headache dealing back n forth w/ATT n Direct,know what your going through
buddy.Good luck,jtv

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 y ago

Hi jtv111,

how did you file a complaint with BBB and how much does it cost? I had the same scenario and they are over charging me. 

litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.6K Messages

2 y ago

@rhylee wrote:

Hi jtv111,

how did you file a complaint with BBB and how much does it cost? I had the same scenario and they are over charging me. 

It's easy. Just go to their web site .... www.bbb.org

It doesn't cost anything to file a complaint. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

Hello Rhylee,frustrating isn't it. The BBB is there for everyone.It's free,pretty quick and very helpful. https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started

At the time,I used the corporate headquarters/address for Directv in El Segundo CA. Not long after the complaint was filed with the BBB,someone who works for the head of dtv called me.I explained the situation and how upset I was wasting half a day on the computer and phone,going back and forth countless times between dtv and att.

In five minutes I was reimbursed for everything I was originally told I'd receive.

Hope this helps you Rhylee,and anyone else who Directv LIED to.   

Get started

Ask a question
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.