Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Fri, Sep 16, 2016 1:08 AM

2 year contract for moving??

I moved last December 2015. Having been a DirecTV customer for over 5 years, I decided to take my service with me.

However, as I just found out when calling customer service, moving service caused me to enter a new 2-year service contract. There was no benefit (discount) on my monthly bill for moving - why would I be locked into a contract?

As soon as this contract is over, I'm moving onto another service provider.

Responses

Rocco22

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

4 years ago

Yes that is policy to be in a contract after moving. Not all contracts come with a discount. Did you get upgraded boxes or just move and get installed with your old equipment? 

There are two ways to get into an agreement with no discount, first is by moving. Second is for an upgrade to a new reciver or adding an additional box. 

brisak

Professor

• 

1.4K Messages

4 years ago

I would have done it for 100$

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

I received upgraded boxes. However, if I would've cancelled my DirecTV service and started new service at the new address (with DirecTV or another provider), I would've received discounts and upgraded boxes. Therefore, moving my DirecTV service actually negatively affected me as I'm now locked into a full price rate. Why punish your customers who actually want to keep service?
I even have AT&T UVerse and receive no bundle discount.
litzdog911

ACE - Sage

• 

53.2K Messages

4 years ago

No.  Cancelling and starting a new service at a new address won't get you "new customer" deals.  It takes two years before you're considered a "new customer" again.  

Did you ask for new equipment or upgrades?   

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
peds48

Expert

• 

36.2K Messages

4 years ago

If you received upgraded receivers as you stated, then the two year commitment comes from the new receivers, not by moving.

mdram4x4

ACE - Master

• 

9K Messages

4 years ago

you can also call and ask for discount, you may be suprised what you get

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you everyone for the helpful replies.

I had to get new equipment as the technician couldn't wire the existing boxes at my new house - so he said I either had to go with the new wireless equipment, or I couldn't have DirecTV.

I called and asked for a discount, and was given $5 off a month. 😕

Get started...

Ask a new question