AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
sbhenkel's profile
sbhenkel
#1 Star!
Helpful 1
The 5th element!

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Wed, Oct 26, 2016 9:33 PM

Why are contact sensors not allowed on garage doors

I was told by our installer that they could not put sensors on garage doors.  Why is that?  There are sensors on my garage windows so I know it's not a matter of climate.  It seems like it's just a matter of the two parts of the sensor coming together or going apart, just like a regular door.  What's the big deal?

PaulMafinga

Former Employee

• 

102 Messages

6 years ago

Garage doors tend to be quite flexible and can move quite a lot in a small wind, too many false alarms would occur if they used standard contact sensors on garage doors.

AT&T does offer Tilt sensors that can be installed on your garage door. These sense when they are being tilted instead of using a magnet. 

sbhenkel

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

That's good to know. Thanks. I'm new to all this. How do you go about getting a tilt sensor, or any device that works with the system for that matter? Also, do they come back out and install it or is it something I could put on?
Tom-NJ

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

6 years ago

It's interesting.. I do have a garage door tilt sensor already and the garage door opener with the door package.  I called customer support today and talked to one person in support and and another in sales and neither of them could sell me another tilt sensor without adding a SECOND door package monthly charge to my bill. Has anyone else successfully purchased just a tilt sensor?

Xponder

Employee

• 

277 Messages

6 years ago

My installer just took the tilt sensor out of the box for the garage door controller. Seems my garage door opener is not compatibile so they did not install the rest of it. I can see when the door is open or closed but it is not monitored. 

sbhenkel

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

So what I'm hearing is that while I already pay $65 a month, I would have to pay even more to have my garage doors protected.  My house is protected except for two big gaping holes in the garage, the garage doors. There's something wrong with this picture.

jmeray

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

6 years ago

sbhenkel,

Can I ask what specifically you are trying to resolve with the tilt sensor? Meaning, if you do own a garage door opener, then someone has to somehow disconnect the openers bypass latch, to get the door open. Am i assuming correctly that you are trying to be alerted for that scenario, or is there some other scenario that you are trying to cover - which maybe we can think of another method by which you can safeguard your concern if tilt-sensors are not easily added to the system without cost. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I too had the same problem.  The system was installed while I was at work, my wife called me and told me that the installer informed her that because of the vibration of the garage door he did not recommend the contact on the garage.  I had them install a motion sensor in the garage.  It's funny that my last alarm company had no problems putting in a contact on the garage and we had the system for over 7 years with no problems.  I thought I was upgrading to a better system.  I was also informed that to bypass a contact that I would have to contact Tech Support and have them do it.  When I purposely left the kitchen window open and tried to arm the system, in the keypad it stated to push * to bypass the kitchen window, which I did and then armed the system without any problems.  AT&T will need to train their people a little better both installers and sales personnel.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I have the DL Garage Door Controller, (2) window sensors on my garage door windows and a sensor on the door into my house from the garage. The Garage Door Controller is nice so I can open and close the door from my iphone. The PROBLEM is that I was out of town twice with no one home, car was in the garage and both times my Garage Door opened by itself.  I had no idea that it had happened, except my neighbor, who was keeping an eye on my house while I was out of town called me and told me that my Garage door was open. I immediately looked at the DL app on my iphone and closed the garage door myself.  I called ATT DL support to complain, but they couldn't tell me why that happened, but they were very willing to sell me a garage tilt sensor for $30 to mount at the top of the garage door so that I can be notified if it opens. Thats still not great because every time I go in and out of the garage while I'm home, I'll get a notification on my iphone.  Still not the perfect solution.

Anyway, today I tried to install the tilt sensor on the garage door and had to call ATT to get the device "discovered" in my DL system, but the customer support tech was unsuccessful in discovering the tilt sensor that I installed.  I told them they needed to send a tech out to install a new sensor.  Appointment is set for this Tuesday so will see what comes of that.  My experience with the 800 # tech support folks has been average to below average, and it seems like every time I talk to them, they want to charge me $100 to have a tech come out. The guy said they probably wouldn't charge for the visit (up to the tech to decide) and I told them if they charged me after having the two garage door opening incidents, that I would be contacting the SVP of DL for ATT and let them know of the situation. Overall the techs have been pretty good so hopefully this issue will be solved on Tuesday. Will let the forum know what happens later this week.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.