Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
RansZ28's profile
RansZ28
Crowd Pleaser 2
Rising Star
Helpful 2

Scholar

• 

323 Messages

Wed, Apr 8, 2015 8:46 PM

Digital Life - Will the motion detector detect motion through a window?

Just seeing if this is possible.  I am aware I can place my system in test mode, and move the detector, but before I do the work, I wanted to ask here!

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

6.6K Messages

7 y ago

@RansZ28

This is not recommended. The motion sensor also detects changes in heat. Glass is not very transparent to infrared energy. Most glass used in homes today is insulated, limiting the movement of heat through glass.

ACE - Sage

• 

90.5K Messages

7 y ago

No, it should not.
RansZ28

Scholar

• 

323 Messages

7 y ago

I have an enclosed outdoor patio that I want security. What about placing the motion sensor outside?

Community Support

• 

6.6K Messages

7 y ago

@RansZ28

This is not recommended. The motion sensor is an indoor device and not designed to withstand the elements. Changes in temperature and moisture may cause damage to the motion sensor and well as impare it's ability to detect movement properly.

RansZ28

Scholar

• 

323 Messages

7 y ago

@ATTDigitalLifeCS So what is the best security option?

Community Support

• 

6.6K Messages

7 y ago

@RansZ28

In your scenario the recommendation would be an Outdoor Camera. The Outdoor Camera is designed to withstand the elements and also can capture video or snapshots when motion is detected. Click here to learn more.

RansZ28

Scholar

• 

323 Messages

7 y ago

Since this is an enclosed area, any camera would work.  What cameras do NOT require a tech install?  (So I don't need to pay a tech fee)

Community Support

• 

6.6K Messages

7 y ago

The only camera that does not require technician installation is the Indoor Wideview camera. I understand that the area is enclosed, however it's best it is also climate controlled. I will reiterate indoor cameras are not designed to withstand the elements and may not perform as expected. Outdoor cameras have built-in heaters to cope with cold temperatures that could prevent the camera from working.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.