Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Mon, Oct 12, 2015 2:05 PM

Can't silence the beep on the Digital Life keypad

It seems that there is no way to silence the beep on the keypad when either alarming or disarming the system. I have it set to the lowest volume and it is still louder than the older keypad that was just replaced. As I get up in the morning an hour earlier than my wife to go to work, I need to disarm the keypad (which is in our bedroom) in order to get the morning paper. The loud two beeps wakes her and is very annoying. I was told by AT&T Customer Service that there is no option to silence the sound and that it is currently set to the lowest volume. Now I can't set the alarm at night to "Stay" which defeats one of the main reasons for having a security system. Strongly recommend that either there be an ability to totally silence this annoying feature or modify the software to be able to significantly lower the audible sound.

Responses

Brand User
ATTDigitalLifeCS

Community Support

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

@proref

There are 2 sounds made by the Digital Life system.

• Chirps made when opening/closing doors/windows (can be muted)
  • Sounds made when arming/disarming system (cannot be muted)

Depending on which sounds you're referring to will determine what if anything can be done to make you're experience better.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for your response. I have had the chirps turned off (muted), but as I originally posted, it is the arming/disarming sounds that are the problem. I am sure I am not the only home with this equipment where the residents keep different hours in getting up in the morning. As it is now, with me getting up an hour before my wife, we can't set the alarm to "Stay" at night because of the double beep when disarming it in the morning which wakes my wife making the system less than ideal. We can only set the alarm to "Away" and the "Stay" function can't be used in our case because of the loud and annoying beeps when the system is disarmed. Hope this clarifies what I originally posted. It can be resolved with relatively simple codes put into the software. I only hope that there will be enough people with this problem that the AT&T techs will make the addition to the software functions to resolve this issue.

Brand User

Community Support

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

@proref

Your request is noted and will be passed on to our developers for consideration in future enhancements.

Thank you

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Employee

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I agree, this is the first alarm system I've ever used that those tones cannot be muted.  Please pass it on. 

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

5 years ago

Yes, this is a big problem.  My husband gets up at 4:30am to go to work, and the beeps from him disarming and arming the system wake me up, on the other side of the house!  They are at least twice as loud as my prior system.  There definitely needs to be a way to turn these down to a more acceptable level.  This may end up being a prime reason for cancelling the service.

Also, i've tried sending a private message to DL cust serv, as suggested in other posts, but no one has bothered responding.  Service from AT&T is very poor.  

Brand User

Community Support

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

@karen8906dl

I apologize for the delay in responding to your message. Please see my private message to you.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Good Morning,

I did the original post on this problem and was wondering if you could share the "private" response you received from AT&T so I can know if they have any plans for customers to silence this annoying feature, but still be able to leave it on for those that like or need that feature? Thanks and have a great day........Zeno

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.9K Messages

5 years ago

Just throwing in my 2 cents.  I don't  have digital life, I've used 2 different systems, both had a quiet beep on the panel when armed and disarmed.  The real fun started when the battery back up ran out during a long power outage.

The only way around the beeps in the morning were to bypass the door to the garage (in our case) the night before. 

I get that some kind of notice is a good idea, but the panel says "armed". What more is needed?

I now have 3 dogs.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Brand User

Community Support

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

@proref

Unfortunately the entry/exit sounds when arming/disarming your system cannot be completely silenced. However, the chime when doors are opened/closed can be turned off.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

5 years ago

From reading these forums the only way to silence this is to remove the speaker from the keypad.

Brand User

Community Support

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

Removing the speaker is NOT recommended as doing so may damage the keypad.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

It is driving us crazy that we can't turn the chime off and on ourselves.  With our other alarm system I could turn the chime on anytime my husband left the house and I was home alone.  Then we would turn it off again on his return.  Now I have to call AT&T TWICE a day to do that?  Really a poor use of my time. This, along with the loud armed/disarmed sound means I am looking to change back to my previous alarm company and system.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Interestingly (or not) I have not seen anyone on this forum refer to the Digital Life overall user experience as being an improvement over previous systems.  I have to agree.  It's funny how little things that I took for grannted before become big things when they are not there.

Not turning off alarm acknoledgement beeps is (just) one of them (not pressing the numbers, although that would be nice, I refer to the armed acknowledgement beeps).  My primary complaint with the experience is the DELAY after you arm the system when Staying  (I hold to arm Instant at night).

There is a ~10+ second delay before the system beeps.  I assume this is because it needs to communicate with the central service before really saying it is really really armed??

Having dogs that spend the last 10 years with a (quiet) instant acknowledgement at whichever  keypad was used has them freaking out when the alarm beeps twice when I am already in bed or walking around away from the keypads.

Can the acknowledgement be instant?

Brand User

Community Support

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

Hello @Woods1957

At this time the sound you hear cannot be silenced. However, we have heard these concerns and our development team is looking into adding this feature in future product enhancements.

• 

1 Message

BS. This is still an issue that cannot be controlled by the user, as it should be. 5 YEARS LATER. 

Glad I’m out of contract. 

(edited)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I didn't realize until tonight how annoying the arm and disarming beeps were. We are just starting to arm the house at night as there was a stabbing just up the street from us last night.

We never did before because we have two small dogs who need to go out at night. We turned off the other chirps as they were hurting my dogs ears. Now this!?!

There has to be a solution to this. I wanted the keypad further away from my bedroom but the installer said he couldn't put it there. So now the beeping is more than likely going to wake us all up at night if my dogs have to go out. Please fix this issue!

Get started...

Ask a new question