Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.
wvmom21

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Thu, Jan 23, 2020 4:39 PM

wi-fi calling

I asked a question back in October or November. The moderator then switched to private messages (which I cannot find now) that I wish I had printed out. Then I've been working over the landline with "Kenneth" about wi-fi calling "not available" since changing modems from our internet provider. Now I cannot get "Kenneth" to return my calls. (Our phones are Samsung 7 and Samsung 10 E).

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.3K Messages

a month ago

Old private messages have been deleted and the service is not currently available. We have no idea when or if it will ever be restored. Yes it's a great inconvenience.

The only way you could lose Wi-Fi calling when changing your modem, is if you no longer are signing in to your internet/don't know pass key.
▶️ Are you signed in? Can you turn off Cellular Connection and still access data?

Wi-Fi calling is relatively simple process. Any Wi-Fi that you can sign into with your phone will allow your phone to make Wi-Fi calls.

The only other reason Wi-Fi calling were to fail is if you had a defective phone. One defective phone would make sense, two defective phones, especially one is so new does not make sense.
▶️. Are both phones able to sign in and use Wi-Fi calling on other wifi? (friend or family)

I would hope support has gone over all possibilities of this with you more than once and that nothing I'm saying is new.
Please let us know how far along in the troubleshooting process you are.

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
wvmom21

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

@lizdance40 We are able to sign in and use to wi-fi calling (with both phones) if we use a different provider OR if we use the old modem from our internet provider, but that modem is outdated and was replaced by Frontier Communications. (we have asked some of our visitors to try to use wi-fi calling and they also are unable to use that service from our provider). We can access our wi-fi and use the internet with both phones; the only problem is that wi-fi calling will NOT work as it once did. I have called Frontier many times and gone over these problems and they claim that the problem is not theirs. I spoke with them last week and they say they need "port" information from AT&T to send to our modem. In our last conversation, "Kenneth" asked me to contact Frontier once again and let them know he and I would be calling them to try to remedy this situation. "Kenneth" has been helpful up to this point. Our phones are both up to date.

(edited)

gr8sho

ACE - Professor

• 

2K Messages

even with att as my isp, I was reluctantly forced to buy my own home WiFi system in order to get reliable WiFi calling.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.3K Messages

I'm puzzled as I use other people's wifi & wifi calling all the time, Cox, xfinity and Frontier are the three providers.

Frontier is crap and on the verge of declaring bankruptcy, I use them briefly myself and their customer service has gotten progressively worse over 5 years.
If your old modem Works put the old modem back in. I cannot imagine why they need to upgrade your modem as long as service is working properly. Tell Frontier to stuff it.

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

wvmom21

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

The old modem works for our wi-fi calling, BUT then we suffer problems with staying connected to the internet. Hence the reason Frontier installed the new modem. :(

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.3K Messages

Shoot.
The modem is a 'surf board' Oh, by that I mean it provides the services of a router as well as being a modem?
Does Frontier provide Wi-Fi extenders? And might they be open port? I'm sorry if that's not helpful I'm just spitballing

wvmom21

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Yes, the modem and router are one and the same with Frontier. I am not sure about the extender or open port; I am technologically challenged. However, I do know that the last time I spoke with Frontier they stated that if they knew what port our cell phones needed then they might be able to send that information to our modem/router in hopes that it would then allow us to use wi-fi calling over their internet.

wvmom21

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

AT&T Customer service has stopped working with me on this problem through landline conversations and Frontier will not work with me either. I'm very disappointed in the quality of Customer Service from both. It is what it is. :(

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.3K Messages

I don't want to discourage you further oh, but I'm afraid my response might do that. From your own previous posts there's nothing wrong with the phones as they do connect to other Wi-Fi connections and work with Wi-Fi calling. This would indicate the problem is not with your phones, but with your home internet connection.
HOWEVER
You also wrote that other people were unable to connect to your home internet and use Wi-Fi calling.
The only thing that leaves is user error in signing in to the new gateway. Even from your earlier posts I was leaning toward your phone's not being signed in to your home internet with the new, correct passkey.
Since you indicate you're not very technical, there are ways of checking this that are pretty simple. If you turn airplane mode on. Then turn Wi-Fi back on, can you use your phone to surf the Internet? If you cannot then you are not signed into your home internet service. If you can, then I'm wrong.
Sorry, just shooting blind

(edited)