Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!
walker2174

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sun, Jun 11, 2017 1:26 PM

Wi-fi calling stopped working

We live in a rural area with poor service. Wi-fi calling is a godsend. It has worked splendidly until about a week ago. Now, even when we have a strong wi-fi signal, there is "no service", i.e. no wi-fi calling, on any of our phones (iphone 6s). We can neither make nor receive calls. We've rebooted our router and phones - no change. The wi-fi speed test shows ample capacity. Please help.

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

75.5K Messages

2 years ago

@raven277  Did you read post 10 about forcing Wifi calling?

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
raven277

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

yes in airplane mode and still poor signal

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

No, not solved! This doesn't work on my phone. Att is no good! I read all the time about AI, autonomous driving cars etc. But att can't even figure out WiFi calling for us poor sob's that live in an area with no cell signal. Att is a joke and always has been. Wish my work would switch to another carrier!!!

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

2 years ago

@Chriswg wrote:

No, not solved! This doesn't work on my phone.

"This"? What is "this"?  We need more VERY specific details if you want any help.  (leave out the part about the AI; stick to the facts, avoiding "it" and "this" and "that")

What happens when you put the phone in Airplane mode and then enable WiFi?

How fast is the internet connection to the WiFi you are trying to use?

Does it work any better somewhere else? (Even if cellular is good somewhere else, put in Airplane mode / WiFI=on and see if it works better there, maybe it's a problem at home)

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

This is what was talked about, airplane mode and turn on WiFi for WiFi
calling.

First, why should anyone have to do that??

Speed is 50gigs per sec.

Also doesn't work at my office where I have terrible cell service.

Didn't work on the active 6 I had before from work.

Works fine on my wife's cheap Google fi phone.

Sometimes WiFi calling works fine at my house but it's very random. Never
had service this bad with WiFi calling. It's in att best interest to make
this work, less data over cell and more on my WiFi. Maybe I'm wrong and
that's not important with data usage going through the roof??
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

2 years ago

@Chriswg wrote:
This is what was talked about, airplane mode and turn on WiFi for WiFi
calling.

First, why should anyone have to do that??

You should not have to, I asked for DIAGNOSTIC purposes.  

You have issues, we need to diagnose. I can't just jump to a conclusion based on a symptom described as "this", I'm not a quack.

If that didn't get you into WiFi Calling, then it's probably not set up right on that phone.

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
raven277

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Why don't you get it.  Wifi calling is not working....You turn it on then of by hitting the button....no brainer.  I have to turn wifi off completely to get a phone signal in my work and home,  I have a strong wifi signal and wifi calling does not work and its a new phone Samsung s8.  However daughter's iphone seems to get a signal.  Obviously att and samsung need to fix why this does not work.  wifi calling is suppose to give you a signal and it does not!!! not that phone is not configured right.  It is a flaw in the network compatibiity with the Samsung and perhaps other manufacturers.  Wifi calling should work if yo have a good wifi network plain and simple

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

2 years ago

@raven277 wrote:

Why don't you get it.  Wifi calling is not working....You turn it on then of by hitting the button....no brainer.  I have to turn wifi off completely to get a phone signal in my work and home,  I have a strong wifi signal and wifi calling does not work and its a new phone Samsung s8.  However daughter's iphone seems to get a signal.  Obviously att and samsung need to fix why this does not work.  wifi calling is suppose to give you a signal and it does not!!! not that phone is not configured right.  It is a flaw in the network compatibiity with the Samsung and perhaps other manufacturers.  Wifi calling should work if yo have a good wifi network plain and simple

Yes. It should work.

It does need to be configured properly. The phone needs to have it set on. If it's IMPROPERLY configured at AT&T, it won't work. My setup was NOT configured properly and AT&T had to make sure my IMEI was set properly in their system (it was in one spot, but not another?).

It does NOT kick on as soon as it sees WiFi, they have a secret formula (which I wish were tweaked to turn on more easily).  Mine varies if it's on at home all the time.

The turning on airplane mode and then wifi back on is a good way to verify WiFi Calling is on, as that should force it on.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks for the help??

Any other suggestions?

It works sometimes.

Sometimes I send a text and that won't even go. I have to go to Google
hangouts and works fine.

WiFi on, WiFi calling on. Try turning WiFi off and back on, then WiFi
calling off and on, airplane on, WiFi back on. Every combo I can think of.

What do you suggest I do??
raven277

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

nope even on airplane mode did not work.  only way to get cell signal is to have wifi off completely.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

2 years ago

@raven277 wrote:

nope even on airplane mode did not work.  only way to get cell signal is to have wifi off completely.

We're not trying to get a CELL signal.

We're trying to get WIFI CALLING to work, that would require WIFI ON.

This is a thread about WIFI CALLING.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

2 years ago

@Chriswg wrote:
It works sometimes.

"IT"?

Doing the steps forces the phone to WIFI CALLING mode (should say "AT&T WIFI" at the top instead of LTE/4G/etc.)?

OR

Doing the steps gets it to WIFI CALLING mode BUT it still doesn't work sending texts and make calls? You need to know if it says "AT&T WIFI" at the top (that means it's in WiFi calling mode).

WiFi on, WiFi calling on. Try turning WiFi off and back on, then WiFi
calling off and on, airplane on, WiFi back on. Every combo I can think of.

Leave WiFi Calling ON, it won't work if it's off.

Other combinations pretty much won't work as a test. 

Sometimes I send a text and that won't even go.

At those times, does it say  "AT&T WIFI" at the top? (that means it's in WiFi calling mode)

I have to go to Google
hangouts and works fine.

That might be true but it has nothing to do with WiFi Calling.

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

Earlier I was posting how wifi calling wasn't working on my active 6, then active 7 and now I have an iphone 7 plus.

Still the same as before, very random when the wifi calling works. 

When I am hooked up to wifi (yes I can search the web etc) and in airplane mode with wifi calling on I still can't make calls and a window pops up and tells me to wither get out of airplane mode or hook up to a wifi network.. Why would the phone suggest me to hook up to a wifi network when I'm on a verified working wifi network??

3 phones and still the same B$.

This post is just a shot in the dark to get the attention of someone at ATT that could potentially make it work on there end. But I'm sure my settings or phone will get the blame.

micj96

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

2 years ago

My wife and I both have this problem (both iPhone 7 with up to date software). Talked with AT&T Chat yesterday and they adjusted both of our phones "provisioning and some other settings). She pushed the changes through and we had to restart the phones. Tested both phones and was able to make a call using Wifi Calling. I told her it was intermittent so I wasn't convinced but she was sure the adjustments she made would fix the problem. Later that day, my wife had the issue arise again but it did seem better (was able to make about 3 calls without dropping). Today, issue back in full, neither of our phones had Wifi Calling functioning. Had to reset Carrier setting to get it to work, for a awhile. Guess I'll be back on the Chat with AT&T. Very frustrating.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

75.5K Messages

2 years ago

If multiple different phones have an intermittent problem, I suspect you’re on the edge of an HD voince coverage area.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.