Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

alj96z

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Mon, Mar 13, 2017 7:12 PM

Why is FaceTime over cellular blocked on the new gophone unlimited plan?

I haven't seen this message since the first time FaceTime was introduced. Why is gophone blocking FaceTime over cellular? Isn't this against the law? I'm on the new gophone unlimited plan. Here's the message I get: http://imgur.com/zLnna9g

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.1K Messages

3 years ago

Against the law?  No.

It is possible the streaming limit of 480k will not support FaceTime.  Contact ATT and check FaceTime settings.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
alj96z

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

I contacted at&t and went through some troubleshooting steps to no avail. Both mine and my wife's lines which are on two separate accounts have this issue, so I definitely believe this is due to a restriction imposed by at&t. Per Apple, FaceTime requires a minimum connection of 1mbps so speed shouldn't be an issue. If at&t is deliberately disabling this feature, they need to state so in the terms and conditions.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.1K Messages

3 years ago

The new Gophone unlimited plan specifically states it limits video to 480p. I don't know if FaceTime requires higher res to function.

while they may not list FaceTime, it may fall into the crack.

might have to consider a different plan next month

IMG_5529.PNG

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

3 years ago

That stinks!

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
jt212s

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

3 years ago

Just a few years ago, AT&T (and other carriers) flat out banned FaceTime over cellular all together. Apple has made it at the carrier's discretion.

It would be interesting to see if postpaid customers on the Choice plan are experiencing this issue. Or even those on the old retired unlimited plan.

Justin

If this solved your problem, please consider accepting this as the solution so that it can help others in the future. Please remember that this is a customer forum and all of the answers we provide are through our own research, experience, or personal knowledge.
alj96z

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

I've been able to verify that postpaid unlimited choice customers, which are on virtually the same plan as gophone unlimited, do have access to FaceTime over cellular. I wish At&T would chime in here with an official response.
alj96z

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

I filed an FCC complaint in Monday regarding FaceTime over cellular not working on the $65 unlimited gophone plan and received a call today from the ATT office of the president. They told me this is a known issue they are working on and she submitted a ticket on my account to have it fixed on the backend within 3-5 days. So long story short, FaceTime over cellular is supposed to work, it's just a system glitch that is blocking it.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.1K Messages

3 years ago

@alj96z

Thanks for the update!

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…