Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Get the myAT&T app
ATTKevin's profile
ATTKevin
#1 Star!
Helpful 1
Supersonic 25!

Former Employee

• 

408 Messages

Fri, Jan 6, 2017 11:35 PM

Who Is Calling Me? - Protect Yourself with AT&T Call Protect

Call Protect.png

Hello Community!

I’m excited to announce the latest tool in our family of apps designed to protect you from unwanted (and potentially fraudulent) calls.

Keep reading for more information.

1 Attachment

Morac

Mentor

• 

104 Messages

4 y مضت

Has anyone signed up for Call Protect Plus through the iOS app and actually had it work?  I’ve been using the free version for awhile and signed up for the plus version inside the iOS app.  From the perspective of the app I’m signed up.  I also got a text message saying I signed up, but when I check the AT&T My features web site, it says I’m not signed up.  Attempting to do so resulted in a   RESCOM0111 error.  I also received a spam call today even though I set things up to send those to voicemail.  

Overall it it looks like the app knows I’ve subscribed to Plus, but not the AT&T backend.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 y مضت

Hi, Kevin,

I hope you are still available for assistance. I am trying to find out how to set up Call Protect on a land line and although there appears to be information on this, no attempt or keywords will get me there.

Thanks for your help.

Gail

ATTKevin

Former Employee

• 

408 Messages

4 y مضت

@Gsussman wrote:

Hi, Kevin,

I hope you are still available for assistance. I am trying to find out how to set up Call Protect on a land line and although there appears to be information on this, no attempt or keywords will get me there.

Thanks for your help.

Gail

Hey @Gsussman (Gail)! 

Happy to help! This article on Digital Phone Call Protect should be able to walk you through the process. 

I would be curious to see what search terms you're using so I can let my Search Engine Optimization (SEO) team know. Would you mind letting me know here or by sending me a private message on the side?

Morac

Mentor

• 

104 Messages

4 y مضت

Is there a known issue with paying for Call Protect Plus through iTunes subscription?  If not someone needs to put a bug report in as signing up with the iOS app breaks the ability to see that you are subscribed to Call Protect Plus in the MyATT app or web site.  It also breaks the ability for customer service to manage Call Protect at all.

Here’s my experience.  

I signed up for Call Protect Basic in the iOS app when it was released.  When I did “Call Protect Basic” showed up under the “My Features” section in MyATT.  In December I used the app to sign up for Call Protect Plus.  This bills as an iTunes subscription.  It worked and I was upgraded to plus, but a side effect was that MyATT didn’t show me as subscribed to either Call Protect Basic or Call Protect Plus.  Attempting to change that on MyATT resulted in an error message about being unable to view my account. 

I found Call Protect Plus lacking in that not only didn’t custom call blocking work (I’m getting calls from “Unknown Callers” with no phone number despite blocking that), but the enhanced caller ID details make things worse (incoming call just shows name without number and name can be “Wireless Caller”).  As such I canceled the iTunes subscription for Call Protect Plus and let it expire.  After it expired Call Protect Plus was still active. 

I called into AT&T and spoke to enhanced support and the person manually changed Call Protect to Basic.  This broke the app as it then asked me to sign up by entering my phone number and then the pin I received.  Doing so resulted in the app saying “we’ve hit a snag” and failing.  At this point the MyATT website also said I wasn’t subscribed to Call Protect Basic or Plus and gave me an error if I tried to sign up for either.  I had the support person completely remove Call Protect from my account and I again tried to register in the Call Protect app and again I got an error trying to register.  Same on the web site.  The agent said I needed to accept the terms of service, but I couldn’t even get to that step.

Finally I asked the person to set my account back the way it was which was to enabled the Call Protect Plus feature.  Once he did that I could successsfuly register and get back into the Call Protect app.  The web site still showed me not registered to Basic or Plus, but at least the app worked.

When I first signed up for AT&T Plus I spoke to someone at AT&T and they said my account showed me being subscribed to “Call Protect Plus iTunes billing”, which isn’t something that’s visible on the web site.  I’m also pretty sure the support agents can’t see that when in the Call Protect features page in their account management.  I’m not sure how the original person saw that.  Any way as long as that is on your account any attempt by the support agents to downgrade or cancel Call Protect means you can never use the service again as attempting to sign in or add Basic while that is active results in an error. 

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1220427?gsi=

The above web site indicates that to downgrade on the iPhone...

Downgrade from Plus

1. Go to Settings in Mobile Security or Call Protect.
  2. Tap Account and then Change Service.
  3. Choose AT&T Mobile Security & Call Protect $0.00.
  4. Select Lock Plus Features, then Lock. You’ll see a confirmation message that you’re now using the free version

The problem is that after tapping #2 above, the page simply says cancel on iTunes and downgrading will be automatic.  As such subscribing to Call Protect Plus in the iOS app simply breaks your account.

This needs to be fixed as follows:

1. MyATT should show Call Protect Plus as a feature when subscribed through iTunes.  To make things easier maybe show it as “Call Protect Plus (iTunes)”.  It should not allow switching to Basic via the web site and should say to cancel in iTunes.  

2. When the subscription expires allow downgrading back to Basic in the app or online without throwing an error.  That or do so automatically.  At that point the MyATT site should show Call Protect Basic feature being on the account. 

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

4 y مضت

Unfortunately, i wouldn't have high hopes other than AT&T's response to looking into the spam calls... "we will be glad to change your number free of charge"

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y مضت

Thanks, I found a web page on this.

https://www.whoiscallingme.net

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 y مضت

Kevin,

I've had a few life interruptions since your reply above. I also had trouble finding my way back here. What saved me is the latest addition to this thread!

I tried looking at the links you offered and still can't find the help I need. The link above is not specific about land lines vs. mobile phones. It seems to be all about mobile phones. I've also heard about a phone app (I have an iPhone) that is supposed to help a bit. I have used Hiya but it only identifies who people are, if listed. It does nothing to stop unwanted calls.

The number of spam calls I'm getting is only getting worse. Now I have calls being masked to show they are coming from other countries; Russia, Mexico (while I was actually in Mexico), and up to 5 calls per day.

I look forward to your assistance.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4 y مضت

Kevin, one more thing. I just tried downloading and using AT&T Call Protect by I don't have the HD voice "thingie" on my phone. It is an iPhone 5S that has the latest software update.

Privetfla

Scholar

• 

285 Messages

3 y مضت

@ATTKevin 

This app also causes a problem in that the name no longer appears on the screen on incoming calls from contacts. I had to disable the app to correct this. Everyone is having this problem with Call Protect. This app has major glitches and should not be used.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

3 y مضت

Good thing they want us to pay for it too!
/end sarcasm

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 y مضت

Same problem here, came looking for a solution, also on iPhone 6S. Uninstalled, reinstalled, same problem. I get the text with the pin and I can enter it but no way to get rid of the on screen keyboard to hit enter or submit. Typical AT&T. I just dumped DirecTv and will be dumping both of our phone lines within weeks. Total joke.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y مضت

I received a call with my name displayed as the caller. They said I had a security problem with my ATT account and there was hypertext  to call a number. I hung up. ATT wouldn't call me like that, would they?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

3 y مضت

No AT&T would NOT do that.
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

• 

2 Messages

2 y مضت

Why is it so difficult (read Impossible) for AT&T to control who uses their system to make robo calls, hijack numbers to make calls from and generally screw up everyone's life with unwanted and annoying calls? Are there only robot people at AT&T, no engineers with enough knowledge to make a real  scam proof system? Or is the real issue that they make so much money from the bogus calls, the hacks, the robo calls and spammers using the system that they would take a hit in the pocket if they really did something about it?

We signed up for the call protect, which did nothing to prevent  the calls- of any kind. Now I find out that oh, it only works if you have a ATT phone or an Android. And only if it has HD. What a load, I have been with AT&T for more than 55 YEARS and the only thing I need now is a competitor and I'll be gone from AT&T as their service, equipment - including but not limited to wireless internet- has really gone downhill. And i can't believe how much we pay for the lousy service we get. 

c'mon people- stop the robo calls, get a do not call list that works-all the time and we will all be happy to pay the bill. As it is, I get angry every time I write that check. If you were a restaurant, nobody would eat there twice.

• 

1 Message

2 y مضت

I have a primary account with three attached phone numbers. If I have  Call Protect activated on the primary account does this automatically include all the associated phone numbers on that account? Thank you.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.