Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Get the myAT&T app
ATTKevin's profile
ATTKevin
#1 Star!
Helpful 1
Supersonic 25!

Former Employee

• 

408 Messages

Fri, Jan 6, 2017 11:35 PM

Who Is Calling Me? - Protect Yourself with AT&T Call Protect

Call Protect.png

Hello Community!

I’m excited to announce the latest tool in our family of apps designed to protect you from unwanted (and potentially fraudulent) calls.

Keep reading for more information.

1 Attachment

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

5 y مضت

Can prepaid acts use the app also?

i tried using the other att app and it didn’t like my phone number and zip code- 

is there an app for prepaid Accts?

ACE - Sage

• 

100.3K Messages

5 y مضت

No.  You can use Hiya, which is the developer of Call protect. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 y مضت

How come I still get calls come through even though the caller ID says suspected spam

ACE - Sage

• 

100.3K Messages

5 y مضت

Call protect isn’t  perfect either.   Since it was first introduced in January, it has improved a lot.  

I have a phone using Hiya, and another using Call Protect (now called Mobile security). 

Users are part of building the data base of fraud, telemarketing, spam and Robocaller callers.  I’m sure Hiya is benefiting from the same data base that Call Protect uses.  

At first, everything got through.  Now I will show a dozen blocked calls that don’t even ring through. 

Spoofed numbers are still not flagged or blocked as the number is valid and belongs to a regular person.  Those are always going to be a problem until there is a reliable system to identify and filter spoofed calls.  

I just saw the FCC is working on a new strategy.  Fingers crossed.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 y مضت

Thank you for this response.  Yes, spoofed calls are a big problem.  I wonder if they can program the system to see where the calls are originating from.  My guess is that it would look different than the origination of the actual call. 

When I manually block a number and I report it, what is the best choice to pick to ensure that myself and no one else will receive these nuisance calls?  Currently I am selecting fraud but are there better choices? 

ACE - Sage

• 

100.3K Messages

5 y مضت

@rich7330

Within hiya, I think you have the option to select telemarketing, fraud, spam and may even add details that I’ve seen when I am in the app.  

Spoofed calls are a problem as they can spoof a valid number, like your own.   When it’s a local, similar number, I figure it’s spoofed.    I don’t want my personal number blocked as fraud or spam, so mostly I ignore spoofed numbers so I’m not blocking someone else’s valid number.  Even if you do, it falls off in 30 days.   Up to you.  

Numbers that do identify as fraud, telemarketing,  you can add to your phones Auto reject list, which is permanent. 

I cant find the article on what their doing about spoofing.   It’s not legal, but no one has tried to stop them.  I personally want to tell ‘Rachel from card service’ I don’t need her, stop calling.  But alas...

When or if something breaks on spoofing, I’m sure it will be big news.    

ACE - Sage

• 

100.3K Messages

5 y مضت

@rich7330

Lookie what came up in my news feed...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fake-irs-scam-calls-can-now-blocked-115027987.html

This is what I heard on the new a few days ago.   

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 y مضت

That is good news. I hope someone from AT&T monitors this.  When we manually block a number I wish we had the option to block it permanently or only block for 30 days.  In most cases I would not want to receive a call a month from now from a scammer that tried to scam me today.  

ACE - Sage

• 

100.3K Messages

5 y مضت

Call Protect and Hiya only do 30 days.  Your phone may have an ‘auto reject list’. Ya know, for ex boy/girlfriends, mother in laws, etc.  call Protect and Hiya keep the list even after 30 days.  So if someone didn’t get the hint, you can add to Auto reject list.  

Unfortunately, I find both Hiya and Call Protect only Auto reject things labeled fraud.  Telemarketing still rings a couple seconds.  Spoofed calls ring, but hang up in 21 seconds.  I think Voicemail picks up in 26, so they must have it timed.  🦃🦃🦃

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 y مضت

Weeks ago, Incoming telemarketer calls with "call protect" 'rang to my phone with a great big obvious ""telemarketer, threat: severe" flag. in place of the phone number.  This made it very easy to know which calls to reject.

However now, ONLY the phone number is shows in the incoming call screen; there are no "call project" messages flagging it as spam.    When I look at the call log in the Call Protect App, it clearly notes those spam calls were telemarketers known to the database; but for some reason, this information is no longer being presented to the incoming call screen of my iphone 6Plus. (version 11.1.2 (15B202).

Help!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 y مضت

Here's the statement in the currents bill:

News you can use

Stop unwanted calls

Detect unwanted calls with Digital Phone Call Protect and have more control over nuisance calls.  Opt in and begin using this free service !  Visit att.com and log in to Myatt.  Call Protect is located under "Check or manage voicemail & features", then select the "Phone features" tab and click on "Call Protect".

The above statement is very confusing !

It doesn't say if  "Call protect" is for wireless or landline or both !

If "Call Protect" is for wireless:  Do you have to download  another app in addition to the ATT.com app that I already have ?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 y مضت

I have been having the same issue.  I've used the app for over a year, but upon updating to a new iPhone and reloading the app there have been no noted calls listed when I've received quite a few calls, but they don't show up in the list.  

I have people who call me directly on the iPhone and I've got calls forwarded to me via a land line and in the past both show up in the log, but now none show up.

What is going on?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 y مضت

I couldn't find anything about what happens from the callers perspective. 

Do they get disconnected? 

Do they leave a message and it isn't delivered? 

I'm curious as I'd not want a call to come that shouldn't have been designed as "telemarketer" or something, the caller leaves a message and I never receive it to know they've called.  Thanks for your help.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 y مضت

I really don’t know the answer to your question, it is a good one, so I would suggest contacting AT&T directly and see if anyone can provide you with an answer.

Since I purchased a new iPhone from an Apple store and not AT&T I no longer have access to the app and have started using an app called Hiyah in it’s place. Not quite as good but it works.

All the best,

WW

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 y مضت

thanks. 

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.