Get the myAT&T app
dsz's profile

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, August 16th, 2022 1:09 AM

How can I stop getting Spam Risk calls? (10x/day!)

I've got an iPhone on an AT&T plan. Suddenly I'm getting ten or more voice calls a day listed as "Spam Risk".

Googling, the only advice I've found is "Block that number". Thanks, but they're all from different numbers. If AT&T and Apple can tell that they're Spam RIsks, and filter them to be labeled as such, why can't they block them?

I'm really hoping there's some setting I don't know about. Does AT&T have any control over which calls (known to be dangerous!) get through to their phones? 

Thank you all!

Dave

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

There really isn't a setting because, as you've noted, the phone numbers are constantly changing, and they are probably spoofed anyway so there just isn't a way to completely block them. What we do on our iPhones is if we don't recognize the number, we don't pick up and just let it go to Voicemail. If it's important, the caller will leave a message. If not, it wasn't important. It is irritating to let your phone ring 4 or 5 times but if you just cancel the call, the computer may detect that as a pickup and keep trying.

Why AT&T can mark them as spam but let them thru is weird. I'm thinking that there is as set of rules that these spam calls meet that marks them as spam but AT&T still lets them thru in case they're legit.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks, but I wish AT&T, or Apple, would let ME decide if I want them to get through or not!

Any workarounds? I'd love to hear them. Actually, what I'd love to hear is an actual solution from the powers that be.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

@dsz  Sorry to be a buzzkill but there is nothing that you can really do on your iPhone to stop them from coming thru. AT&T has a Call Protect app or option but I've never bothered to use it because I hear it's not that effective. I just delete and ignore, but I get very few so it's just an irritant more than anything else. In fact, I haven't seen the Spam Risk notification for quite some time but I still get the occasional call.

1 Message

4 months ago

When phone companies assign numbers to subscribers why don't they verify if the business or individual is legitimate?  When they don't conduct a verification, they should be assessed a penalty. If they continue to do so, the penalty is significantly increased.  Something must be done to resolve this issue.  I have received over 100 "Spam Likely" calls within the last couple months.  I have registered with the Do Not Call system and that has become a joke.  If I subscribe to one of the blocking apps. then I may be paying money for something that is not effective.  What a waste!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 months ago

Complain to the FCC, like everyone else does.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.