Gift your grad endless possibilities. Celebrate right now and connect them to their brightest future.
Get the myAT&T app
G

• 

40 Messages

Monday, December 20th, 2021 6:32 PM

4G S8 to be disconnected with 3G shutdown - here is what you can do

If you own a Samsung S8 starting with model number G955U or G950U, and you have received a text/letter from AT&T saying they will disconnect you in February for using a 3G phone, take note.

FIRST: Your phone is 4G and should is supported. Samsung has confirmed this for me and showed me an AT&T web page that doubly confirms it (see https://www.att.com/device-support/article/wireless/KM1273778/Samsung/SamsungG955U/).

SECOND: AT&T is ignoring complaints about unilaterally disconnecting 4G phones under the guise of dropping 3G service. Some are speculating that AT&T is railroading you into upgrading your phone when it is not necessary.

THIRD: You should make your concerns heard by the following interested parties:

SAMSUNG: They should be concerned that AT&T is misinforming customers about Samsung product capabilities. Here is a shortcut to voicing your concern https://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact/?model=N0022597&topic=SYM0000442

FTC: Since AT&T is providing customers fraudulent information, telling the Federal Trade Commission about it will get a response. Visit https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/form/main?pid=B

FCC: Since AT&T rents the public airwaves, and since the FCC has many consumer protection rules, they too should be made aware at https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=39744

Be sure to note that (a) you have a 4G phone, (b) AT&T is incorrectly identifying it as 3G and (c) is preparing to kill your service in February (and maybe scaring you into upgrading).

• 

40 Messages

1 year ago

@nestie123456, I originally called customer support when I got the "we are unplugging 3G" letter. They gave me the wrong replacement model and an approximate date.

Later I got an email from AT&T (Jan 22) when they were shipping the replacement phone.

I don't know, but I have a hunch, not everybody is getting a replacement. Might depend on your contract, payment history, etc.

Another example of AT&T not being very good at communicating ... despite being a communications company.

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

Hello all

I have recently moved to the US from England. I bought an unlocked Samsung Note 10+ and used my UK sim for a while until roaming cut off. Then I switched to AT&T and joined my girlfriends plan. 

Anyway, today she recieved a text message saying that due to this 3G fiasco they are ssnign out a replacement phone for my handset. 

I didn't think my phone would be an issue. Its a note 10+ and running android 12. So all jdosges have been carried out. 

In your opinion, will I likely be cut off, and this new handset they're supposedly sending out be of similar spec? 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

20.7K Messages

1 year ago

@Newbienewperson This is not a fiasco. AT&T notified customers well over a year ago that their 3G network would be shutdown completely by the end of February 2022. Verizon plans on doing the same by the end of this year. Everyone is moving away from 3G and going to LTE, 5G. Your exact model of phone has to be on the AT&T Whitelist if you want to keep using it. It is up to the phone mfrs to certify their phones to work on AT&T's network after the 3G shutdown, and if they don't submit the certification, the phones won't work.

ACE - Sage

• 

107.4K Messages

1 year ago

@Newbienewperson

The problem is not the age of the phone or which Android version it is running. The problem is it's not provisioned properly to work over LTE on AT&T or Verizon.  

If you are still using the phone you should be able to see that it is dropping to 3-g service rather than using LTE during voice calls

If it isn't using LTE for voice calls now, it won't use LTE for voice calls at the end of the month which means you won't have any voice calls at all.

• 

40 Messages

1 year ago

@OttoPylot, it was a fiasco. I did not receive notification from AT&T until December of 2021. The communications were poor, vague, incomplete, inaccurate ... and that atop the ignorant timing of the 3G cut-off.

AT&T is normally a good provider, but in this case, they were disaster personified.

ACE - Sage

• 

107.4K Messages

1 year ago

@guyshomenet2

I will acknowledge that there was a better way of doing this, but I don't get paid by AT&T so they didn't ask me.

The first mistake was sending out an email two and a half years in advance (summer 2019).  Then compounding that mistake by bowing to media heckling and retracting the emails and not sending out any more.  I guess that's two mistakes.

Number three, the sending out of new phones. Some people were perfectly happy with The Replacements they received oh, some people were insulted to receive a cheap Android phone for a replacement for a high spec, high capacity Xiaomi or whatever.  Neither of the other carriers are providing free replacements. They weren't even offered. 

Anyone who hasn't purchased a phone from AT&T since 2015, or has been purchasing phones never meant to operate in North America took their chances, and now they need to replace their phone. A T & T doesn't owe any of these people a free phone. 

4, insufficient notice... 

I'm pretty sure the computer knows what's connected and what can't be connected anymore. AT&T should have not allowed incompatible phones to connect to the network as far back as they could go. Like summer of 2019. Anything that has been connected over the past year could easily have been disconnected by sending out of those AT&T free text messages at 90 days, 60 days, 30 days and then disconnect people and not take the money.   90 days is a fair minimum, it takes me at least that long to decide what to buy because I buy non carrier Androids. 

AT&T has allowed far too many incompatible phones to connect to the network over the years. Perhaps it's their own fault for being an open network for so long, and now being forced to close the door. 

They really have no choice. It's either kick your phone off or be subject to FCC fines.  It's cheaper to lose a tiny handful of disgruntled customers than it is to deal with the FCC 

• 

9 Messages

1 year ago

The Galaxy S8 came out in 2017, it isn't even 5 years old. 

And I don't begrudge them having to kick me off.  I am bothered by their advertising only saying 3G was dropping, since I have a 4G phone, I never bothered to dig into it further, why would I? 

And then I am bothered by them giving me less than 30 days notice (I have been told the shutoff date is February 22). 

I do not think it is unreasonable to expect that either of those points should have been handled better.

ACE - Sage

• 

107.4K Messages

1 year ago

@dmw0472

Has nothing to do with age.

AT&T branded S4 mini is still compatible. 

The problem is your phone is not a tested and certified to work model, and voice calls use 3g.  

• 

9 Messages

1 year ago

I know it has nothing to do with age...  You brought up the "since 2015" I was refuting that.

ACE - Sage

• 

107.4K Messages

1 year ago

@dmw0472  you missed the entire point.

But fine, if you haven't purchased a phone from AT&T since 2017, you have no right to a free phone from AT&T 

FYI, AT&T's 3g and 4g is 3g 

4G/lte, lte, 5Ge, lte+ are  LTE.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.