AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
Get the myAT&T app
G

• 

40 Messages

Mon, Dec 20, 2021 6:32 PM

4G S8 to be disconnected with 3G shutdown - here is what you can do

If you own a Samsung S8 starting with model number G955U or G950U, and you have received a text/letter from AT&T saying they will disconnect you in February for using a 3G phone, take note.

FIRST: Your phone is 4G and should is supported. Samsung has confirmed this for me and showed me an AT&T web page that doubly confirms it (see https://www.att.com/device-support/article/wireless/KM1273778/Samsung/SamsungG955U/).

SECOND: AT&T is ignoring complaints about unilaterally disconnecting 4G phones under the guise of dropping 3G service. Some are speculating that AT&T is railroading you into upgrading your phone when it is not necessary.

THIRD: You should make your concerns heard by the following interested parties:

SAMSUNG: They should be concerned that AT&T is misinforming customers about Samsung product capabilities. Here is a shortcut to voicing your concern https://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact/?model=N0022597&topic=SYM0000442

FTC: Since AT&T is providing customers fraudulent information, telling the Federal Trade Commission about it will get a response. Visit https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/form/main?pid=B

FCC: Since AT&T rents the public airwaves, and since the FCC has many consumer protection rules, they too should be made aware at https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=39744

Be sure to note that (a) you have a 4G phone, (b) AT&T is incorrectly identifying it as 3G and (c) is preparing to kill your service in February (and maybe scaring you into upgrading).

Fl_retire

ACE - Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

9 months ago

When a phone is design and made to use 3G technology for calls and the carrier no longer has 3G capability for 3G calls since migration to HD voice/VoLTE It is impossible to make calls. It is the manufacturer’s responsibility to have the phone that is capable of making this type of call to be certified, not the carrier as in AT&T. 

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

9 months ago

@jdmairtinez @zigafide 

Please lay off the immaturity. Other posters are customers like yourselves. Only those with the "employee" tag work for AT&T, though posting on their personal time in a similar capacity to a normal customer. It is the officially branded "help" team and moderators that are posting on behalf of AT&T.

I got help on the forums years ago and as a result started participating in more and more discussions. Like some others, this has become a bit of a hobby or past time to hold conversations in the forum and occasionally help others like I was a long time ago. You may not like AT&T's handling of the 3G shutdown, which is fair and many of the posters you try to insult would agree. But please leave the immaturity at the door.

AT&T does not owe people new phones but chose to do so for some. Buying a phone from somewhere else is the risk of the consumer and their responsibility to be sure it works (currently and going forward). But there is never a guarantee that a phone will always work with a provider, even less certainty with one you got elsewhere. If a manufacturer didn't take a (supposedly) technically capable phone and not certify it, then that is unfortunate. At that point it is get a phone that is going to work with AT&T going forward or just go somewhere else. Though with the impending 3G shutdown across all the carriers, you may have to replace the phone anyway.

• 

5 Messages

9 months ago

@Juniper 

You can lay off the shilling. I don't care who any of you are or what you do with your spare time, especially if you're not even an AT&T employee. Kindly stfu and stop acting like you have any reason to speak to me. I'm sorry you feel like I insulted you and your little club, but I don't care. I am here to let this company know that I think they're garbage. This literally has nothing to do with you.

(edited)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

9 months ago

@jdmairtinez 

No shill here. You can lay off the insults and lies. You don't like AT&T, that's fine. But you can be an adult about it. This is a public forum so I may discuss in any thread I wish. And since you made false accusations against other ACEs, then yes that has something to do with me. That gives me proper reason, even though I don't need it.

• 

13 Messages

9 months ago

While I will not argue this point, it is--unfortunately--the way things are done here, and until that changes, thems the rules we have to play by.

Yep, played by that and ported to Verizon. Bye bye AT&T

Verizon already declared all S8 will be supported

• 

13 Messages

9 months ago

Though with the impending 3G shutdown across all the carriers, you may have to replace the phone anyway.

S8  , even unlocked, is supported by other carriers. So that "manufacturer did not build a phone that has technical capabilities " is a pure (Edited per community guidelines)

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

102.3K Messages

9 months ago

@dmw0472

I would also like to point out that carriers are legally required to allow unlocked phones to work on their networks. 

Incorrect! Where you got this notion baffles.  

And while I don't think what is happening here is ATT breaking the law

Again, no.  There is no law requiring At&t to allow incompatible devices.  Just the opposite.  The FCC requires phones be capable of e911 calls, which now means calls over LTE.  Not all phones can. 

(unlike some people on here), it is also factually incorrect to say that all of the burden for an unlocked phone functioning is on the consumer, as has been posited in recent comments.

It's on the phone... 

And either it works or doesn't.  

For years people have had to reprogram the APN settings, or initiate a sim card with an AT&T device in order to get a non AT&T phone working.  It is hardly a stretch of the imagination that if fiddling or tricking the network was required before to get these phones working, that they will not work at all now.  

Insisting that something that is factually true, is not true, is not going to change anything. 

If your phone no longer works on AT&T you either leave At&t for Carrier it will work on, or you replace the phone. 

AT&T doesn't care.  Their numbers are way up, their churn is way down. They are not going to miss a handful of people who didn't buy phones and have no loyalty to them in the first place

• 

13 Messages

9 months ago

The FCC requires phones be capable of e911 calls, which now means calls over LTE.  Not all phones can. 

IF an unlocked S8 does not have  the capability of VOLTE,   how come other carriers are saying it would work post 3G shutdown?

Something is definitely not right here

Fl_retire

ACE - Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

9 months ago

@krishmunn T-Mobile is letting everyone that uses 3G for voice communications needs to have devices that support VoLTE. Verizon is also doing the same with their 3G network. See links below. 

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/t-mobile-network-evolution

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-218813/

kevink

ACE - Scholar

• 

584 Messages

9 months ago

VoLTE wasn't part of the original LTE spec, and carriers have had some differences.  It looks like T-Mobile was a little more flexible with what they allowed, and ATT has been stricter and required certification by the handset companies.  iPhones made their phones more flexible with their OS, and handle differences in carrier bundles.  Some phones by companies like Samsung may download the branded version for different carriers, like ATT, but haven't registered all their IMEI's for other carriers models with ATT.  So ATT doesn't recognize that.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.