AT&T Holiday Deals & Gifts - Don't miss these holiday deals on the latest devices!
Get the myAT&T app
G

• 

40 Messages

Mon, Dec 20, 2021 6:32 PM

4G S8 to be disconnected with 3G shutdown - here is what you can do

If you own a Samsung S8 starting with model number G955U or G950U, and you have received a text/letter from AT&T saying they will disconnect you in February for using a 3G phone, take note.

FIRST: Your phone is 4G and should is supported. Samsung has confirmed this for me and showed me an AT&T web page that doubly confirms it (see https://www.att.com/device-support/article/wireless/KM1273778/Samsung/SamsungG955U/).

SECOND: AT&T is ignoring complaints about unilaterally disconnecting 4G phones under the guise of dropping 3G service. Some are speculating that AT&T is railroading you into upgrading your phone when it is not necessary.

THIRD: You should make your concerns heard by the following interested parties:

SAMSUNG: They should be concerned that AT&T is misinforming customers about Samsung product capabilities. Here is a shortcut to voicing your concern https://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact/?model=N0022597&topic=SYM0000442

FTC: Since AT&T is providing customers fraudulent information, telling the Federal Trade Commission about it will get a response. Visit https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/form/main?pid=B

FCC: Since AT&T rents the public airwaves, and since the FCC has many consumer protection rules, they too should be made aware at https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=39744

Be sure to note that (a) you have a 4G phone, (b) AT&T is incorrectly identifying it as 3G and (c) is preparing to kill your service in February (and maybe scaring you into upgrading).

• 

12 Messages

10 months ago

@dmw0472 "The issue is the VoLTE requirement which they did not advertise at all."
Absolutely correct. I had no idea what they were talking about when I called customer service and they told me about this "Voice LTE" I googled it to find out what it was and found that there was a simple switch in the settings that would activate it. I told them this and they still could not explain why my phone was flagged as not working. Then llater I found out it was something about the "Voice" being on the 3G Network which did not make a heap of sense either (Even if I was a dumb(Edited per community guidelines) and bought a foreign phone, there was no indication that its 3G, if in fact it was which I doubt).
The whole thing was a big mess and was communicated BADLY. That is the point!

(edited)

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

30.3K Messages

10 months ago

Just don't tell me I should have known by looking at a serial number in tiny print somewhere on the box.

When you don't buy a phone from the carrier you're using, you are accepting the responsibility to ensure the phone you buy will work.  If that means looking at the serial number, then yes, that would have been your responsibility.  No, that doesn't mean you'll know what serial numbers/IMEI will work, but that's the point.  Buying on your own entails some risk.  You took that risk, and the reward was great... until it wasn't.

• 

5 Messages

10 months ago

So they expect us to believe that only their branded versions of the S8+ can be updated to work on the 4g network? That is kind of outrageous. It's the same phone... Been trying to figure out if this is true all day. I can't find documentation anywhere that confirms only at&t branded S8+ phones are magical.

But ok, let's pretend this is true. You sent me your AT&T Calypso (u318aa) as a replacement for a Samsung Galaxy S8+ (G955U1)

Are you kidding me?

Why wasn't I provided something comparable? It seems like other people received at least upgraded Samsung phones. This is insulting.

Here's my solution to anyone suffering from this same problem.

1. Buy a new phone from anyone except AT&T
  2. Switch carriers immediately to anyone except AT&T
  3. Report AT&T to the appropriate authorities (see links below)

Federal Trade Commission

Federal Communications Commission

Edit: I understand that AT&T only updated their branded version of this phone to work on their network. This is the part I am upset about. The only possible reasons are laziness or greed. It's slimy, misleading, and just petty.

(edited)

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

30.3K Messages

10 months ago

I do not know why AT&T excludes the 8+ US unlocked model.  But they can, and they have.

Why is it AT&T's responsibility to replace the phone that you did not buy from them with what you consider to be an equivalent phone?  You can still buy another phone from someone else that is certified.  

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.5K Messages

10 months ago

You have a unlocked phone.  Samsung decided to not support it.  I really have no idea why either.   And technically its not the same phone it has a different model number.

• 

7 Messages

10 months ago

what benefit do you guys get from riding AT&Ts meat on these forums all day? they dont even pay you 💀

• 

5 Messages

10 months ago

what benefit do you guys get from riding AT&Ts meat on these forums all day? they dont even pay you 💀

They're either trolls or AT&T plants. Maybe they work for a 3rd party company that AT&T employs, don't really care. Ignore them because they're wrong and idiotic.

AT&T could have supported the unlocked S8+ and chose not too. Why? Samsung specs clearly show most models of the S8+ (including G955U1) are configured for the same bands as the AT&T branded models. Including 3 of the mains. I also checked which bands AT&T uses in my area specifically and they are all supported by the G955U1, just like the branded models. Learn to read. 

It's really simple. I don't like this behavior and I am taking my business elsewhere. The whole reason companies get away with these kinds of shady practices is because no one calls them out on it. This isn't even the worst kind of the questionable activities AT&T has been known to engage in. So excuse me for exorcising my rights and voicing my opinions. You corporate shills can get bent.

There was nothing wrong with my phone. It's in pristine condition and I don't want to replace it right now. Why am I being forced to upgrade when I don't need to? Could it be they're betting on the chance that I'll buy one of their phones to replace it? AT&T proved they could have made it work on their network and chose against the interests of their customers. Shill and spin as hard as you want losers. You're still wrong.

(edited)

• 

13 Messages

10 months ago

When you don't buy a phone from the carrier you're using,youare accepting the responsibility to ensure the phone you buy will work. 

And we ensured that it works , until AT&T decided otherwise.  

This whole concept of Carriers branding phone to work on their network is not common in most of the countries. The problem actually lies right there.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

30.3K Messages

10 months ago

This whole concept of Carriers branding phone to work on their network is not common in most of the countries. The problem actually lies right there.

While I will not argue this point, it is--unfortunately--the way things are done here, and until that changes, thems the rules we have to play by.

• 

9 Messages

10 months ago

I would also like to point out that carriers are legally required to allow unlocked phones to work on their networks.  And while I don't think what is happening here is ATT breaking the law (unlike some people on here), it is also factually incorrect to say that all of the burden for an unlocked phone functioning is on the consumer, as has been posited in recent comments.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.