Need your talk or text logs?
javid618's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, July 27th, 2012 6:52 AM

Will I use data when on wifi?

I need help, I am confused.  Att says that you use the smartphone at a wifi location you wont be charged data usage, here are my questions

1. can it be any wifi or does it have to be ATT provided wifi, I have charter wifi 

2. Are they saying i can use my phone for posting facebook status, watching youtube, surfing the web, and it not use any of my data plan IF connect to wifi?

3.  Do smartphones find wifi (let says you are traveling)

One thing i want to use it for is like mapquest, If i am lost i want to be able to look up directions (lets say I am in a wifi area) will this work.  ALSO, if I am NOT in a wifi area i can still look up directions but it will us data usage right?

Please break this down for me, you wont offend me if you "spell" it all out for me

ALSO, what is the difference really between other smartphones and iphone... Just wondering, i am looking to purchase one.  I am disabled and thought this would be a good thing to have.  thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

1. Any wifi anywhere, you might have to pay for wifi in some places separately like on a plane though. AT&T won't know about that though.
2. Yes, you can do anything that you can do with your data plan without using data.
3. I'm not sure what you mean. You go to settings > wireless and network > wifi settings and turn wifi on, then you can choose any network. If you mean does it show you where wifi is, then no, but you can use 3rd party apps that show free wifi hotspots.

To your other question, if you don't have wifi and you use any app that connects to the internet then you use data.

Your last question: iPhone is a simpler interface that has many limits on it but is good for people who don't need excessive features or customization. Android phones are slightly more complicated depending on the manufacturer, some are just as simple as an iPhone but some are very complicated. HTC is a good brand for simplicity and functionality. They both work for what they're supposed to do, but if you want to change a lot of settings and take the time to customize your phone then an HTC Android phone would be a good start.

Then you have blackberry, more of a work platform than anything. It was certainly not designed for gaming. It has servers that compress and save data and it's somewhat complicated last time I checked, but I haven't used blackberry recently so it might be better.

I don't have much experience with Windows phone but I think it's as simple as it gets but can take some getting used to.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this helps.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

THANK YOU! That answers my questions perfectly.  I guess all i need to do is go into a store and look at the smartphones and see which one ismore my style,  again thank you for taking your time to answer my questions!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I am new to this data thing. What is concidered usage? All I do is txt and call family. I use internet to start phone. And download att app. They say I used well over my 300 on what not sure help!!!

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I just learned form ATT that even when you're on Wifi - you are still using up data - unless you manually turn off the data under settings. I am livid angry over this. I've had the phone for years and was always told that while on wifi - there was no data being used. Stephanie fron ATT says differant. Which makes sense why my data was over when it's used 90 percent of the time in my home. Ugh!

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@DMPL wrote:

I just learned form ATT that even when you're on Wifi - you are still using up data - unless you manually turn off the data under settings. I am livid angry over this. I've had the phone for years and was always told that while on wifi - there was no data being used. Stephanie fron ATT says differant. Which makes sense why my data was over when it's used 90 percent of the time in my home. Ugh!

No, the phone will autoswitch to cellular if it goe to hibernation or you move into an area that has limited wifi connectivity

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@DMPL wrote:

Perhaps you misunderstood. Generally, when you are on wifi, your phone does not use cellular data. However, there may be some apps that use cellular data whether you are on wifi or not. Visual voice mail on an iPhone is such an app. Also, most phones will turn wifi off when in sleep mode so any apps (like Facebook) still using data will switch to cellular data. Then there is also the possibility your phone loses its wifi connection. If that happens, the phone automatically switches to cellular data.  What the rep was probably trying to say is the only way to guarantee your phone doesn't use cellular data is to turn cellular data off. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

AT&T website states:

"Does Wi-Fi usage count toward my usage?

If you access the Internet through your Wi-Fi home network using any type of device (including Smartphones), that access will be included.
However, if you access the Internet via a public or commercial Wi-Fi hotspot,
that access is not a counted toward your usage."

I was really disappointed when I read that.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Manuel Labor wrote:

AT&T website states:

"Does Wi-Fi usage count toward my usage?

If you access the Internet through your Wi-Fi home network using any type of device (including Smartphones), that access will be included.
However, if you access the Internet via a public or commercial Wi-Fi hotspot,
that access is not a counted toward your usage."

I was really disappointed when I read that.

they are speaking of the usage on your home internet connection not the phone. The majority of home internet providers also enforce caps on monthly usage

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

The thing to keep in mind for data usage, is that it's coming from somewhere. AT&T cellular services, your home internet, ect.

Wifi essentially, allows you to share you internet with other nearby devices.

So what that answer means, is that whatever gets used via your WiFi, will still count as data towards the original source, ie your home internet typically.

Yes, your usage counts, (towards your home internet)

-Alex

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

10 years ago

Alex, are you saying when I use my internet it counts towards my cell phone usage? I sure hope not.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.