Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Need your talk or text logs?
sctanos's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Nov 2, 2015 4:20 AM

Why is there a limit of only 10 recipients when sending a group text?

What is AT&T's plan to resolving the recipient limit for text messaging? Other providers have no issues with the size of the recipient group, so why is it that only AT&T has this issue?  A response to another posting asking this same questions was told "Since group messages utilizes MMS, even if a picture/audio/video is not attached; this is a network limitation of multimedia messaging.  Alternatively I can suggest trying a third party messaging platform which poses no limitations on the amount of users or media sent." This response came ATTMobilityCare.  With ATT as my provider, there is a resonable expectation that AT&T can provide a more qualified response than what was given.  Is there a technical service number I can call or email to find out if this issue is trying to be resolved?  I would like to get an official response to my question as would others it would seem based on the number of posts I saw about this issue.  Especially since the individual who reponded under the ATTMobilityCare banner provided this tag at the end of their response -  "I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions."  With a tag line like that - why bother to respond?  If someone from AT&T reads this, please contact me with the information I requested and/or forward it to the appropriate party. 

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

7年前

It is due to congestion on the network. Same reason they cap data. When you decide to send a group message you see it all on your phone screen in front of you. What you don't see is that all those messages being sent and recieved are being hosted on a sever somewhere else.

Your phone is just a device that can display information. More complicated tasks are happening instantaneously else where. AT&T has millions of customers so caping the amount of people is them keeping their network less congested.

The reason other services can work is because their servers can handle it since they are not as big.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7年前

I appreciate your attempt at explaining away the issue, but it doesn't provide solid technical reasoning. Why is it other carriers have this capability and their users do not suffer from network congestion. If they have this feature and don't suffer from network congestion - what is it that they are doing right that AT&T isn't? 

One could surmise if other users from the other providers were suffering from network congestion - they'd be complaining and leaving in droves. I don't hear about it nor see it happening. I have friends on other carriers and they don't complain of congestion issues. I have been a customer of other carriers and while I am now with AT&T - it wasn't network congestion that made us leave. While this feature is lacking from AT&T it won't make me leave. It is a feature improvement that is long over due and from my research on it from the internet there seems to be a large number of folks wanting this as well.  

If anything, your attempt to explain now has me wondering if AT&T has the best network?  We have all seen the AT&T commercials where they are touting all the network upgrades they have made to make them the best above the other carriers.  If it is a question of server sizing - you would think the engineering teams would work to remediate any potential congestion issues.

Is there anyone from AT&T Network engineering monitoring these forums that can weigh in? How can I get some interaction from someone on the AT&T technical side to get a better understanding around the points that were made in response to my post and get a response once and for all that AT&T will stand behind. One would think if something official would be put out - that the answer would be in a FAQ once and for all.  Thank you!

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

7年前

When I said services I meant apps like skype that have their own independent resources. There isn't a congestion issue with AT&T. It is a preventive measure. That is my best guess.

I hope you find your technical answer. AT&T has people on the forums but it doesn't guarantee a response unfortunately.

ACE - Sage

• 

100K Messages

7年前

This question has been asked many, many times.  

This is a customer forum and all you will get is another politic answer from an ATT employee on a public forum.  

No way are they going to explain away a company policy.  And they are not going to promise a service unless ATT actually has the intention to provide it.

The simple answer is they don't have to, it's the current policy,  this is cheaper and ATT is watching the bottom line.

kngfdny

Mentor

• 

22 Messages

7年前

It's true.  Looks like AT&T will not change this policy.  I recommend switching to Verizon if you need to group message with more than 10 people.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

7年前

and if you need more than 20 your out of luck.  As VZW has a limit of 20.

kngfdny

Mentor

• 

22 Messages

7年前

No problem.  I can function with 20.  10 is just too low.  Especially since most people are using Verizon, and will also have the same limitation.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.