Need your talk or text logs?
WOMracing's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, September 15th, 2015 3:20 AM

Why is my maximum group text limit only 10 recipients?

When is AT&T going to fix the problem of having a limit of only being able to send a group text to 10 recipients?  No other carrier has a limit on the amount of recipients that can be sent a group text except AT&T.  When are they going to fix this huge problem that they constantly seem to ignore and not give a real answer too? 

I have been with AT&T for over 22 years and their cell service is great, but their customer service is the worst, and their in store service is just as bad.  The question I asked above has been a constant problem that people have complained about for a while now and they never do anything about it.  Just watch how they answer the question above, if they even respond to it at all.   I guarantee you they will dance around it or use some lame excuse like it's an Iphone problem.  Well I don't have an Iphone, I have a new Samsung S6 Impact and I know other people who have the same phone as me but with Verizon and they have no problem sending group text messages with no limit on the amount of recipients they choose to send them too.  

Why is there a limit of only 10 recipients when sending a group text?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I absolutely hate this issue too! I find it very hard to believe that the ATT system can't handle this. It really make me question this company. No other wireless company has this restriction. I am very disappointed in ATT and I am going to look at others carriers since they can't fix this issue. 

Mentor

• 

22 Messages

7 years ago

I left AT&T because of this issue.  However, there is an inconvenient work around.  You can get a Google Voice number, and then use Hangouts for texting with your Google Voice number on your AT&T phone.

A more convenient workout around would be to port your primary number to Google Voice, but you'd have to talk with an AT&T rep to see if there is a way to port your number without cancelling your service.  AT&T would then have to give you a new phone number.

Essentially, you will have two phone numbers on your phone.

You will have to use Hangouts as your default SMS/MMS.  There are many additional features with Google Voice such as call screening, visual voicemail, and calling and texting from your PC...to name a few.

I orginally left AT&T for Project Fi.  Due to coverage, I had to switch to Verizon.  However, I ported my primary phone number to Google Voice, and had Verizon issue me a new number.  I now use Google Voice as my primary number with my Verizon service.  Even though I can group message more than 10 people on Verizon, I like the idea of having the freedom to jump to any carrier and not have to worry about some crazy group messaging recipient cap,

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Gmestas2000 All carriers have a group messaging limit of some type. AT&T just happens to be lower. I bet I could find a thread on the Verizon forums where people are unhappy with the 20 person limit they impose...

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/817603

Didn't take long. It's an arbitrary limit, I understand. But this is a policy that has been in place for a long time and I am merely trying to set expectations in this regard. These rarely change, if ever.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

This does not help my situation at all. If other carriers have a limit, its better than ATT's limit of 10. I would gladly take a limit of 20 over 10 any day!!

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

As I said, this limit will probably never change. I understand it's frustrating but there really is no way to correct or change this unless the carrier decides to change the limit.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

See that's the thing, you DON'T understand that it's frustrating.

You sit there and say that it's an arbitrary limit and that we have to live with it, meanwhile posting links to a competitor's thread regarding someone "complaining" about a 20 person limit. That thread has NOTHING to do with what we're talking about here, 20 recipients is a whole lot higher than 10 and would make a whole lot of lives easier if you guys aligned with at least that.

Reading through that thread that you claim they're unhappy with the 20 person limit, it reads as just someone asking for a request. I also see VZW reps on the thread apologizing for inconveniences. No where on that thread do I see an employee telling their own customers that they ostensibly just have to "live with it", which is what we're all surmising with your posts.

At the very least one thing we can glean from this thread, that AT&T needs to figure out a better way to communicate with customers. I hope we can get an increase in this recipient limit to at least align with competitors, because it is a bit of a hassle to not be able to easily contact all 15 people in my work area.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

AT&T does need to fix this. I was made aware of this from my son, who is part of a group that has about 30 kids that coordinate between each other. I agree with those who are involved with business and sports that need to communicate in larger scale. AT&T cannot handle more than 10 in a group for texting? Doesn't sound like a communications company. Very disappointing to see so many complaints spanning years and it not being addressed. Come on executives do your job and listen and address common sense complaints from your customers.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

It's amusing to me that this post is listed as "solved" - recently acquired AT&T and quickly ran in to this issue as we have a large family that gets together often. I previously had StraightTalk service (with an AT&T sim!!!!) and did not have an issue responding to group texts larger than ten people. (I should add that I was not able to start a group message with more than ten) I'd at least like to be able to at least respond to a group text that was sent to me! Luckily we are still within our 14 day window and I'll be researching other wireless service to switch to.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

GroupMe works on AT&T and doesn't have that limit. Your friends can use the app or not. It goes to their mobile #.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

If your customers say it's a problem that's needs to be fixed, then it needs to be fixed. End of story. I just switched to att and had no idea of this ridiculous "rule". Oh how I miss my Verizon already.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.