Need your talk or text logs?
0214Fl's profile

Traveler

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, March 14th, 2015 8:40 PM

Closed

Why can't I tether with my Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan?

Today, I called AT&T to setup a personal hotspot on my iphone. AT&T said I had to get an LIMITED DATA plan. I could not use the UNLIMITED DATA plan I had signed up with. I was told AT&T does not grandfather unlimited data for personal hotspots on my iphone. I asked for an email regarding AT&T not honoring UNLIMITED DATA plans. I have not recieved the email. It is not fair AT&T will not honor what I signed up for with them. What can I do to make AT&T honor their contract with for UNLIMITED DATA?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

I'm trying to recall:

It was either said in the Apple iPhone/iOS Keynote when Apple announced tethering or AT&T acknowleded they would have tethering (in the days or few weeks following).  Unlimited data was still available at the time from AT&T.

This was when I purchased my iPhone: with unimited data and the understanding that I'd be able to tether. But by the time the enabled tethering they then announced it wouldn't be on those plans (months later if I recall, but the keynote was months before that version of iOS came out so I can't remember).

Gary

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

8 years ago

Your memory is pretty much spot on.  The ability to tether was included in the specs, I didn't see it in the keynote.

When the phones were available for pre order, tethering was out for unlimited data plans and tiered data plans were in.

Verizon allowed people to add tethering to a line for $30, considering unlimited was $30 and data was still pretty cheap, this was a huge bill.  Yet some paid it, and still have it on Verizon, only they pay $80 since the $20 price hike.  I should add that to keep their unlimited data Verizon customers had to buy phones at full price for the last 5 years, while ATT allowed discounted upgrades.

I started at Verizon, which didn't get the iPhone until the iPhone 4.  Tethering had been a small add on feature with limited plans and forbidden on unlimited unless you paid for it.  Jailbreaking was all the rage back then, 3rd party apps, you name it.....anything to tether when you weren't allowed.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Tethering was simply touted as a capability of the iPhone. It was Apple who discussed it during the keynote. However that doesn't equal automatically being available on every plan. If I remember correctly the only real mention was that Cingular would be the carrier partner and that was basically it. It has been and was available on what was called DataPRO packages. The enterprise oriented data plans. It was geared towards CRU and the business segment of customers.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

8 years ago

@David606

.....as you know, like children in the checkout line, throwing a hissy for candy, if it exists, there are those who believe they are entitled to un restricted use.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

It isn't about that just about misinformation on how it works. Adding another seat to the table means the data doesn't end at the device. Plain and simple. That is outside the terms of the plan. It will probably never ever change.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

Wasn't Cingular mobile branding gone by then? Then being when it was announced for iPhone.

(Looks like Cingular made the transition back to the AT&T name in 2007)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Wireless_Services#Acquisition_by_Cingular

This was what got me to switch to AT&T, having the iPhone, which now had decent speeds and a much better camera.

I understand it doesn't mean it's on every plan, but  just took AT&T months to finally "release it" (turn it on) for iPhone and then they announced it wouldn't be availble for people with the unlimited plan.

Gary

Scholar

• 

111 Messages

8 years ago

Tethering has never been allowed with unlimited data in the past. If AT&T ever woke up and allowed it they would rule the world if you know what I mean...

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

8 years ago

Why is it you give an inch, and some people want the whole darn yard?

Each person at an all-you-can-eat buffet has to pay, no doggy bags.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

You can now get unlimited data again with AT&T if you have 2 things. A postpaid wireless account and a active DirecTV and/or Uverse TV account with the same billing address. You can have two postpaid accounts for one DirecTV and/or Uverse TV with the same billing address.

The plan is $60 per account then $40 for each smartphone or tablet. $25 for a basic device and $10 for a smart watch. Not included are:Hotspot devices or other device AT&T offers. Tethering is not included in this plan. You may get throttled after 22 GB for each device if you are in a network congested area. Only 10 lines for each account.

*Note: Check your plan and price. You can get directv for as low as $16.99 (bare minimum) and then you qualify for unlimited. No tethering..but you can have a 2nd group on Mobile Share. If you have Directv.......call AT&T.

Please use your MYAT&T app to make the change.

Scholar

• 

111 Messages

8 years ago

22 g and no tethering NO thank you... Not a good deal at all...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.