dorlow
20th Community Anniversary
#1 Star!
The 5th element!

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

Tuesday, July 5th, 2022 8:14 PM

What happens if I stream from Netflix using a first responder's unlimited hotspot?

Ok, so hypothetically speaking.  We just signed up for at&t.  Where we moved, there is no option for high speed internet other than satellite and 4g.  I have a netgear 4g modem.  (I might use the at&t provided 4g hotspot instead.)  I'd like to hook it up to my home router so our whole house has internet.  I can put restrictions on it to stop my kids from using netflix, hulu, etc... But, what happens if one of my kids figures out a way around it and starts streaming something I didn't think to catch?  Is it a 3 strikes your out, one strike your out, or what?

dorlow

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

7 months ago

So, we just got back from the at&t store.  Talked to a different person this time about the unlimited hotspot.  He said what we heard was correct, but he signed us up for the business plan instead.   The SIM card he put in the hotspot says FirstNet.  He says because he signed me up for the business plan instead, it's unlimited... no 50 GB limit or whatever and no restrictions on what I can or cannot do on the hotspot.  So, I guess a win for me.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

61.9K Messages

7 months ago

Hope that’s true but I’m skeptical. I’m pretty sure ATT does not offer unlimited data for a hotspot device, business or consumer. 

dorlow

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

7 months ago

we'll find out!  I'll test it to the limit!  Just found out that our area has fiber.  I knew they were installing it.  I didn't think they got the fiber down our road yet.  (We just moved in.)  But, they said there's about a 2 month waiting list to get it installed to the house.  So, in a few months, this will all be a memory.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

19.6K Messages

7 months ago

@dorlow  AT&T Corporate Store or an AT&T Authorized Retail Store? Makes a big difference in what you are told and what will actually happen. As far as fiber installation at your residence, I hope it's only a few months away.

dorlow

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

7 months ago

So, check this out.  Since we got it Saturday, we've used 87 GB.  Hasn't slowed down yet.  Still getting about the 15 Mb/s down and up speed.

ACE - Sage

• 

103.9K Messages

7 months ago

@sandblaster

While AT&T does not say anything publicly, it is common knowledge among business customers with AT&T that you can indeed get an unlimited dedicated hotspot device and service on a business plan.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.