Need your talk or text logs?
dorlow's profile

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

Tuesday, July 5th, 2022 8:14 PM

What happens if I stream from Netflix using a first responder's unlimited hotspot?

Ok, so hypothetically speaking.  We just signed up for at&t.  Where we moved, there is no option for high speed internet other than satellite and 4g.  I have a netgear 4g modem.  (I might use the at&t provided 4g hotspot instead.)  I'd like to hook it up to my home router so our whole house has internet.  I can put restrictions on it to stop my kids from using netflix, hulu, etc... But, what happens if one of my kids figures out a way around it and starts streaming something I didn't think to catch?  Is it a 3 strikes your out, one strike your out, or what?

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

AT&T won’t pay off your phones or any Verizon bill

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

2 years ago

Unless you see it on the AT&T website, offers made in a store may or may not be valid...especially if it's an Authorized Retailer.  They've been known to offer you anything to get a sale.

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

2 years ago

I wasn't expecting at&t to pay off my Verizon bill or phone.  If there's no data limits, it will save us money so we switched based on what the at&t rep told us.  If we can't get that deal, then we switched and paid for new phones for nothing and it was a waste.  

Originally, when I went into the store, all I wanted was a Hotspot device.  But, they said I couldn't purchase a Hotspot without having a phone also with at&t.  So, then I had my wife come to the store seeing she's the first responder and we switched over everything based on what they told us.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

Sounds like an authorized retailer to me. 

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

2 years ago

No, it wasn't an authorized retailer.  It was an AT&T store.  Here's the store info.

618 James M Campbell Blvd S, Columbia, TN 38401

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

The only way to really determine if it's an Authorized Reseller or a Corporate Store is to either go into the store and ask them or call them. Both stores look exactly the same inside and outside,  only the Reseller is independently owned and operated separate from AT&T and, as mentioned above, some will say just about anything to make a sale. They are not staffed with AT&T employees. AT&T will only honor what is listed on their website so it pays to take the extra time and determine what kind of store it is.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

2 years ago

But, they said I couldn't purchase a Hotspot without having a phone also with at&t.

Authorized retailer or not, that’s not true. There is no requirement to have a phone with ATT to buy a hotspot device.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

2 years ago

With all the erroneous information given to the OP, it sure sounds like it is (most likely) an Authorized Retailer.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

2 years ago

618 James M Campbell Blvd S, Columbia, TN 38401, Is a corporate store location. Authorized retailers are marked both on the website, and on the physical storefront.   It is more difficult, but it is still possible to determine which is a corporate from an authorized retailer.

The firstnet plan does offer all types of devices including tablets, smart watches, and dedicated hotspot devices with unlimited data.  (as do business plans) 

And yes they can determine what is 'streaming' and prevent that type of data. 

Firstnet is a government subsidized plan. Not all devices are subsidized or cost the same as they would on AT&T postpaid service. (For example  Smartwatch lines are $25 on firstnet, AT&T only charges $10)

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

@formerlyknownas  Not all Authorized AT&T Retail Stores have outside signage that indicates that, at least not in our area. If it was a Corporate Store was "sold" to a Reseller, some of them are very slow at adding Authorized to their outside signage, and, again at least in our area, the AT&T website is not always accurate as to which stores are Corporate or Retail. That's why I always suggest either visiting the store to ask or call them and ask.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.