Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!
Gunnersdai

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wed, Sep 10, 2014 7:41 PM

Visual voicemail

My sister says that there is a way to uninstall/turn off visual voicemail so I don't have to pay the extra $40 a month that I CANNOT afford! I do not use the VVM anyway!!!
If someone could please tell me how to do this I would appreciate it!!!
Thanks!!!

Responses

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

4 years ago

Jdeaston you have a base plan charge, that had your minutes, text and such and a per line charge. The line charge is the same with or without visual voicemail.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.5K Messages

4 years ago

@JDEaston wrote:
I am also very confused on why I pay the extra charge for each line for access for iPhone with vvm. Now I get what you are saying about purchasing a phone and the color is free but that is not what is showing up on my bill or was communicated. I pay a monthly phone purchase charge but then there is an additional charge for the access for iPhone, now if this is included as you say then why is there a separate charge this should all show up with my iPhone monthly purchase charge not separate and is not what I agreed to when initially speaking with the at&t rep. I already pay for the family plan, so I'm just confused what this extra charge is?

@JDEaston

Your bill is ala carte.  

1.  You pay for a shared data plan

2.  Each device has a line access fee based on what it is.  Tablets have a $10 line fee, so to smart watches.  Phones have a $40 line fee on the family Share and Mobile Share Value plan.  This give the device access to the network and the shared data plan and included features, like VVM, data, talk and text.  

3. You may have a phone installment if you are buying a phone

4. Uncle Sam takes his chunk of tax and fees.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Mobile Share Value 6GB with Rollover Data $70.00

Access for Smartphone 4G LTE w/ VVM $40.00

I have read through the comments and answers and I don't think there is an issue with how people are looking at this.  I think the $40 is crazy also.  I think I've been with ATT myself for 20 years but look at it like this.  It's like going to buy a vehicle and then paying extra for the key or the right to turn it on.  This is how I feel the Q and A is going?  Customer: "Why are we being charged an extra $40 dollars." Customer service:  "You're not paying for VVM it's part of the plan."  This is how I'm seeing it using the vehicle analogy.  We are all paying for various plans with data, so why do we need to pay another $40 for access to the lines of communication?  We just paid for x amount of data over those lines.  Now we have to pay to access our own data.  That's like saying we pay taxes to build public roads and then have to pay again to use them.  Or like with the vehicle, I go buy a vehicle and I can set it in my driveway, but every time I go to drive it I have to pay the car company again to turn it on.  Sorry to beat a dead horse but the frustration I think is across the board.

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

That's exactly why AT&T is losing so many customers. There are actual
several reasons. First and foremost is that their customer service is
HORRIBLE. Every time I've needed customer service for anything it takes
hours on the phone, not minutes, hours to get it resolved. Their billing is
super complicated to understand, and they do this on purpose to make it
complicated to figure out all those ridiculous fees, including the VVM.
Every time you call customer service you get a didn't answer. I've been a
customer for years but will be changing very soon.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Thinblueline

@whiprush3

The $40 line fee is the contract price.  It means you are paying for a phone, wrapped up with your service.  Once your contract expires, your line fee can be reduced.  

Sprint charges $45 line fee if you choose a contract.  Verizon line fee if your in a contract is $40.  T-mobile has not offered contracts in almost 4 years.  

You can complain all you want, but you will have to pay for your phone one way or another.  

@whiprush3  

Your analogy doesn't work.   The $40 line fee is for service and equipment combined.  A more correct analogy with a car, if you like, is your monthly car payment is for the purchase of the car and the gas to make it run.    That's your bundled price.  

FYI....  since the first days with big bar phones there has always been a line fee.  

Once smartphones came about, a data plan was an additional fee.  One way or another you will pay for all 3.  Ala'carte is cheaper.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

There are other service providers that have comparable service that don't
have those fees.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

4 years ago

No there is not. Verizon and att are the top 2 in coverage period. Sprint and tmo do charge a per line fee just look at tmobiles 1 plan

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

Not sure where you get your info but yes there is. There are a couple of
other providers that use those same cell towers, so coverage is the same.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Thinblueline wrote:
There are other service providers that have comparable service that don't
have those fees.

Name one .... Not if you have a contract to pay for the phone too.    ATT current plan does not allow contracts any more, and has a lower line fee.  This is because phones must be purchased separately.  

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.5K Messages

4 years ago

Everyone's favorite number one, consumer cellular...

https://www.consumercellular.com/Plans   Ala'carte plan, talk is one fee, data and Text is another.   

For me to pick a comparable plan to my existing one would cost me more than I pay now with ATT.   

The prices don't include a phone. 

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

4 years ago

Prepaid does not count ... Well let's lay it out using the same towers does not mean same coverage either since it only includes att owned towers not leased. You also lose features like wifi calling and volte.

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

If ATT didn't have such crappy service you wouldn't need wifi calling in
the first place.
But regardless, why does prepaid not count? Many people are switching to
prepaid and getting the same coverage for much cheaper. No data overage
charges either. Yes, they reduce your speed after you reach your limit, but
at least your not charged additional fees like the contract services charge
when your reach their limits. And you have to buy your phone no matter who
you use now. It's not like ATT or anyone else are giving phones with new
contracts anymore.

##- Please type your reply above this line -#
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

4 years ago

Try moving a family plan to prepaid.... Single user maybe. By the way wifi calling works well inside buildings that have poor signal from any carrier. I also can't stomach the 8mbit cap that most prepaid has.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@Thinblueline wrote:
If ATT didn't have such crappy service you wouldn't need wifi calling in
the first place.

That's REALLY not why WiFi calling was created.  

Many people are switching to
prepaid and getting the same coverage for much cheaper. No data overage
charges either. Yes, they reduce your speed after you reach your limit, but
at least your not charged additional fees like the contract services charge
when your reach their limits.

The current Mobile Share Advantage plans work the same way. 

That's exactly why AT&T is losing so many customers. There are actual
several reasons. First and foremost is that their customer service is
HORRIBLE.

So EXACTLY, but really something else other than the exactly?

Every time I've needed customer service for anything it takes
hours on the phone, not minutes, hours to get it resolved. Their billing is
super complicated to understand, and they do this on purpose to make it
complicated to figure out all those ridiculous fees, including the VVM.

There is NO fee for VVM!

Billing really isn't any more complicated than my elecrical bill / gas bill.

It's a lot less complicated then before, before they had line, plan, data, texting now it's just plan and line.

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@whiprush3 wrote:
I have read through the comments and answers and I don't think there is an issue with how people are looking at this.  I think the $40 is crazy also.  
First off, it's only $40 if you still have a contract phone that you moved over to a  plan. You're really only paying $15 or $25 (depending on the plan size). Now it's $20 for mobile share advantage plans.

Mobile Share Value 6GB with Rollover Data $70.00
Access for Smartphone 4G LTE w/ VVM $40.00
For one thing, you're paying WAY to much for that old plan. You should be paying $60+$20 is the current price.  https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 5.37.55 AM.pngfrom https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

RIght here, let's make a small comment on the fact that they do lower plan costs! Wow! (You're welcome!)

So forget the fee, lets just say AT&T wants to charge you $80 for that plan. Would it make you happier to just see it as an $80 lump sum? So it's $80 for the plan and line rolled into one line item.  

So what do they charge for a second line in that scenerio? Another $80?  

Then another $80 for the next line.

That would make NO sense (no cents!).

Instead, they break it down to $60 and $20 and let you add a bunch more lines for $20 a pop. They could just make it a fixed price and say it's $80 for 1 line and $100 for 2 lines and $120 for 3 lines, but that gets old quick. Imagine the page where you'd look that up since it'd need to have that detail for all the plan sizes. (They probably built such a crazy table and then simplified it).

This is not completely unheard of, we see similar pricing all the time:

• This is more like Cable TV, it's $60 for the cable and $20 per set. It's not $80 PER TV!
  • When you rent an apartment, it's not double the price for an extra bedroom. (it's not as fixed as a fee but you get the idea).

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.

Get started...

Ask a new question