Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Gunnersdai

Tutor

 • 

5 Messages

Wed, Sep 10, 2014 7:41 PM

Visual voicemail

My sister says that there is a way to uninstall/turn off visual voicemail so I don't have to pay the extra $40 a month that I CANNOT afford! I do not use the VVM anyway!!!
If someone could please tell me how to do this I would appreciate it!!!
Thanks!!!

Responses

Contributor

 • 

1 Message

4 years ago

The $40 per line charge in addition to the plan is ridiculous. I'm shopping around now, I've been with AT&T since 1996 but enough is enough.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago


@mrsklp528 wrote:
The $40 per line charge in addition to the plan is ridiculous. I'm shopping around now, I've been with AT&T since 1996 but enough is enough.

It's not $40 a line unless it is including the cost of a phone.

 

(Or if it's an unlimited plan, which is more because it's unlimited).

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
GeekBoy

Master

 • 

4.1K Messages

4 years ago


@Gary L wrote:

@mrsklp528 wrote:
The $40 per line charge in addition to the plan is ridiculous. I'm shopping around now, I've been with AT&T since 1996 but enough is enough.

It's not $40 a line unless it is including the cost of a phone.

 

(Or if it's an unlimited plan, which is more because it's unlimited).

 

 


But if they include th details that they are getting a $15 or $25 discountfor being out of contract (unless it's unlimited data), it doesn't support their argument that they are being overcharged, and it makes it harder for them to "justify" being upset at AT&T.


Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--


Mentor

 • 

31 Messages

4 years ago

Then what is it for??
Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago


@Thinblueline wrote:
Then what is it for??

Which "it" are you asking about...?

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

 • 

2 Messages

4 years ago

The "Unlimited" plan is $60/month (Which is $100 less than the 15GB/month)

Sounds good, right?  

 

But no, wait...

 

I will have to pay an additional $40/per phone, instead of the previous $15/phone (which included a $25 discount)

 

PLUS the cost of the ATT NEXT installment plan charge per phone

PLUS surcharges & fees

PLUS government fees & taxes

 

Ends up costing SOOO much more - I am another long time customer looking for incentives to stay around but not finding much...

Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago


@lizfam wrote:

The "Unlimited" plan is $60/month (Which is $100 less than the 15GB/month)

Sounds good, right?  

 

But no, wait...

 

I will have to pay an additional $40/per phone, instead of the previous $15/phone (which included a $25 discount)

 

PLUS the cost of the ATT NEXT installment plan charge per phone

PLUS surcharges & fees

PLUS government fees & taxes

 

Ends up costing SOOO much more - I am another long time customer looking for incentives to stay around but not finding much...


No, the unlimited plan doesn't sound good.

 

If you're still on the 15GB plan for $160 you need a newer plan!

 

Yes, you do pay more per line for UNLIMITED. Should it be cheaper for unlimited?

 

I've always heard unlimited priced at $100 for the first line and $40 for addtional lines. Not $60+$40 even though I'm confident it's billed that way.

 

It's not an additional $40, it's just $40 per line

 

Althought you left out the most expensive part: You need to have DirectTV.

 

All the plans (and carriers) have all the PLUS items that you listed. No matter which plan you have, you have to pay for the phone, it's your choice how expensive of a phone you get. You're just confusing the whole deal with all those lines that apply to pretty much everywhere.

 

 

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

 • 

2 Messages

4 years ago

 @garylapoint

I really confused the issue with my this:

 

The "Unlimited" plan is $60/month (Which is $100 less than the 15GB/month)

 

I SHOULD have written

 

The "Unlimited" plan is $60/month (I have the 15GB plan which is $100, making the Unlimited Plan less than the 15GB/month)

 

SORRY!  Just feeling frustrated....

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

 • 

43.3K Messages

4 years ago


@Gary L wrote:

If you're still on the 15GB plan for $160 you need a newer plan!

 

 

 


Why do you say that? I'm still on the 15GB plan and pay $160 for 4 lines. Changing to one of the newer plans makes no sense for me. For the same $160, I would only get 10GB of data and the 16GB plan costs me $10 more. Since I've never had an overage, switching to a new plan makes no sense for me. Lizfam may have a similar situation.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago


@sandblaster wrote:

@Gary L wrote:

If you're still on the 15GB plan for $160 you need a newer plan!


Why do you say that? I'm still on the 15GB plan and pay $160 for 4 lines. Changing to one of the newer plans makes no sense for me. For the same $160, I would only get 10GB of data and the 16GB plan costs me $10 more. Since I've never had an overage, switching to a new plan makes no sense for me. Lizfam may have a similar situation.


I said that specifically because of what they said:

They compared the $60 unlimited (with no lines) and said it was $100 less than their $160 15GB plan. So it seemed like an old plan $160 15GB plus line fees, I couldn't know they we comparing apples (plan with no line) to oranges (plan with 4 lines).

 

They've since come back and clarified that they were on a $100 15GB plan.

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago


@lizfam wrote:

 

The "Unlimited" plan is $60/month (I have the 15GB plan which is $100, making the Unlimited Plan less than the 15GB/month)

 


I guess you can word it that way, but since $60 isn't getting you anything without paying the extra $40, it's not super relevant. You make it seem like a $40 difference when it's really $15.  Actually for 1-4 lines the difference is generally only $10-$20 and swings both ways.

 

Here's the math:

  • Unlimited 1 line is $100, 15GB 1 line is $115 and UNL is cheaper.
  • Unlimited 2 lines is $140, 15GB 2 lines is $130 and UNL is cheaper.
  • Unlimited 3 lines is $180, 15GB 3 lines is $145 and 15GB is cheaper.
  • Unlimited 4 lines is $180, 15GB 4 lines is $160 and 15GB is cheaper.

If you use less than 15GB, the savings matters.

Plus, you can tether with the mobile share plans.

 

And you need DirectTV for the unlimited plan, that's a lot more cost if you don't want it.

 

If you get a FAN discount it counts against the $60 for the Unlimited but against the $100 for the 15GB. If you get a 20% discount, that's an extra $8 a month savings on the 15GB plan.

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

 • 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Just got off the phone with someone from Venezuela or somewhere like it.
They told me it's not something we are paying for, it's 'included'.....I asked, if it's included, why does it show up as a 15.00 dollar a month charge?
If it's included, there should not be a charge.
Let me put it another way.
I go to Outback and I order a steak....the waiter says " would you like garlic mashed potatoes with that? I ask...."is it included"?.....waiter says "no...it's 2.50 more"....then I say "no thanks"....and my check shows a charge just for the steak...
Included means no charge.....paying more means paying more, not included....
Shape up AT&T.....
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

 • 

43.3K Messages

4 years ago

@WallyGibby Did you not bother to read this thread? Once again, the charge is not for visual voice mail, the charge is for unlimited talk and text for that line. The visual voice mail is included along with the unlimited talk and text.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

 • 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago


@WallyGibby wrote:

I go to Outback and I order a steak....the waiter says " would you like garlic mashed potatoes with that? I ask...."is it included"?.....waiter says "no...it's 2.50 more"....then I say "no thanks"....and my check shows a charge just for the steak...
Shape up AT&T.....

It's more like buying an iPhone.  They receipt says "iPhone 7 32GB Space Grey $649", it's not the Space Grey that's $649, it's the phone, the color is free, it's just so you get the correct color.

 

Your AT&T bill says "Access for iPhone 4G LTE w/ Visual Voicemail" so they know what kind of line to activate for you, you want your line to have visual voicemail, right?

 

You pay a monthly fee for each line, the voicemail is included, just like the color.  This fee varies per plan, somthing like: $10 old minute plans, $15 or $25 [before discount if you own a phone or are paying on Next] for old mobile share plans [$40 for mobile share if you still have a phone on contract and don't get a discount] (the whole old contract discount thing is very poorly worded), $20 for current Mobile Share Advantage plans, $40 if you have DirectTV unlimited.  All include voicemail for no extra charge.

 

 

  • Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

 • 

1 Message

4 years ago

I am also very confused on why I pay the extra charge for each line for access for iPhone with vvm. Now I get what you are saying about purchasing a phone and the color is free but that is not what is showing up on my bill or was communicated. I pay a monthly phone purchase charge but then there is an additional charge for the access for iPhone, now if this is included as you say then why is there a separate charge this should all show up with my iPhone monthly purchase charge not separate and is not what I agreed to when initially speaking with the at&t rep. I already pay for the family plan, so I'm just confused what this extra charge is?

Get started...

Ask a new question