Need your talk or text logs?
TheRealGeneralInfo's profile

• 

210 Messages

Wednesday, September 23rd, 2020 2:16 AM

USB Tethering Between Cellphones and Other Cellphones and Mobile Devices

I understand that (a) USB tethering can be used between a cellphone and a computer, and that, (b) to date, there have existed security-related limitations on cellphone input. Perhaps incorrectly, a hard-wired USB connection between a cellphone and other cellphones and other mobile devices seems likely more secure and stable than Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. I seem to envision a cellphone's USB tethering output being connected to a USB tethering hub to which multiple cellphones, tablets, and computers could connect to the Internet. I would be grateful for insight on industry concerns and vision thereregarding. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

USB tethering is so 90's.  A hotspot on a phone is limited by design since they want you to buy a standalone hotspot.

• 

210 Messages

4 years ago

The issue's focus doesn't seem to be cellphone hotspot versus dedicated hotspot, but rather, wired versus wireless distribution of cellular Internet access to consuming devices.

Re: "...they want you to buy a standalone hotspot", a consumer seems to reasonably prefer a cellphone as the hub's Internet signal source if elimination of functional redundancy is sufficiently desired. Alternately, a dedicated, cellular Internet access device might be reasonably preferred as the hub's Internet signal source if a desired cellular Internet access account's cellphone is not expected to be present. Yet even further, a consumer seems to reasonably set up both a cellphone and a dedicated access-only device as Internet signal sources in order to use the cellphone as the hub's Internet signal source when the cellphone is present, to use the dedicated access-only device when the cellphone is not present, or to use both in tandem for redundancy.

The choice seems moot if the hub's Internet signal source is internal.

I welcome your thoughts.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

Again with hotspots on phone at a max 30gb on the highest plan what your saying is a moot point.

• 

210 Messages

4 years ago

Re: "hotspots on phone at a max 30gb on the highest plan", inquiry regarding AT&T's cellular alternatives to cellphone hotspots seems unachievable; the AT&T chat option seems currently unavailable. What other text-based information sources are available regarding AT&T's cellular product alternatives to cellphone hotspots?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

Fixxed wireless is the best bet

• 

210 Messages

4 years ago

Re: "Fixxed wireless is the best bet", thank you for the insight. What text-based information sources might be available regarding AT&T's related product offerings?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

That's what Google is for..  there are plenty of white papers on fixed LTE service on the internet.  

If you have time to post you have time to search.

• 

210 Messages

4 years ago

I respect the perspective. However, AT&T seems reasonably considered a better source of information than Google regarding AT&T's product lineup. Might you agree? Why might you suggest querying Google about what AT&T has to offer to achieve wired distribution of a cellular Internet signal?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.