Need your talk or text logs?
TheCodeWrangler's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Thursday, March 2nd, 2017 8:59 PM

Unlimited Plus with Wireless Home Phone and Internet and data consumption limits

I have to use Wireless Home Phone and Internet for my home Internet as there are no other connection options (except for wireles competitors)

The new Unlimited Plus plan looks like a decent option, but I am concerned about the 22GB limit for deprioritization. Does it apply to all lines or just smartphones? There are clear exceptions for the tethering data cap on the Wireless Home Phone and Internet device, but nothing is said regarding the 22GB deprioritization limit.

This is important because the tower I connect to is very congested. I already feel depriotitized several nights per week because I can barely do anything thanks to this congestion problem. (The congestion actually seems to be related to the unlimited plans AT&T has been offering already, as before the first one was introduced, I rarely had less than 12 Mbps both up and down). Yet, this device still usually uses 25+ GB/mo, thanks to daytime use.

All of my LTE devices are affected by the congestion, even those that use much less than 1GB/mo.

If the deprioritization threshold applies to Wireless Home Phone and Internet, it could be very difficult to tell the difference between slowdowns that are due to going over that threshold (my fault) or the congested tower (AT&T's fault).

PS - A couple trees on my property blew down in a recent storm. There may be room to "plant" a new one. Man Wink

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@TheCodeWrangler  It's all lines. 

But if you think you're getting deprioritiezed already then you'll get it with this plan too.

You'll also have 10 GB of data on each phone that you can tether with (that if you use in the first 22GB) won't be deprioritized. Just a thought.

FYI, I'd be using mark the spot twice a day to report congestion.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L I've seen your 100+ GB statistic in other threads and it isn't relevant. Please edit that statistic out of this thread if you want to be accepted as providing the solution.

My current data plan is a 30 GB and has no depriotitization threshold. I am not getting deprioritized (that is, I should never be deprioritized). The network is just too congested in my area (whether it's backhaul it tower related is uncertain).

How do I "mark the spot" to report network congestion to AT&T?

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

12 megabits per second is actually considered a good connection in any instance. On LTE anything above 4 or 5 MB/s is going to be acceptable and within average tolerance.

There are zero guarantees of data speeds.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@TheCodeWrangler wrote:

@Gary L I've seen your 100+ GB statistic in other threads and it isn't relevant. Please edit that statistic out of this thread if you want to be accepted as providing the solution.

It might not be for you, but for the next few people who read the thread it might be useful for them (that's why it was there, gone now).

My current data plan is a 30 GB and has no depriotitization threshold. I am not getting deprioritized. The network is just too congested in my area (whether it's backhaul it tower related is uncertain).

Of course not, it's a fixed limit account. It's part of why you're paying more for a fixed block than the unlimited plans.

How do I "mark the spot" to report network congestion to AT&T?

They have an app with the same name. 

I gues you could pribably report it on different lines too. Not sure how much is allow.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

7 years ago

@David606 For the last several months, I have regularly had speeds as slow as 100 kbps on LTE (devices that cannot get LTE, meanwhile still got 8Mbps or more, but the Wireless Home Phone and Internet device cannot deactivate LTE).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I recently got this plan and I have to say I'm very pleased. I live in a somewhat rural area and for 135 a month minus my military discount for home phone, home internet. Plus I stream direct tv now for 10 dollars a month lol.(I don't get the local channels right now as of yet.) so what I did is went down to att signed up for it and they give you 14 days to try it out so I downloaded anything I could. I used 300gigs in 4 days. I have no slowdown I have my router hooked into it. I avg 35-50mbs all the time upload and download. Ping ranges from .35 to.55. The only issue is you are stuck with a strict nat type. Yet I've had no issue playing Xbox live or anything at all. Much better then the dsl I just got rid of from frontier. Try it out for a week if you don't like it bring it back. I am just lucky I don't live near congested towers. The data cap is not a hard cap and I have yet to see me throttled at all even after 300gigs but like I said I'm not in a highly populated area compared to cities

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

7 years ago

@Durock01, I'm glad it works for you. For my part, I'm in a semi-rural neighborhood outside a medium-size city. The local tower is congested almost all the time. However, I found out that the Unite Explore allows me to deactivate LTE and finally get usable service for my home network.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I am looking for a cellular home phone that also has a WiFi hot spot

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@rickk5ric iPhones have that feature. 

The AT&T iPhone SE is under $200 at Best Buy. (It's the prepaid model but works phone on postpaid AT&T)

You need a plan that supports hotspot, which is most plans other than the cheapest unlimited plans.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.