Need your talk or text logs?
Kuzzie1's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, June 5th, 2017 1:16 AM

Unlimited Plus Plan - 22GB of data plus 10GB of hotspot

Does this mean you get 22GB of high-speed data per line AND 10GB of high-speed hotspot for a grand total of 32GB of high-speed internet data PER LINE??  Or does the 10GB of high-speed hotspot count towards your overall total of 22GB of high-speed data??

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@camman68 wrote:

I need high speed hotspot data available 24/7.  And you have it, up to 10 gigs of usage.  I am willing to use it exactly how they tell me I can.  I also want to be able to use everything that I pay for.  And how is that not happening?

It sounds like the consensus is that this is not possible with ATT.  Pardon?   So far you are able to use more than you pay for if you are exceeding 10 gigs tethered.   Not sure how you leap to some other conclusion.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

It sounds like everyone is saying that ATT doesn't enforce their data plans and it's normal that they have no idea how much I've used.  You are 100% sure that I can continue to use as much data as I am currently using and I won't be throttled?  I can ignore all of these text messages that say I'm running out of data and my speeds are going to be throttled?  And you know for a fact that the 10GB limit on the website isn't enforced?  Having ZERO data remaining before I'm half way through my billing cycle isn't acceptable!

I guess you have all been customers of ATT for quite a while so you know whether or not they enforce ANY of their data limits.  If all of this is correct and you're sure that I can use as much high speed data as I want/need, whether it's on the phone itself or using the hotspot, then I won't worry about it.  I'm still skeptical.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@camman68 

The only part I'm saying isn't being enforced is the 10GB tethering. I can't guarantee when they're start enforcing, but I know of a guy that did 90GB of tethering on his phone in the last week (over two days).

You also seem the think that the slowdown is going to be unbearable and constant.  That's not the experience that most people have. It's only while the tower is slow, once it speeds up you're back to normal. I hit 30GB last month on my line with the same 22GB and never noticed any more slowness > 22GB than < 22GB.

To me you have three choices:

1. Fret and worry about the 10GB/22GB every month. 
  2. Use the heck out of it and see if you're in one of the good areas where you can burn through 100s of GB and not have an issue. Remember they call this plan UNLIMITED. I'd lean towards that and not the "limited" part.
  3. If you're really worried, add an unlimited hotspot device to your plan for the first few months and keep it as a backup incase you do get throttled, if you see it's not a problem, cancel it and go back to step two. If you already have a 2nd line, it's only $20 more (if not it's more) but it seems worth it to know if you have 22GB or Unlimited. You could keep this forever if it's not an expense issue.

Wouldn't you like to have unlimited and not worry about it? Maybe you can. If you're in a rural area and you're getting good speeds, it's unlikely your tower is being taxed.

The 10GB might kick in at some point, I don't know why they haven't yet, it's been 5 months.  

You can track this on your phone once they start counting it. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

I used 75gb myself last month and never saw a slow down. I have a daughter that is going to hit 100gb this month. Never had a slow down. But I live in a rural area where my speed test are never under 80mbps.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@camman68 If you're getting text messages that say you're "running out of data and my speeds are going to be throttled" it makes me wonder if you are on an Unlimited Plan...

@GLIMMERMAN76 Do you get such texts? Mine's just a hotspot, but I'm surprised they don't message my phone if that's the case.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Current plan

AT&T Unlimited Plus $165.00 /mo.per month for 3 devices

You used 19.68 GB this bill period. Your 5-month average use is 12.06 GB.

Plus under "details" it says "Available per device, per month. After 10GB, speed slows to 128Kbps. Connected cars, Hot Spots, and Wireless Home Phone & Internet devices aren’t supported."

So can I still get a stand alone Hot Spot?  Or is that "not supported" with my current plan?  (I'm not going to spend $200 for a device if service isn't supported.

Plus, I can't order anything online and they don't sell these in any of the stores I've been to.  According to them, I attempted to purchase a SIM card in 2014 but the purchase was never finalized.  No one at ATT can get the old archived cart removed from "both" of their systems.  They say that the cart is in the old system but not in the new system.  When they attempt to delete, it repopulates that evening.  They are blaming this on the fact that I was on an old AllTel plan before Alltel was absorbed into ATT.  .  Even though I am now on a regular ATT plan, they can't seem to get this fixed.)

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@camman68 You've already got two devices! Then the hotspot is a no brainer for an additional $20! Use the hotspot until you can run it out of data and if it does slowdown, you've got the 10GB on the phone still, right?

This page makes it clear you can get a hotspot http://att.com/unlimited

Tethering & Mobile Hotspot: Includes up to 10GB per line per month. After 10GB, tethering speed will be slowed to a max of 128Kbps for the rest of the bill cycle (except for these products: Connected Cars, Hot Spots, and Wireless Home Phone and Internet). 

Okay, maybe it's not "clear" but the sentence is saying the 10GB is relevant unless you have a hotspot device, because a hotspot device doesn't have that constant since all it does is hotspot. Does that make sense?

I got the Velocity hotspot since it was available in a GoPhone version for $60 at Best Buy; that's the version I have and I've used it on a AT&T non-gophone plan; as far as I know it's the same as the $100 white, non-GoPhone version (the counter on the screen might work differently/better on an actual GoPhone plan).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Apparently there's a great deal of misinformation at AT&T. I've made several calls and gotten different answers on every call. Nobody at AT&T or HBO can tell me how to get my free HBO Go without subscribing to DirectTV Now (the fine print says you have to subscribe to Direct TV Now). One rep. says my hotspot counts against my data. The plan says I'm sharing 22 GB of data between my two phones but that isn't how it was pitched to me. I watch primarily DirectTV Now which isn't supposed to count against my data but it does (the rep inferred I might not be sharing all of my data usage patterns with him and there was no way this was happening). Basically I'm paying top dollar for lots of frustrations. Oh, and check your DirectTV Now payment history. I signed up for the $35 per month plan for a special price of $10 per month and they billed me $17.50 for 1/2 month and $35.00 the next month. It took 2 two phone calls and 3 transferred calls to clear that up. The bottom line is AT&T has the best wireless phone service but everything else is filled with transferred responsibility, customer guilt inferences and lots of fine marketing and legal print that nobody ever reads until they have issues.

I have the AT&T Unlimited Plus Plan with Unlimited Talk & Text, 22GB data, 10GB Hotspot, Free HBO(ha!ha!) <> 2 phones

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@AffinityTalk wrote:

Apparently there's a great deal of misinformation at AT&T. I've made several calls and gotten different answers on every call. Nobody at AT&T or HBO can tell me how to get my free HBO Go without subscribing to DirectTV Now (the fine print says you have to subscribe to Direct TV Now).

1) Go to DirectTVnow
2) Click start free trial
3) DO NOT immediately type in your email address, etc., to create an account
4) DO click on Verify Your Number link to enter your ATT phone number to get your free HBO account
5) After typing in your phone number, you receive a text message you need to respond to for verfication
6) You then type in your email address and pick a password
7) You get two options - HBO free or HBO plus Live TV. The second option costs $10 a month. Be sure to click the first for just HBO for free. You can then logout of DirectTV.
😎 Download HBOGo app. Choose DirectTVNow as your provider when setting up your HBOGo account. You'll need to type in your DirectTVNow email address and password to verify DirectTVNow is your provider. You'll then be able to set up and HBOGo account.

One rep. says my hotspot counts against my data.   Yes it does.

The plan says I'm sharing 22 GB of data between my two phones.  No you each have 22 gigs.

but that isn't how it was pitched to me. I watch primarily DirectTV Now which isn't supposed to count against my data but it does.   If you watch on your mobile devices, it will show in your data counter, but is not deducted from your plan.  ( I have a limited plan and have watched as much as 14 gigs of free DTVN in a month) 

(the rep inferred I might not be sharing all of my data usage patterns with him and there was no way this was happening). Basically I'm paying top dollar for lots of frustrations. Oh, and check your DirectTV Now payment history. I signed up for the $35 per month plan for a special price of $10 per month and they billed me $17.50 for 1/2 month and $35.00 the next month. It took 2 two phone calls and 3 transferred calls to clear that up.

Never should have been billed for 1/2 a month.   It is not unusual for the credit not to kick in right away.  It should validate through your wireless account.  

The bottom line is AT&T has the best wireless phone service but everything else is filled with transferred responsibility, customer guilt inferences and lots of fine marketing and legal print that nobody ever reads until they have issues.

Don’t know if they are the ‘best’.  It’s working for me, the only alternate, Verizon is equal for me.  Both networks have declined near me.   The left hand has no idea what the right is doing.  Customer service is rated 2nd to last.  

I have the AT&T Unlimited Plus Plan with Unlimited Talk & Text, 22GB data, 10GB Hotspot, Free HBO(ha!ha!) <> 2 phones

Hopefully that answers the 2 big questions.  As usual they keep changing things.  Hopefully have not altered the sign up for HBO again.

Guru

• 

483 Messages

6 years ago

I just spoke to a rep at AT&T and he stated that the 22GB is total for all lines combined. He also stated that the 10GB for tethering is per line which makes ZERO sense. I have 4 smartphones, an iPad and a mobile hotspot. If you just count the phones and the iPad that's 50GB of tethering but I am subject to a slowdown if we exceed 22GB. I think I read somewhere on AT&T's site where it said per line but I haven't been able to find it again.

Can anyone verify what the correct answer is?

Bill

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.