For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
Kuzzie1's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, June 5th, 2017 1:16 AM

Unlimited Plus Plan - 22GB of data plus 10GB of hotspot

Does this mean you get 22GB of high-speed data per line AND 10GB of high-speed hotspot for a grand total of 32GB of high-speed internet data PER LINE??  Or does the 10GB of high-speed hotspot count towards your overall total of 22GB of high-speed data??

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Here is what happened.....

I decided to use my iPhone to stream my "DirecTV NOW" (which is completely different than "DirecTV".  According to ATT website, Hotspot data is 10GB per month.  Once you've used 10GB, it says it WILL slow speeds to 128.  I assumed that I could use up the 10GB.  Once it slowed down, I would stop streaming.  Instead, it never slowed down and it appears that it just started eating up the remainder of my monthly data.  When I asked ATT, they said that I had used 0.97GB of hotspot data this billing period.  This is completely incorrect.  I watched the Directors Cut of "The Watchmen" in HD and it is a little over 3 hours long.

Since the website said the Unlimited Plus was limited to 10GB, I didn't think I'd be allowed to go over.  The ATT rep just keeps talking in circles and won't answer any questions.

I've read elsewhere that ATT has no way to tell people how much of their hotspot data has been used.  Is this correct?  Is there any way for a customer to check this data?

Additionally, the first ATT rep says I've used 22.8GB.  The second rep says I've used 18.6GB.  Texting *data# says I've used 19,007 and the ATT app on the phone says I've used 19.6 GB.  

"Yes, the AT&T UNLIMITED PLUS℠ plan includes 10GB Mobile Hotspot/tethering per line per month. After 10GB, tethering speed will be slowed to a max of 128Kbps for the rest of the bill cycle. All tethering data usage for that line, including sponsored data if tethered, will be impacted after reaching 10GB in a bill cycle.  The AT&T UNLIMITED CHOICE℠plan does not include mobile Hotspot/tethering (except for eligible Connected Cars, Laptop Connect, Hotspots, and Wireless Home Phone and Internet.)."

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@camman68 You can check on your phone on how much tethering has been done. (AT&T doesn't seem to be slowing it yet)

It's UNLIMITED, I'm not so sure why you are so worried about it. Unless you are suffering from severe deprioritization where you live, then I wouldn't even be concerned.

What device are you hot spotting to watch DTV NOW?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

According to my phone, I have used 23.4GB in "Personal Hotspot".  According to AT&T, I've used 0.97GB.

According to my phone, I've used 81.5GB of Cellular Data in the current period.  According to ATT, I've used somewhere between 18 & 23 - depending on who you ask.

I'm worried because I live in a rural area so DSL, Cable, etc is not an option.  The ONLY data I get is from ATT.  At this point in my bill cycle, I should still have 15+GB left.  According to them, I have ZERO left.  

Is it really too much to ask for ATT to provide accurate info to their customers?  They already get to write all the rules and people must agree to them.  Since they get to write them, is it too much to ask them to abide by them?   There are quite a few of us who think that they are just about the crappiest company on the planet.  We tried to stay away from them but they bought our last two cell companies so we have no other options.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@camman68 It's UNLIMITED, how do you have ZERO left?

(make sure your "current period" is set properly)

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Yes, I have unlimited data but it's only highspeed until 22GB.  Then, it's downgraded to 128 which is basically useless.

Or are you saying that they do not throttle their customers after 22GB?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@camman68 wrote:

Yes, I have unlimited data but it's only highspeed until 22GB.  Then, it's downgraded to 128 which is basically useless.

Or are you saying that they do not throttle their customers after 22GB?

The 128 slowdown is for the 10GB tethering only.

The slowdown at 22GB is NOT automatic (nor is it specified to be 128kbps). It's only if your towers are overloaded. If you're rural, your towers might never get overloaded. There are people who use 1,000+ GB (over 1TB) and never notice being slowed down (or the few times it's possibly happened they aren't sure it wouldn't have happened even if under 22GB).

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

They DO NOT throttle at 22 gigs.  At 22 gigs your line is reprioritized.  Which means you only slow down if towers are congested. 

Im puzzled why you care if the errors are in your favor?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

So many of you seem to think it's weird that I'm worried about my data.  Evidently, you've never been throttled when you least expect it.

Yes, the error is in my favor TODAY.  What happens tomorrow when I'm on my laptop trying to upload pictures of our rescue horses to our website and they have cut me back to 128?  I guess I can just drive 20 miles to the nearest restaurant.

Thanks anyway for your help

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

I need high speed hotspot data available 24/7.  I am willing to use it exactly how they tell me I can.  I also want to be able to use everything that I pay for.  

It sounds like the consensus is that this is not possible with ATT.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@camman68 Have you been throttled over 22GB yet?

You can add a hotspot device to that plan for the same cost as a phone.  

(The 10GB stuff is irrelevant for the physical hotspot).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.