Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
Check Your Usage History
bovverwonder's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sun, May 14, 2017 12:49 AM

Unlimited Plus Data Speed

I grandfathered the old unlimited data plan and I currently cannot add additional lines to my plan so I would have to switch to a new plan. My concern is the data speeds of the Unlimited Plus and Choice. The Choice plan indicates the max speed of 3Mbps but under Unlimited Plus it only says "Our fastest speeds" which is suspicious. So I went ahead and chatted with ATT customer serviced and I was told that the Unlimited Plus download/upload speeds are 5-12Mbps and 3-10Mbps relatively. I did a Speedtest app on my grandfathered data plan and I'm getting 60Mbps download and 18Mbps upload speeds! What a HUUUUUGE difference! My brother currently has the Unlimited Choice plan and his speeds are about 3Mbps download/upload.....Pretty weak if you ask me! So I guess my question is, does anyone have the Unlimited Plus data and use the Speedtest app to measure the actual data speed? I'm curious if it's somewhere around 5-12Mbps as I was told. Thanks in advance!

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 y ago

I've seen some very rare stories of some overly congested areas that people slow down significantly at 22GB (constant super slowdowns). If they are getting to 22GB and they hadn't before (going higher because they have the tethering option now) that could be an issue.

To clarify everything on postpaid is "Our fastest speeds" except the CHOICE plan.

"Our fastest speeds" is not a consistent number, it's just whatever they can get you at that time.  Sometimes it's might be 5mbps, sometimes it's 90mbps.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

22.5K Messages

4 y ago

This is from unlimited plus after I had use almost 45 gigs of data....  Now I will say I dont live in a area that is going to see a congested tower.

Screenshot_20170702-163051.png

Teacher

• 

7 Messages

4 y ago

Incorrect. I "upgraded" to unlimited plus. It's horrible speeds. Was getting 40 on the grandfathered now I'm getting 5 if I'm lucky. Spent 2 hours on the phone trying to cancel my service and the call got disconnected. Called back and it says they're closed. GREAT USE OF MY TIME. I refuse to pay $40 more monthly than what I was paying for the same exact plan I had before. No one mentioned the downgrade in speed when switching to unlimited plus. These shady practices should be outlawed. It's all just a scam to increase your bill. At this point it's not even about the money. I'll pay twice the cost at any other company before I stay with AT&T after this stunt. 

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

22.5K Messages

4 y ago

@GiovanniG wrote:

Incorrect. I "upgraded" to unlimited plus. It's horrible speeds. Was getting 40 on the grandfathered now I'm getting 5 if I'm lucky. Spent 2 hours on the phone trying to cancel my service and the call got disconnected. Called back and it says they're closed. GREAT USE OF MY TIME. I refuse to pay $40 more monthly than what I was paying for the same exact plan I had before. No one mentioned the downgrade in speed when switching to unlimited plus. These shady practices should be outlawed. It's all just a scam to increase your bill. At this point it's not even about the money. I'll pay twice the cost at any other company before I stay with AT&T after this stunt. 

@GiovanniG

The goto another carrier...  As you can see from my speedtest I dont have slowdowns...  One of my kids used 75.5gb last month and seen a slowdown once on the way to a football game.

ACE - Sage

• 

90.6K Messages

4 y ago

@GiovanniG  Why are you all over the forum, rather than telling ATT to fix it?   You have unlimited Plus, it is no different speed or priority wise from your old plan.  

ATT has something wrong.  Make them fix it.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

54.5K Messages

4 y ago

@GiovanniG Why are you refusing to believe the problem you are having does not apply to everyone? There is no scam, whatever is happening to you and people you know is not supposed to happen. There is a problem clearly but there is no scam. 

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

4 y ago

Wrong the individual who posted this is correct as it is the reason I did a search and ended up here. After many overage fees I was furious. They put me on this unlimited choice plan and the speed is ENTIRELY NOTICEABLE! I’m as angry as they come!!!

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

4 y ago

And to be clear I am referring to the mobile speeds and cell plan, not home. That was a whole other scenario of hoops to jump through before AT&T finally brought up there long time customers to speed with the rest, it’s utterly sickening how this company operates!

ACE - Sage

• 

90.6K Messages

4 y ago

@chrisross wrote:

Wrong the individual who posted this is correct as it is the reason I did a search and ended up here. After many overage fees I was furious. They put me on this unlimited choice plan and the speed is ENTIRELY NOTICEABLE! I’m as angry as they come!!!

docking points for not reading the thread.....  The unlimited CHOICE plan is published at a 3 Mbps speed, that’s why it’s cheaper.   The PLUS plan, which is the topic, is full speed.  

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

4 y ago

Fine and dandy & I couldn’t care less about your invisible pints, what I care about is to not  keep getting the run around and lied to by this company when spending hours on the phone with them to assure them I don’t get knocked down or lose  features I once had with the plans I’ve been with before and with the new one and with every new plan I get this is the exact situation I come upon. First lost my grandfathered unlimited plan years ago due to incompetence and it’s gone downhill from there. My plan was an emoloyee plan from 1998 and I swear they’ve lost my business  

ACE - Sage

• 

90.6K Messages

4 y ago

@chrisross

it’s like you ordered the small fries and want to know why you didn’t get the all you can eat buffet.   You have to be on the Unlimited Plus plan, which is full speed.  

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

4 y ago

I’m sorry I do not wish to seem rude to you, my point is it’s gone from one disturbing mishap, by uninformed reps or sales, and with every plan change I get the bad end of the stick. Loosing critical parts I must have for my business. I travel non-stop and the level they have completely done me wrong is off the charts with me explaining and asking all these questions. Before I had the plus plan they put me here from my overages.

sell they didn’t tell me there is no mobile hot spot with the choice. And that they speeds are utterly ridiculous. So what go back?

ACE - Sage

• 

90.6K Messages

4 y ago

Apology appreciated.  The specifications, limitations and prices for every plan are available to us, and we can change them ourselves within our My ATT Account.  Login and select ‘change plan’.  

Click on the + for details on the plan.  

B0A2DBB3-8343-4F83-8142-6FC84A69286D.png

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

54.5K Messages

4 y ago

@chrisross Even if you did not choose unlimited choice, you are free to switch to unlimited Plus at anytime. What features do you think you lost from your old plan? Other than the speed restriction, I’m not aware of anything else the old plan had that your new plan does not. Now if you are talking about losing a FAN discount, fair point.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

4 y ago

Will do... and, first of all, I apologize for my typos also as I am normally very critical of others for just that but my anger and the fact I’m walking through an airport now hasn’t helped.

Now, in just looking at your screen print, I am paying $160 a month for ONE line! My data was at 15GB a monfh with my prior plus plan with 10 in plan and 5 extra from appreciation of something. So I’m sure I’ll loose that now again too, which will again only validate my explanation of how each change screws me! I originally called because I was getting an average of 3-6GB of extra data a month at $15 a pop per GB. Then on months I didn’t go over the system was not calculating my rollover data to properly go on the next month. So it was the Dept of Justice flashback all over again thinking they were doing me wrong. So now, honestly I don’t know what to do as I know either I’ll loose my appreciation extras, will be screwed on rollover, will be charged an arm and a leg for overages, & all along the way will get the more horrid service imaginable to man if I attempted to call or chat with one of their representatives. I honestly think I am at the end of the line. Like I said if that one sales rep never pitched me some gold at the end of the rainbow plan on whatever it was back in the day, I never would have left the original unlimited plan and been grandfathered over without all this headache.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.