Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sat, Apr 2, 2016 9:22 PM

Unlimited Data plan and Mobile Hotspot?

Does the new unlimited data plan not allow you to use your phone as a hotspot?.

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.8K Messages

4 years ago

@pgrey.  Ah, I see what you mean.   These connected cars require a data plan to run navigation or report an accident.  All by itself it could use 1 gig a month for Nav.

The $40 option gives the car line the same unlimited data as a phone or tablet.  If you are hauling around a laptop for work, this is a huge bonus.

How many do you think might try to use it to hook up the house?   LOL.  Movie night in the garage with smart TV.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.8K Messages

4 years ago

@pgrey. Sounds like you are off for an evening Bike ride.  

I will confess, I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser with no Bluetooth, so when it comes to connected, the closest it comes is the pop up garmin on the dash.  It's faulty (I call her Amelia) but it's free.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@lizdance40 Try?  They're already working on it.  

In the garage, your're funny! They've already pulled them out of the vehicles (or else they're buying the same replacement item). One issue is it times out after 3 hours...

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

You can't hook it up in your home because the Mobley is powered by ODB-II port. I mean I guess a technically adept person could rig something up but ODB-II used direct current from a car's electrical, not the AC in our homes.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@David606 I'm not saying hypothetically it's feasibly, I'm saying it's actually being done. 

Even if I hadn't known about it, I'd still assume someone is...

(Never say "can't" [or "never"]!)

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.8K Messages

4 years ago

@Gary L

@pgrey

I should know by now if I think of it, some crafty dickens is putting it to practical use.  

Just for giggles.  The Verizon's thread at the bottom in response to the announcement from Big red they are going to drop customers using excess data.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/android/verizon-disconnection-tiered-plan-data-users/

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/914176

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@pgrey.  Ah, I see what you mean.   These connected cars require a data plan to run navigation or report an accident.  All by itself it could use 1 gig a month for Nav.

The $40 option gives the car line the same unlimited data as a phone or tablet.  If you are hauling around a laptop for work, this is a huge bonus.

How many do you think might try to use it to hook up the house?   LOL.  Movie night in the garage with smart TV.

Yep, exactly, it's really convenient, to be able to use the connected car, as a hotspot, for my laptop or tablet, for work (or the kids to watch a movie on a long trip, or ...).

How is that different from me getting an unlimited plan for my phone though, and tethering my laptop?

I get where running your whole house off your phone doesn't scale, but I don't understand the difference between the laptop/tablet/whatever, in the connected car, and the same, connected to my phone?

Is there something fundamental I'm missing?

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@Gary L

@pgrey

I should know by now if I think of it, some crafty dickens is putting it to practical use.  

Just for giggles.  The Verizon's thread at the bottom in response to the announcement from Big red they are going to drop customers using excess data.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/android/verizon-disconnection-tiered-plan-data-users/

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/914176

Yeah, exactly, if you can abuse it, someone will, but we're talking about the .0xxx% here, or thereabouts.

I think they just ought to just give you the 22GB, or whatever, and then de-prioritize, and make 110% sure that's in big letters, in the plan.

That way, if a bunch of people are abusing it, they'll all fall into the low-pri bucket, some in short order, and be competing for the same low-pri resources.  Seems like this would discourage the abusers, at least somewhat.

I think the industry will eventually address this differently anyway, as faster tech comes along, they'll have to adjust, @lizdance40 and I have mused over that before.  When you can use your entire MSV plan in the course of an hour, or less, things will have to change, maybe ;-]

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

42K Messages

4 years ago

@pgrey wrote:
How is that different from me getting an unlimited plan for my phone though, and tethering my laptop?

@pgrey From a technical standpoint it is no different but from a business standpoint it is a major difference. What would be the point of even having a connected car if the car couldn't act as a hotspot? The car itself doesn't really need the connectivity. Have you seen the various car commercials touting the wifi capability? The only way ATT or any carrier sells connected car is to make it hotspot capable and ATT wants very much to corner the connected car market. 

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

@sandblaster This sounds kind of bad, at least the way I read it.

It's saying "no, you can't tether your laptop to a normal (phone) hotspot, with Unlimited, no way, no how, you absolutely cannot do it!".

"Oh, but if you have a car, and want unlimited tethering, to watch videos, browse, work, whatever, that's all okay, because we're trying to corner the market, so we don't care".

At least from an ethical standpoint, it seems pretty sketchy, not sure about a regulatory one.

Think if you gas station had some cheap gas, a cut-rate deal, but they said you could only sign up for a plan to buy one tank/month, or similar, for your average car.

Oh, but wait, if you have a XYZ car, you can sign up for the same plan, but buy as much as you want, no limits, because we want those XYZ cars in our place, you're really spiffy customers.

You can bet there would be some very interesting "dialogue" surrounding this, to say the least...

Myself, I don't care about the Unlimited plan (MSV is fine for our use), I use my Fiber connection for most "bulk" data anyway.  I just always go hmm, when I see things like this, by nature.

What's not fine for me, is the WiFi calling things previous in the thread, similar type of "exclusion" or "inclusion", based on having a "special" device.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@pgrey So like CostCo, if you buy this special little card we'll give you a discount and free samples.

If you buy this special car, we'll let you tether unlimited...

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

I don't know, in my mind it's more like:

- Buy a car of your choice, nope, you can't use unlimited tethering, ever, and BTW, it's impossible, no one can do it, ever, period.

- Buy a car that we've selected as one of a small subset (if you like the subset and all, and can afford it, etc.), we'll let you tether unlimited.  Oops, we forgot about the "small exception" for "impossible", please excuse us ;-]

I'm not even sure why I'm debating, since I don't want unlimited anyway, it's more of the principle of choice thing, I want to have cell/text coverage in the winters, when I only have WiFi, but still own my device.  

I'll probably end up begrudginly buying a secondary Android phone, for the near-term, and swap SIMS on the weekends, until things get "fixed", it's just a little hard to stomach.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@pgrey I'm the guy that never says never (or impossible!)...

I think the exceptions are okay as long as it's clear what the exceptions are, they're expanding and trying it out...

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

42K Messages

4 years ago

@pgrey I think you are over thinking this. Its a simple business issue. ATT has a product to sell, connected car. That product has no market without wifi hotspot and they don't want to exclude any of their customers by not including unlimited. I also don't think connected car users will use all that much data and I suspect ATT believes that also. I just don't see someone sitting in there parked car with a laptop just so they can tether. Think about how much time you actually spend in a car as a passenger or how much time you drive your own car with passengers because the bulk of data will be used by passengers on short trips. 

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

20.3K Messages

4 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

@pgrey I think you are over thinking this. Its a simple business issue. ATT has a product to sell, connected car. That product has no market without wifi hotspot and they don't want to exclude any of their customers by not including unlimited. I also don't think connected car users will use all that much data and I suspect ATT believes that also. I just don't see someone sitting in there parked car with a laptop just so they can tether. Think about how much time you actually spend in a car as a passenger or how much time you drive your own car with passengers because the bulk of data will be used by passengers on short trips. 

@sandblaster

no but i can take a obd 2 port powered with a ac to dc converter and use it in my house.  Would not take more than 10 min to do.

Get started...

Ask a new question