Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sat, Apr 2, 2016 9:22 PM

Unlimited Data plan and Mobile Hotspot?

Does the new unlimited data plan not allow you to use your phone as a hotspot?.

Responses

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

@Gary L wrote:

@pgrey What do you mean by "Apple WiFi calling on unbranded phones"?

iPhone is essential not branded, other than "Apple". No boot animation either.  Wifi calling worked just fine on the Verizon/CDMA version of the iPhone 6 Plus I owned last year. 

Because it is one iOS, without variations like Android, it's pretty easy for all iPhones to be accommodated. 

This is true, but the part of the OS, on the other phones (Andriod, Windows) that is used by WiFi calling constructs and code paths, are unaltered, by any OEM changes.  Trust me, no one goes and reinvents IPSec or basic packet handshakes, in an OEM implmenetation.

AT&T could very easily enable this on many, many phones with built-in features, tomorrow, if they chose to, just like they enabled it on iOS.

They won't, because there's not a giant, unified company, like Apple, putting the pressure on them.

I think that eventually, most of these features will "fall out", much like VVM, and MMS, many of which were "semi-custom" at one point or another.  It's just tough, when you know you're paying for a feature, and it's disabled "just because".  

Clearly I'm going way off the philosophical end here, please excuse my rant...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78K Messages

4 years ago

Re: connected cars have the same limits as tablets.  

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/unlimited-plan.html

ATT is being held to a different standard than Sprint and T mo with respect to wifi calling.  Why?

ATT would like at least that answered.  I beleive the FCC is trying to level the field, which is not its job.

FCC hit everyone for cramming.  Everyone has been hit for privacy issues at one time or other.  Verizon got his for a different tethering issue.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@lizdance40 From the Unlimited Data page you linked to:

"CONNECTED CAR HOTSPOT: Devices connected to your car’s hotspot via Wi-Fi use your plan data."

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 6.59.30 PM.png

What are you doing with unlimited data in a car if you aren't tethering?

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 7.05.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 7.06.19 PM.png

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

@pgrey Are you saying it works on all (most) carriers if unbranded or it does not work?   

It works, 100%, if you have the latest iOS and all.  Not branded or necessarily sold by AT&T, but an Apple product.

A good comparison would be the Nexus 5X and 6P, which could easily be enabled, tomorrow, by AT&T, and you can bet Google tested the crud out of their WiFi calling on it, given that that's how project Fi runs, mostly.

A perfect example of about as "pure" an implmenentation you can get, yet no provisioning, just because.  @GLIMMERMAN76 and I have discussed before too, I think he's equally frustrated, but less overall vocal.

Even if you take a random Android phone, say the S5, I would be anything that you could trace the codepaths for their IPSec and other WiFi calling constructs, and they're exactly the same, as another "plain vanilla or pure" implementation.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@pgrey Never say 100% (especially on the internet!)...

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

AT

@lizdance40 wrote:

Re: connected cars have the same limits as tablets.  

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/unlimited-plan.html

ATT is being held to a different standard than Sprint and T mo with respect to wifi calling.  Why?

ATT would like at least that answered.  I beleive the FCC is trying to level the field, which is not its job.

FCC hit everyone for cramming.  Everyone has been hit for privacy issues at one time or other.  Verizon got his for a different tethering issue.

AT&T *was* being held to a different standard, or were holding themselves, arguably.  They were given a full 2 year free-reign to go and implement WiFi calling, like the other carriers, and then review for an extension. 

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db1006/DA-15-1141A1.pdf

I believe AT&T is trying to use the FCC as a "delay tactic", while they figure out their story here, and decide how they're going to implement.  They wanted to prevent everyone else from implementing in the meantime, because they "look bad".  We disagree here, a bit, but that's okay, it's a discussion forum, and we'll probably never know what actual "back room" discussion went on anyway ;-]

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

@pgrey Never say 100% (especially on the internet!)...

Okay, fair point, I'm sure you can find exceptions, but they're exceptions... ;-]

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@lizdance40  Here we go "AT&T Unlimited Data Plan Users Can Now Add Unlimited In-Car Data" http://www.eweek.com/mobile/att-unlimited-data-plan-users-can-now-add-unlimited-in-car-data.html

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78K Messages

4 years ago

From the unlimited data FAQ

the car cannot directly use data.  So a 1 GB or unlimited is offered, just like tablets.

image.jpeg

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

I'm NOT trying to claim that the other carriers are without fault here, not even close, they ALL have their issues, and are being called-to-task, rightly.

But, AT&T is way behind on this area, and while everyone else is trying to delight their consumers, it seems like they want to try and get the FCC to slow down their competition, instead.

Is one more "right", probably not, that's subjective, and depends on your feelings about consumer access and the like.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 years ago

@lizdance40 Then why offer the $40 plan for cars.

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

From the unlimited data FAQ

the car cannot directly use data.  So a 1 GB or unlimited is offered, just like tablets.

The car *can* use data, read the part about "keeping occupants entertained" on long trips and such.

I don't think this is about the occupants pouring over the online maps and selecting a restaurant for their next stop, they're connecting, with other devices too ;-]

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

@lizdance40 Then why offer the $40 plan for cars.

Yep, that 1GB plan oughta' be PLENTY, if you're doing some map browsing, and picking some stops or making a reservation or similar...

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78K Messages

4 years ago

I'm sure the ones trying to mess with other carriers are not the same guys who should be rolling out marshmallow and whitelisting certain phones for HD voice.

@Gary L and I have exchanged PM in some of the deficits.  Transparency and training are a problem.  

These issues are another side of the business that is full of promises that customers are still waiting for.  Dribbled out, and in some cases taken back.  FM radio, wifi calling top the list.  The liberal policy of allowing BYOD is great, but it's and open door, with a trip wire.  

I'm a former Verizon customer.   Each time I consider the reception, I want them back.  But what a controlling, customer crushing soulless company they are.  I left when they started More Everything and ATT started Mobile Share Value plan. ME wouldn't let customers move over without buying new phones, MSV did not.  ME allowed discount only if you were paying for a phone on installments, MSV did not.  ME required you call and apply the out of contract discount once your Edge discount expired, MSV is a automatic discount.

Verizon has now taken away the discount on the ME plan, rewind to 2.5 years ago.

Its why I'm with ATT, and why I will deal with the number 2 reception.

whoa....rant...

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4 years ago

Yeah, I agree, not the same guys, by a LONG shot (rolling out vs messing with others vs. deciding about HD Voice, etc).

Agreed, no one has really great policies.  TMobile probably is the closes to having consumer-friendly ones, but they're not very viable, for a lot of users.

Agreed, on the promises thing, that started back in 2014, when they said 2015 was the year to roll out WiFi Calling/text, to many more devices, and here we are, halfway through 2016, hmm.

Anway, I'll rant-off as well, re-enter "try to help the masses figure out issues" mode, after I get out and put in some miles in the saddle, I was going anyway, and now could really stand to de-compress ;-]

Get started...

Ask a new question