Need your talk or text logs?
jmacciola's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, April 2nd, 2016 9:22 PM

Unlimited Data plan and Mobile Hotspot?

Does the new unlimited data plan not allow you to use your phone as a hotspot?.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@pgrey

Lets not go there yet.  The jump from 3G to LTE was enough of a shock for some customers.  

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40Too late, the rest of the world is going there, fast, literally and figuratively ;-]

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

8 years ago

@pgrey: In USA mostly on DSL or Cable see 500meg internet.😉

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@MR_SMiT wrote:
@pgrey: In USA mostly on DSL or Cable see 500meg internet.😉

Yeah, well, right now mostly you have to get Fiber to get that kind of speed here (I don't have 500, and where I live I can only get maybe 150-200, if I wanted to pay for it).

In this frame of reference though, I was talking about upcoming wireless/cell standards, which is why @lizdance40 got concerned that I was really going to confuse/stir up the natives ;-]

Right now, there are very few use-cases for 500 or 1GB, realistically, for an end-user.  Not saying they don't exist, but I think mostly gigabit is a marketing tool, given the other bottlenecks, and data limitations anyway.

My point was that the upcoming standards will allow a user to stream or whatever, right through the current plans that have tethering enabled, in a manner of minutes, so eventually it would seem somthing will need to change.

I'm a bleeding-edge kind of guy, always have been, often gets me in trouble, but I wouldn't have it any other way, for most stuff ;-]

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@pgrey

Most of the natives can understand why they use more data on their phones.  I'm thinking the prices will go down as ability to use goes up.  It's the few that don't get it that give me the yips.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I'm very unhappy about this, has anyone check with the FCC?

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

What is the FCC going to do? They can't force a carrier to implement a feature if they don't want to. The unlimited data terms are clear, no tethering is allowed. It's for the device only.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Did you know Verizon is cracking down, just like T-mobile did last year.  Customers using 200 plus gigs a month are in for a shock.   I've read at least one customer brag they hacked their phone and were tethering against the rules to the tune of 600 gigs a month.  

http://www.digitaltrends.com/android/verizon-disconnection-tiered-plan-data-users/

Att sends out letters if they suspect tethering, threatening to move customers to tiered plan.

And YES, read the terms of service.  Carriers can suspend or terminate service without warning if you are breaking the rules.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

@David606, ask your boss! Additionally, they monitor unfair business practices. We purchase unlimited data, you shouldn't be able to limit what that entails. Also, you're already throttling after a certain point. So why not allow tethering?

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

You're getting unlimited data.....on the device it's intended for.

Sharing that data with a computer, tablet or something else is not. It's adding a second device to the AT&T network and that is a violation of the unlimited data terms and conditions.

It's not an unfair business practice because the terms of the plan are available to everyone before they get on the plan. If you don't like the terms, you can vote with your wallet and find a provider that fits your needs. The FCC, FTC, whoever isn't going to be a nanny or police these arbitrary things. They have no right to tell a private network owner how to do business. Especially because you can just go with another carrier. Cellular is not a utility. There are no local monopolies.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.