For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
Tboy72's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, April 23rd, 2016 11:12 AM

Throttling for unlimited data

I am a new customer and have the unlimited data, talk and text plan for my Galaxy S7. I read that Att may throttle my data speeds during periods of congestion.

Please explain this to me. Does that mean that after 22 gbs of data in a billing cycle, Att will automatically throttle my data, or that in certain circumstances they may throttle my speeds and then return the speeds to normal?

So if my area is not considered congested, I may not get throttled at all?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

If you are on an unlimited data plan with ATT You are NOT throttled.  

Reprioritising is not throttling.  

Why did you receive a dated email?   Did you switch to an ATT unlimited plan within the past couple of days? 

With the date they mentioned, I believe they are on an original iPad unlimited plan. I believe these have not had the reprioritization limit and memos have gone out stating that they will now have the 22GB reprioritization applied to those accounts next month.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

@lizdance40 wrote:

If you are on an unlimited data plan with ATT You are NOT throttled.  

Reprioritising is not throttling.  

Why did you receive a dated email?   Did you switch to an ATT unlimited plan within the past couple of days? 

With the date they mentioned, I believe they are on an original iPad unlimited plan. I believe these have not had the reprioritization limit and memos have gone out stating that they will now have the 22GB reprioritization applied to those accounts next month.

Those are rare.   The FYI to the poster is simple:  there is no carrier that doesn't have a throttle or repriotritised data policy.  Not a single carrier offers a truly unlimited data plan.

Verizons old plan was.   T-mobile briefly offered one.  

Complain all you like, but ATT is just one of the crowd.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 AT&T could educate people better on how this is NOT throttling.

An additional sentence or two could help:

• This is not "throttling" (which is an automatic slow down), what we are saying is when the network congestion clears up, you will return to normal speed (this might only be for a few minutes).
  • Keep in mind that's IF you even encounter congestion, many users report never (or very rarely) encounter this phenomenon (or if they do, they don't even notice).

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L

A formal statement would help the ones who read.  You know how often we have described the difference and it is not understood.  

Throttling:  computer limited speed for the remainder of a bill cycle at maximum 128kbps (2G speed)

Repriortise:  line must except network congestion like everyone else.  This means without any congestion there will be no difference in speed well past the 22 gig mark.  Network minimum is 3G speed, which is 100 times faster than 2G.  

Note: We have no reports of slow down before or after the 22 gig mark.  Some customers report using 100 gigs or more.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

A formal statement would help the ones who read.  You know how often we have described the difference and it is not understood.  

But by leaving it out, they're adding to the confusing by not offering enough info.  At least give themselves the option to say "we sent you a nice explanation" (instead of a fuzzy one)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Agreed.  And I like the way you worded it.  Throw in some numbers about 3G speeds and it would sew it up nicely. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

Agreed.  And I like the way you worded it.  

Thanks!

Throw in some numbers about 3G speeds and it would sew it up nicely. 

I never heard that was a minimum before today (so that would be useful!). 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

I'm sure that can be disputed individually by those claiming to have no internet via cellular.  Heck, even happened to me in one location this week.  But it wasn't congestion or throttling, just a fringe location.  

But with 2G shut down, the network minimum is 3G.  

I think the most important, but unquantifiable information, is the lack of complaints from customers on unlimited plans.  I'm sure there are some who experience at least occasional slow down after 22 gigs.  They don't seem to show up here.  And not in my circle of connection either; Zero complaints from friends/clients on unlimited, many of them in the Enfield CT area, which has excellent service for all carriers and is densely populated.  Or in Cord Cutter groups which are local and national. 

Not showing up in tech news, which is always quick to bash carriers.  They have already taken shots at Verizon, saying the new unlimited plan has created network congestion for all users, with about 15% of customers complaining.  (See Mark Twain on statistics)

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

I'm sure that can be disputed individually by those claiming to have no internet via cellular.  Heck, even happened to me in one location this week.  But it wasn't congestion or throttling, just a fringe location.  

But with 2G shut down, the network minimum is 3G.  

They could choose to make it slower for deprioritization if they wanted, they slow MSA plans down to 2G...

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

The MSA plan is truly throttled to 2G (128kbps) once the cap is reached.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.