Need your talk or text logs?
Tboy72's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, April 23rd, 2016 11:12 AM

Throttling for unlimited data

I am a new customer and have the unlimited data, talk and text plan for my Galaxy S7. I read that Att may throttle my data speeds during periods of congestion.

Please explain this to me. Does that mean that after 22 gbs of data in a billing cycle, Att will automatically throttle my data, or that in certain circumstances they may throttle my speeds and then return the speeds to normal?

So if my area is not considered congested, I may not get throttled at all?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Tboy72 wrote:
I am a new customer and have the unlimited data, talk and text plan for my Galaxy S7. I read that Att may throttle my data speeds during periods of congestion.

Please explain this to me. Does that mean that after 22 gbs of data in a billing cycle, Att will automatically throttle my data, or that in certain circumstances they may throttle my speeds and then return the speeds to normal?

So if my area is not considered congested, I may not get throttled at all?

After 22gb, you might get throttled if network congestion requires it, so yes if you live in an area that does not have high demand, you may not get throttled at all. We have seen posters here claim to use 40gb and more per month with no throttling. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I have unlimited data and don't live in a area that is congested, but every time I hit 5gb my phone is throttled down so much I can no longer use the internet..................

EVERY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

To be completely accurate .......

ATT does not throttle either its grandfathered or New unlimited data plan.

Throttling is the practice of turning the speed down on the data once the line reaches the designated 22 GBs and it remains at 2G speed for the remainder of a billing cycle.

As stated in the ATT terms for unlimited data, the line is reprioritised once it reaches 22 gbs, so that tiered data plans get top priority.  This means that those unlimited data plans may experience slow data if the network is congested during the remainder of the billing cycle.

Many unlimited users report no change or only occasional change in data speed well past 22 GBs of use.

@johnawp300.  Since the threshold is 22, not 5, you may have a problem with your line or account.  Contact ATT directly by private message and ask why here @ATTMobilityCare.  

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

johnawp300 it hasnt been 5gb for months. That is the old throttling policy, not the one this thread is about. That policy is no longer in place

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

So, AT&T does admit to throttling, I thought that AT&T was fined for this. I don't think this sends a good message to your customers. I realize that federal regulations are changing but I thought that AT&T would still endeavor to provide the best service to their customers. If after 24 May I experience any throttling of service I will switch carriers.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

Your reading skills are at risk my friend.  ATT has NOT throttled unlimited for over 2 years.  

FYI the thread started a year ago, when there was only one current unlimited option.  

There are 2 options now, and one is limited to 3mbps, which is computer throttled speed.  

Neither the plus or choice plan is throttled after that.    

The mobile hotspot on thenplus account is throttled to 3G after 10 gigs.  That does not effect the rest of the plan data.   

Not throttled...

Leave?  And go where?  No carrier provides truly unthrottled data.  T-mo throttled at 28 gigs.  Verizon and ATT reprioritize at 22 gigs.  Sprint throttled around 28 I think.  But are hardly worth mentioning in the same discussion.

Reprioritzing and throttling are not the same thing.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Riccik67 ATT was not fined for throttling, they were fined for not adequately notifying customers they would be throttled. The FCC was perfectly OK with the throttling policy but as already pointed out, that policy was discontinued years ago. If you do switch to any other carrier, you might want to read their network management policy. Every single carrier has a policy similar to ATT's and they all stipulate data speeds may be slowed after a certain amount of usage.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Not to get too personal but I think my reading skills are pretty good. At least good enough to be able to work my way through an email that was sent to me today from AT&T stating that after 24 May 2017 slowing down of data once a certain data limit is met (i.e.throttling) or as you like to put it “reprioritizing” will take place.

So, that being said…I appreciate your responding to my query however, if this occurs I will go to a different carrier since other carriers will be able to provide the same slow service as AT&T but at a cheaper rate. Additionally, since other carriers may be throttling that should be all the more reason that if AT&T valued its customers as much as they claim they do then they should not follow suit.

This conversation is over, thank you.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

If you are on an unlimited data plan with ATT You are NOT throttled.  

Reprioritising is not throttling.  

Why did you receive a dated email?   Did you switch to an ATT unlimited plan within the past couple of days?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Riccik67 Did your email say data will be slowed or may be slowed? It should have said "may" be slowed. So what's the significance? Many customers report going well past 22GB with no slow down and I fully expect that to continue after May 24. No carrier throttles for no reason. They do it because their network is overloaded and they need to throttle heavy users so that other customers can use their data. It's called network management. The more network capacity a carrier has, the less likely they will need to throttle anyone. ATT and V clearly have the most capacity. You need to ask yourself do those other carriers have sufficient network capacity to do the same thing or will they need to throttle more often. Now if you do get slowed or throttled or whatever you want to call it, maybe switching is the right thing.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.