Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Celebrate all that he does with a gift for every kind of dad!
LaurenHorne's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thu, Apr 16, 2015 2:28 AM

Text Delivery Report

My sister and I have the same phone (Galaxy s5 ) I have att and she has verizon. She's able to have Delivery Reports saying that she can see when someone reads a text. I don't have that luxury. My phone just upgrade to Lollipop 5.0. I spoke to Samsung and they said that it depends on the carrier....that's not fair...why should at&t customers have to be the last customers to receive the update and not get all of the features Verizon customers get??????

Responses

ATTMobilityCare

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

6 y ago

Hey @LaurenHorne

I’d be happy to help! SMS Delivery Reports only allow the sender to see that the text message was delivered to the recipient. At this time, they do not allow for the sender to see if the text message has been opened or read.

I hope this helps explain this feature!

Charise

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 y ago

I figured that out. But I think it's crazy that verizon has that option but
we don't

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 y ago

@LaurenHorne,
That really did not address the question. We know what sms and mms delivery reports do and what they mean. What we are wondering is why AT&T, one of the largest comm companies in the world, still does not have this within our network. I'm in the medical field and many times, it's important that we can validate that our messages get through to the intended recipient or at least tobtheir phone. Also, has the FCC approved our wifi calling yet?
Thanks,
Mike  AT&T customer

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 y ago

@Mikeheck2009 wrote:

I'm in the medical field and many times, it's important that we can validate that our messages get through to the intended recipient or at least tobtheir phone. Also, has the FCC approved our wifi calling yet?
Thanks,
Mike  AT&T customer

I'd use something else, other than text, if you're that mission-critical, in that field, such as an email with a delivery-receipt (and read-receipt too, if their server supports the protocol).

Same too, @LaurenHorne, if you really need delivery/read-receipt, I'd use another mechanism, email, anther messaging app/protocol (many of them support this), etc.  There are a bunch of alternatives.  I know not being able to get it natively isn't the best answer, but...

The FCC approved WiFi caling back in 10/15, we're just waiting for some implmentation (I'm on Windows phone, if you happen to have/love iOS, then you're in luck, AT&T has implemented WiFi calling on that platform, exclusively).

Even before the 10/15 decision though, other carriers were implementing on multiple platforms, and the FCC was sort of "turning a blind eye"; I don't think this has really been the blocker, at any time recently.  AT&T was sort of trying to get the other carriers "penalized", by drawing it to the FCC's attention, you can go back and read about it, there are various FCC filings, easy stuff to find.  This is one of my personal pet-peeves, sorry for the hijack @LaurenHorne.  

In AT&T's defense, I will say their (non-metro) coverage outweighs some of these "issues", Verizon is probably the one carrier that has both, others fall far short in this critical area.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

49.7K Messages

5 y ago

@Mikeheck2009 wrote:

That really did not address the question. We know what sms and mms delivery reports do and what they mean. What we are wondering is why AT&T, one of the largest comm companies in the world, still does not have this within our network. I'm in the medical field and many times, it's important that we can validate that our messages get through to the intended recipient or at least tobtheir phone. Also, has the FCC approved our wifi calling yet?
Thanks,
Mike  AT&T customer

Because the SMS protocol does not support it. I am a bit skeptical that Verizon has such a capability. Have they implemented their own version of the SMS protocol? Even if they did, there is no way they would know if a text sent to an ATT subscriber was read. 

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 y ago

Yeah, my sister has Verizon and she has that capability but not att

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 y ago

Sandblaster,
Yes, Verizon has this and TMobile has this. I can validate thise two
companies as I have been a customer in the past. Although it is not quite
as up to date as iMessage (where you can see if a message was read) it can
assist greatly to know that the other party's phone has received the text
(which is exactly what Verizon's and TMobile's systems do). Now for AT&T,
MMS does give a received receipt but not for SMS still. Sometimes I add a
small pic to turn a SMS into an MMS for this purpose. Hmmmm, guess I could
also just include myself in the "send to" and make it a group (MMS) as
well.... Loophole!

Anything one the AT&T wifi calling yet? They were waiting for FCC approval
last I spoke to Corporate.

Thanks,
Mike
pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 y ago

Yeah, @Mikeheck2009 your method of a small pic is probably the simplest.

It would appear that if you use SMPP, then AT&T supports a callback for delivery receipt, documented here.

Inluding yourself is the same deal.  

Apparently some carriers have wrappered SMS to add to the protcol, for things such as delivery/read receipt, but since the generally published SMS protocol doesn't support this, it won't be cross-carrier functional.

AT&T has had approval for WiFi C, since 10/15, many of us are waiting to see what their next steps are.  Any posts from their reps just say to get an iOS device, which clearly isn't a long-term solution (or at least not hopefully).  Many other carriers started implementation before this date, and the FCC seemed to turn a blind eye, so it's not without precedence, implementing on LOTS of non-iOS devices.

Unfortunately, no carriers I can choose, in the US anyway, support it on (unbranded) Windows Phone, yet.

Edit: added the "unbranded" qualifier, there is one carrier that supports it on a couple of branded Windows phones, but their coverage doesn't work for my area of the US, plus I'm un-branded, all the way ;-]

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 y ago

@pgrey
Thank you! That has been the best explanation and intel to date. I
appreciate it.

Wifi calling on T-Mobile works wonderfully on Android and iPhone, I dont
know about Windows though.

Thanks,
Mike

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

I don't even know whether my text messages are delivered or not.  how do I set it up? I use Note 5 Samsung

Get started...

Ask a new question