Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need your talk or text logs?
sdarca22's profile

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

Thursday, December 24th, 2015 10:11 PM

So called "unlimited data" plan rate increase?

I cannot believe the unimitigated gall of AT&T.  I received a letter today extorting me into surrendering my unlimited data plan that has never been unlimited.  I hope the FCC nails you to the wall with fines for your immoral business practices.  We'll see how that court case is resolved.

How can you justify an increase in cost for a service for which you've charged me for several years yet never provided?  How can you sleep at night?

The TWO times we managed to use over 2GB of data in one month, AT&T choked the speed to the point that FaceTime calls regularly dropped.  This did wonders for our attempts to stay in touch with our grandchildren.  So much for helping your customers stay in touch.

Yeah, yeah, some company spokesperson (read: hired liar) will chime in with a bogus explanation about how it "really is unlimited" yet cannot resolve the fact that choking the speed IS limiting the data.

Let me help you understand, since the company cannot comprehend simple English.  Here is how Merriam-Webster defines UNLIMITED:

• without any limits or restrictions

• not limited in number or amount

• lacking any controls : unrestricted<unlimited access>

If you choke the speed, you ARE limiting the data.

This is how a major company treats a customer who has always paid the bill on time and in full since 1983.

Precisely what are you charging an additional $5/month for anyway?  It clearly hasn't cost you any extra because you don't allow the data usage to approach even moderate, much less excessive, use.  When you choke the speed the data usage nearly ceases.

I think it's time to explore other wireless options.

Final clue for the hired liars that will chime in with the party line: If you limit the speed, you limit the data, hence making it a LIMITED data plan.  Now you want to extort more money for this service that you never have provided.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

8 years ago

How I even got involved in this thread is beyond me. I don't know if I've ever used more than 3 gigs in a month. I'm usually on wifi.

"If service is slow for you after 22 GBs, it would be slow for other customers as well."

Why do they even have a demarcation of 22gbs if that's the case? In "other customers" do you mean other "unlimited" or all will slow?

Honestly, I don't understand the ban on tethering up to the 22gb threshold. After that, since they set an arbitrary cap, I totally understand. You are paying for unfettered access up until 22gbs. How and when you use it should be at the user's discretion but only until 22gbs.

I also understand the fear of "truly unlimited". Having become a bit of a techie (installing bathrooms and kitchens isn't as easy past 45), I do realize some people run their houses on cell data and a small percentage use a huge amount. That wasn't the intent of offering cellphone data. 

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

8 years ago

As I predicted in the OP the company monkeys are out and dancing. I provided a definition of "unlimited". You people obviously are fans of Bill Clinton and his infamous statement regarding the definition of "is."

I think the cruise buffet is a poor analogy. I've been on several cruises, and I don't recall them using the word, "unlimited." They clearly stated the hours that special dining areas were available. My original contract with ATT did not state ANYTHING about congestion or peak hours.

I also stated above that I received a CHOKEHOLD warning text last summer. I maintain that since we have never approached double shared digit data usage that they were using the 3 or 5GB level, NOT the 22GB that the employees keep claiming.

I HOPE you are correct and that we will no longer experience the chokehold again based on the alleged 22GB level on the new plan. I remain skeptical (see above).

The illogic of the argument about trusting other sources than the contracted TOS is astounding.

Mentor

• 

88 Messages

8 years ago

I used the cruise analogy in trying to defend you and the claim that they don't guarantee full speed, only unlimited access. I stand by the analogy. You are a tough critic. Enjoy your afternoon.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@sdarca22 wrote:
As I predicted in the OP the company monkeys are out and dancing. I provided a definition of "unlimited". You people obviously are fans of Bill Clinton and his infamous statement regarding the definition of "is."

I think the cruise buffet is a poor analogy. I've been on several cruises, and I don't recall them using the word, "unlimited." They clearly stated the hours that special dining areas were available. My original contract with ATT did not state ANYTHING about congestion or peak hours.

I also stated above that I received a CHOKEHOLD warning text last summer. I maintain that since we have never approached double shared digit data usage that they were using the 3 or 5GB level, NOT the 22GB that the employees keep claiming.

I HOPE you are correct and that we will no longer experience the chokehold again based on the alleged 22GB level on the new plan. I remain skeptical (see above).

The illogic of the argument about trusting other sources than the contracted TOS is astounding.

Several people posted evidence of the new 22GB policy but you refused to believe and kept citing something you saw that you believed to be the TOS. You have posted no evidence of what you saw but cited it showed data would be slowed at 3/5GB. Here is a link to ATT's wireless agreement, the official TOS, there is no mention of 3GB or 5GB or 22GB. Whatever you saw was not the TOS: http://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement-list.html

As to reference to getting a notice last summer, you probably did and yes, ATT was throttling at 3/5 GB then. The new 22GB policy started in September, but had you looked at the PCWorld story I provided, you would have known that. 

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

8 years ago

I have attempted to remain civil. I'm done. {keep it courteous}

I stated that the TOS were from ATT when I changed to the unlimited all data plan. It was on the ATT website YESTERDAY directly above the "confirm" button to officially change my plan. It is not antiquated information. It is not misinterpreted. It is not misunderstood. I read it twice to be sure of what I read.

Because of my experience with this company for over three decades, I actually read the TOS. I was curious as to whether there was any veracity to the claims from the employees here. The TOS disagreed.

Of course in the world of ATT the customer is always WRONG. As someone else mentioned, I hope you don't destroy DirecTV. Unsurprisingly my notice of the acquisition included an increase in rates. Now I suppose I need to find out if you'll choke the data to the DTV receivers during "congestion".

Guru

• 

321 Messages

8 years ago

I just went to the page to change my plan to the "new" unlimited plan.

sdarca22 is correct as to what the TOS says when you go to agree.

This is a direct copy of the data portion:

Data Unlimited:

If you are a grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan customer, you agree that "unlimited" means you pay a fixed monthly charge for wireless data service regardless of how much data you use. You further agree that "unlimited" does not mean that you can use AT&T's wireless Data Service in any way that you choose or for any prohibited activities, and that if you use your unlimited data plan in any manner that is prohibited, AT&T can limit, restrict, suspend, or terminate your Data Service.

AT&T may also reduce your data throughput speeds at any time if your data use exceeds an applicable, identified usage threshold during any billing cycle. Currently, the threshold is 3 gigabytes on a 3G or 4G smartphone and 5 gigabytes on a 4G LTE smartphone, but AT&T reserves the right to change either threshold in the future. If you exceed the threshold, your speeds may be reduced through the end of your monthly billing cycle. During this period, you will still be able to use unlimited amounts of data, but your data throughput speeds may be reduced. Any temporary speed reduction will be lifted upon the start of a new billing cycle. There are no speed reductions if you use Wi-Fi, and Wi-Fi data usage does not count against the thresholds. For more information go to www.att.com/broadbandinfo and www.att.com/datainfo.

If you read the first sentence it is about "grandfathered unlimited plans".

It doesn't state the 22gb limit that is advertized in all the other documents.

I don't know if this is just an oversite on AT&T's part for failure to update this portion of the TOS?

I went to the link www.att.com/datainfo and it states 22gb, so I think they just used the old TOS  and didn't correct the limit.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@billsite34 wrote:

I just went to the page to change my plan to the "new" unlimited plan.

sdarca22 is correct as to what the TOS says when you go to agree.

This is a direct copy of the data portion:

Data Unlimited:

If you are a grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan customer, you agree that "unlimited" means you pay a fixed monthly charge for wireless data service regardless of how much data you use. You further agree that "unlimited" does not mean that you can use AT&T's wireless Data Service in any way that you choose or for any prohibited activities, and that if you use your unlimited data plan in any manner that is prohibited, AT&T can limit, restrict, suspend, or terminate your Data Service.

AT&T may also reduce your data throughput speeds at any time if your data use exceeds an applicable, identified usage threshold during any billing cycle. Currently, the threshold is 3 gigabytes on a 3G or 4G smartphone and 5 gigabytes on a 4G LTE smartphone, but AT&T reserves the right to change either threshold in the future. If you exceed the threshold, your speeds may be reduced through the end of your monthly billing cycle. During this period, you will still be able to use unlimited amounts of data, but your data throughput speeds may be reduced. Any temporary speed reduction will be lifted upon the start of a new billing cycle. There are no speed reductions if you use Wi-Fi, and Wi-Fi data usage does not count against the thresholds. For more information go to www.att.com/broadbandinfo and www.att.com/datainfo.

If you read the first sentence it is about "grandfathered unlimited plans".

It doesn't state the 22gb limit that is advertized in all the other documents.

I don't know if this is just an oversite on AT&T's part for failure to update this portion of the TOS?

I went to the link www.att.com/datainfo and it states 22gb, so I think they just used the old TOS  and didn't correct the limit.

Thanks for being civil unlike the other poster. I can't explain you seeing what you did but the link I posted to the Wireless Terms and Conditions which is the official TOS contains no wording about slowing data at 3GB, 5GB or 22GB. The first paragraph and first line of the second you posted above that starts "If you are a grandfathered AT&T unlimited data plan customer" is there in the TOS under paragraph 6.2. The rest of what you posted that starts with "Currently, the threshold is..." Is not there. 

Again, I can't explain what you saw but would surmise that it is a combination of items from the TOS and additional items deemed relevant. As you obviously saw, parts of it do not match the referenced page for more info. The point I've been trying to make is the terms of service do not list specific thresholds. The terms of service only stipulates ATT has the right to institute a network management policy and has the right to reduce data speeds (again para 6.2). The TOS does not list specific thresholds

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

8 years ago

@sdarca22

one or two have complained they get slow data at 3-5 GBs.  If that is happening to you and those on tiered plans are not also having slow data - Call and complain, loudly.  

@billsite34

Thanks for bringing that to our attention.  Obviously an error and I sent a message to have it fixed.  I wouldn't have checked because I'm not eligible.

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

8 years ago

sandblaster, it listed threshholds when I changed contracts, just as billsite34 verified.  I don't know what it shows now.  I have no interest in trying to convert the true believers, because they cannot accept any dissent.

Mentor

• 

30 Messages

5 years ago

HahahahahahahA!

{keep it courteous}, I refer you to the $60,000,000 fine just imposed by the FTC.  

The FTC apparently did not agree with your (and ATT’s) rationale regarding unlimited data plans. 

Go ahead. Tell me again how it was MY misunderstanding.  Evidently the FTC saw through the lie. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.